Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > Polaris ATV How-Tos

Polaris ATV How-Tos Polaris ATV How-Tos, Guides, FAQs put together by the PolarisATVForums.com membership.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #19655
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
We just did the same thing on our 2007 500. starter from DB electric rebuilders, also replaced the bendix ($25).

Ours was not a X2, the bottom screw was a booger, just enough room , the head hits the back of the cover behind the clutch assembly. had to use ong needlenose and wrench, turning aobut 1/4 turn at a time.

the bottom screw is tricky, but it can be done.
My bottom screw on my 500 is just sitting there not screwed in.. I could not get it to thread in... so hopfully the top screw is enough to hold it in... the bike is not ridden aggressively so I am not too worried about it...
-QSC Clutch kit
-3500# Polaris winch with Synthetic Rope
-Polaris Front Brush Guard
-Polaris Lock n Ride front and rear storage
-Polaris Mid Lock n Ride Windshield (smoke)
-60" Warn ProVantage Plow
-Symtec Hand Warmers
-K&N Air Fliter
Old Machines:
2006 Sportsman 800 EFI, 2005 Sportsman 700 Carb, 2004 Sportsman 500HO Carb, 2000 Sportsman 500 Carb
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #19217
Place a flathead behind the head of the bottom screw and apply some pressure in while turning the wrench , it will thread back in.

And as for the guy with the problem starting. You wont really know whats wrong till you get everything apart. When you take the recoil housing off you will be able to diagnose both your pull start and your bendix ( = starter drive)
Old 08-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Member #1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog812 View Post
Place a flathead behind the head of the bottom screw and apply some pressure in while turning the wrench , it will thread back in.

And as for the guy with the problem starting. You wont really know whats wrong till you get everything apart. When you take the recoil housing off you will be able to diagnose both your pull start and your bendix ( = starter drive)
The starter drive is different from the bendix...right? I was going to go with this combo right here...

DB Electrical - STARTER DRIVE Combo POLARIS ATV 325 335 425 500 PA102 COMBO SMU0061K 18645

I was going to assume that I had the same problem as you, or at least it make sense to me that I did from your posts. The bendix is the part that you should of replaced with the starter the first time right? I'm going to replace both when I tear it down, but what are your thoughts?

My particular situation, if the bendix is malfunctioning, then isn't it plausible that it's why the pull-start won't make a compression stroke? The 4-wheeler ran fine right up till it quit starting from the pull-start. Previously, the battery had sat in storage, but it started first try. By the end of the weekend it wouldn't start under the electric start. I used the pull-start till the end of the day (Sunday), got it home, and used the pull-start to get it off the trailer. The next morning, I went to put it up, and the pull-start went limp after the first pull. By limp, I mean it will recoil, but would not make a compression stroke. When I put the new battery in it had the same exact behavior as it did when it wouldn't start before I started to use the pull-start. I even hit the side of the pull case with a rubber mallet as per a thread out here, but it was to no avail.

Now I'm starting to think that the reason some need to hit the pull-start side is, because of the bendix malfunctioning, or ready to fail...

I thought I had a grip on this situation, what do y'all think? Am I wrong on with what I'm assuming?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #5254
Send a message via Skype™ to WilliamBos
Bendix is a brand name for a starter drive, like mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItODDospeed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog812 View Post

The starter drive is different from the bendix...right? I was going to go with this combo right here...

DB Electrical - STARTER DRIVE Combo POLARIS ATV 325 335 425 500 PA102 COMBO SMU0061K 18645

I was going to assume that I had the same problem as you, or at least it make sense to me that I did from your posts. The bendix is the part that you should of replaced with the starter the first time right? I'm going to replace both when I tear it down, but what are your thoughts?

My particular situation, if the bendix is malfunctioning, then isn't it plausible that it's why the pull-start won't make a compression stroke? The 4-wheeler ran fine right up till it quit starting from the pull-start. Previously, the battery had sat in storage, but it started first try. By the end of the weekend it wouldn't start under the electric start. I used the pull-start till the end of the day (Sunday), got it home, and used the pull-start to get it off the trailer. The next morning, I went to put it up, and the pull-start went limp after the first pull. By limp, I mean it will recoil, but would not make a compression stroke. When I put the new battery in it had the same exact behavior as it did when it wouldn't start before I started to use the pull-start. I even hit the side of the pull case with a rubber mallet as per a thread out here, but it was to no avail.

Now I'm starting to think that the reason some need to hit the pull-start side is, because of the bendix malfunctioning, or ready to fail...

I thought I had a grip on this situation, what do y'all think? Am I wrong on with what I'm assuming?

Will

2004 GMC 1500CC Z71.

2012 Sportsman 400HO
4,400+kms and counting

Free Service Manuals.
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...s-manuals.html
Old 08-27-2012, 04:27 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #19217
Yeah that is the correct combo..
you might want to take your recoil housing off first , make sure your starter drive / bendix actually needs replacing. Literally takes 5 mins..
Old 08-27-2012, 04:35 PM

Member #1555
dog812, take the recoil housing off first and check what first? That that piece (the other part in the combo that I showed? Moreover, what is that part called?) is functioning properly? How do I check my starter drive?

I'm really new to this, so thank you for everyone's patience, and help.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:41 PM

Member #29465
This is a great post with pictures, thanks all!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #19217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItODDospeed View Post
dog812, take the recoil housing off first and check what first? That that piece (the other part in the combo that I showed? Moreover, what is that part called?) is functioning properly? How do I check my starter drive?

I'm really new to this, so thank you for everyone's patience, and help.
you will see in my latest pics on this thread, the picture of the bendix or starter drive, whatever you want to call it.
It sits just on top of the fly wheel basically.. as soon as you open the recoil housing, it will basically be the only other thing in there.
It will just come out, no tools. Make sure its extending and retracting. Mine, as you can see from the picture, was stuck in the extended position..
The recoil housing removed. You can see where the bendix sits right above the flywheel. You can see the little indent where the end sits.

Bendix 's

Basically your starter turns, the motion causes the starter drive to extend, the teeth grab the flywheel , turns it and starts the bike. Then when you turn the key back, the starter stops and the starter drive should retract back so its not touching the flywheel anymore. Or what happened in my case, it did not retract and was spinning as fast as the flywheel was spinning, which was too fast for the starter and burnt it out.

Last edited by dog812; 08-27-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 PM

Member #1555
bendix = starter drive (on the flywheel)
starter = starter

That threw me for a loop.

I firmly believe that what happened to you is what has happened to me. My bendix was not releasing immediately and burnt my starter out. The sound it made when I started it was always a horrible sound on the flywheel side. I will look at the bendix first, take some pics, and get back out here. I want to order the parts now, but I will wait until I see the bendix. I will have to wait till the start of next week one way or another, because...

I am currently waiting for a new coil-pack on a street bike, so I have to wait a few days. Moreover, one of my plug wires has to be ordered from Japan. Yeah! I have a garage stall for all my motorcycles, and have a method to my madness for tear down. I only have so much space that I'm afraid of getting the two bikes confused one way or another. Like I said, limited DIY capabilities.

Thanks for the help dog!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Member #29582
stripped starter bolt

i replcaed the bendix in my 2006 sportsman and had some problems while trying to take off the starter. the bolt that will not back out all the way has becomed stripped to some degree because i messed up. any idea how to get that bolt out given the circumstances?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > Polaris ATV How-Tos

Tags
diy, polaris, sportsman, starter

Search tags for this page
1994 polaris 300 4x4 starter removal
1994 polaris sportsman 400 starter removal
2000 sportsman 335 starter replacement
how to change a starter on a polaris sportsman 500
how to change a starter on polaris 335 sportsman
how to remove starter polaris sportsman 90
polaris 300 4x4 starter removal

polaris atv starter removal

polaris ranger starter removal

polaris sportsman 400 starter removal

sportsman 90 starter removal
starter
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.