Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > Polaris ATV How-Tos

Polaris ATV How-Tos Polaris ATV How-Tos, Guides, FAQs put together by the PolarisATVForums.com membership.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 02:39 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #19217
how to : Polaris Sportsman remove starter - pics

This was done on a 2007 sportsman 500 X2, but if the starter is on top of your motor it should be very similar.

After lots of searching i found people saying a couple different ways to get the starter out. The easiest way was to remove the starter below the airbox. So i did that today.

Polaris wanted $80 for the rebuild kit, or $400 for a new one. DB Electrical has rebuilt ones for $43 w/ free shipping. Polaris starter # 3084981

No fancy tools needed just a 10mm wrench, pliers, hammer, screwdriver and a torx t25.

First off disconnect your ground. remove your seat and un bolt your airbox. You will see the starter on top of the motor.

Next you will need to loosen off all the hose clamps for both breathing tubes and any other tubes or wires in your way. It will be very self explanatory.

You will need the torx t-25 bit to move the brake fluid filler tube out of the way. 2 bolts.
Moved the brake fluid filler.

The starter is only held in with 2 10mm bolts. The one on the left will be too long to pull out while in the machine so you need to back it out as far as it will go.
10mm wrench

Screw too long to come out.

The starter itself will be pressure fitted in so i used a long screwdriver and a hammer. And hit the end of the screwdriver from the right side of the machine to push it out till it was loose.

Then turn the starter to the right, or towards the other hole. It will all come out together.

That is it.. probably took 30 mins. not even.

done.. awaiting new starter.

Starter arrived in less then a week. Install was the same but reverse.
Pics.

My shop... glad it decided to snow today. :P

Last edited by dog812; 02-24-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Nice write-up, maybe this can get moved to the how to section

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Great threads! Moved to the how-to section to get some exposure.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
Great threads! Moved to the how-to section to get some exposure.
Thanks BL

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM

Member #1555
Hello forum, I have a 2005 Sportsman 500 H.O., and I was wonering if the install will be the same as pictured above. I only have 80 hrs on the bike - I just use it for track days, and racing events mostly. I was really surprised that this happened so soon, or with so few miles.

I have one more tidbit of info, it happened at last track day. I finished the day with the pull start, and now it seems that the pull start has no torque when being pulled. It retracts, but has no pull on the engine. I can pull it, but its like pulling a string with no resistance that just retracts.

Thank you for your input, help, and keeping this forum alive.

~Todd
Old 08-21-2012, 01:03 PM

Member #29203
We just did the same thing on our 2007 500. starter from DB electric rebuilders, also replaced the bendix ($25).

Ours was not a X2, the bottom screw was a booger, just enough room , the head hits the back of the cover behind the clutch assembly. had to use ong needlenose and wrench, turning aobut 1/4 turn at a time.

the bottom screw is tricky, but it can be done.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 PM

Member #1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
We just did the same thing on our 2007 500. starter from DB electric rebuilders, also replaced the bendix ($25).

Ours was not a X2, the bottom screw was a booger, just enough room , the head hits the back of the cover behind the clutch assembly. had to use ong needlenose and wrench, turning aobut 1/4 turn at a time.

the bottom screw is tricky, but it can be done.
Thanks for your reply.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, what a bendix? Moreover, did you get "STARTER DRIVE Combo" part number "SMU0061K 18645?" What is that little part with the starter (is it the bendix)? Shouldn't I just replace that part with the "STARTER DRIVE Combo" anyways, since I'm already there?

Any ideas as to why my pull start won't make a compression stroke?

Thanks, Todd
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #19217
UPDATE:
Well i blew the starter, again.... In the future i wouldnt replace a starter without replacing the bendix... takes a extra 20 mins.
After buying another starter, a generic solenoid, and a bendix. I got them all locally from brighouse auto electric in richmond bc. $50 for starter and bendix, $20 for solenoid. All in stock. Poalris wanted $400 for starter, $200 for bendix and $80 for solenoid i think??

I took the bike apart and found that the bendix was not releasing. So basically the starter was turning as fast as the flywheel was and fried it.

Its very simple, just take the 9 or so 8mm bolts around the recoil housing out, and the bendix will basically come out with a wiggle.

The generic solenoid was very simple install as well, and a third of the price of the polaris one. I cut the wires from the old solenoid so i still had the clip. Wired up the same. Yellow wire was the ignition. Blue was the grounded wire. As the solenoid needed them to be a cetain way.

but everything went easy. Any questions just ask.
Pics:
Stuck in the engaged position.

The recoil housing removed. You can see where the bendix sits right about the flywheel.

Bendix 's

New starter and generic solenoid.

Last edited by dog812; 08-22-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 AM

Member #29203
I think "Bendix" is just a brand name from old days, which is reallyjust the starter drive.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:47 AM

Member #1555
Yeah, I will need to do both as well. I noticed that on this thread, it was suggested to do the bendix with the starter.

I always noticed a weird noise when starting my 4 wheeler from the pull-start side for years. I took it to Polaris and they told me it was normal. Besides price - another reason to DIY.

Judging from the symptoms, the starter stopped working, the battery was still good, and finally the pull string quit working. Seems I have a severe case of Polaris-starter-itus, I will take surgery pics as well, and post here afterwards.

Thanks forum, If there's any advice, please tell me - I need it...

Last edited by ItODDospeed; 08-27-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: grammar

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > Polaris ATV How-Tos

Tags
diy, polaris, sportsman, starter

Search tags for this page
1994 polaris 300 4x4 starter removal
1994 polaris sportsman 400 starter removal
2000 sportsman 335 starter replacement
how to change a starter on polaris 335 sportsman
how to remove started from 2005 sportsman 90
how to remove starter 2005 sportsman 90
how to remove starter polaris sportsman 90
polaris atv repair videos starter replacement

polaris atv starter removal

polaris ranger starter removal

polaris sportsman 400 starter removal

sportsman 90 starter removal
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.