Polaris ATV Forum banner

15 850 sportsman transmission removal

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  850sprtsmn 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new here. I bought a 2015 Polaris sportsman 850 and I've had a couple cvs go, a universal in the front prop. Stuff that's no big deal. But today I unloaded my wheeler at my friends and went down the road, went up a hill and the transmission started to grind bad!! I removed the front prop to make sure it wasn't the yoke splins going or a bad diff. It's not the rear diff. I have it narrowed down to the transmission. The bike always shifted hard into gear. I bought it used and currently have 2400 miles on it. It's a pretty bad grinding sound. I'm almost 100% positive it's the transmission/gear case. I'm going to pull the oil plug out tomorrow to see if it has metal in it.

If that's the case. Anyone have any tips or a write up as to how remove a transmission out of one of these bikes? What seals to get while it's out. Stuff like that.

Thanks!

#2 ·
See if there's a Clymer's manual that covers that bike. It'll give you step-by-step directions. Way better and more reliable than you'll get off a forum. I've always found them to be worth the coin. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I dug into it, pulled trans/gearbox. Pulled clutches off. Separated transmission housing. 23 tooth gear was missing half of its teeth and the chain was chewed up. It was around 170$ to fix it. I just ordered a used transmission off of eBay that had 600 miles on it instead. Only question I have is how many quarts of fluid does the transmission on these hold?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.