Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > Polaris ATV How-Tos

Polaris ATV How-Tos Polaris ATV How-Tos, Guides, FAQs put together by the PolarisATVForums.com membership.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7183
How to set wheel alignment. "Now with pictures!"

I thought I would make a quick "How-to" on setting wheel alignment since I was flipping my tie rod ends and I was going to have to re-align the wheels anyways.

Here's some of the tools you will need...

1.) Start with the ATV on a smooth and level surface, like a cement garage floor or driveway.

2.)Center up (Eyeball It) the handle bars and lock them into place with 2 ratchet straps, one on each side of handle bars. This of course prevents them from moving when your adjusting the tie-rods.

3.) Place two Jack Stands approximately 2 feet in front of the atv even with the outside edge of the two front wheels.

4.) Wrap a length of string all the way around the ATV and Jack Stands, Start and end at the rear hitch. Make sure the string is the same height from the ground on all 4 wheels. I like to attach a few elastic bands to both ends of the string before attaching the string to the hitch. This makes it easier to adjust the strings when moving the Jack Stands.

5.) Break lose the inner and outer tie-rod nuts. NOTE! Make sure you use 2 wrenches, one on the nut and one on the ball joint. Damage can occur by only using one wrench.

6.) Adjust the string by moving the Jack Stands in or out untill the string just touches both of the side surfaces of the rear tires on each side of the ATV. This will take some time to get it right but it needs to be done! The strings should be as close to the centerline of the rims as possible.

Check manufacturers wheel alignment specifications on your specific make and model before you adjust any components.

For this wheel alignment I'm using the Polaris Specs which seems to be a common setting.
Polaris - The recommended toe alignment is 1/8″ to 1/4″ toe out. This is a total amount, not per wheel.

7.) On the front rim, measure the distance from the string to the rim at the front and rear edges of the rim. The rear measurement should be 1/16″ - 1/8″ (.2 to .3 cm) more than the front measurement.

8.) If an adjustment is necessary, Turn the tie rod itself with a wrench or your hand in small increments. It doesn't take much to move the tire a long way, so go slow. Keep re-checking your measurement's until you have a 1/16″ - 1/8″ differance to the string.

9.) Once your satisfied that you have the correct "Toe Out" measurements you can tighten up the inner and outter tie-rod nuts on both sides. AGAIN...make sure to use 2 wrenches.

10.) Now take your ATV for a test drive to test your adjustments. If it still pulls one way or the other, just repeat the above steps to tweek the adjustments again utill your happy.

The whole process only takes about 15-20 min.
26" Mudlite XL's, Clutch Kit, 3 Headlight Mod, 1/4" Front Wheel Spacers, 1" Front Spring Spacers, Uni Filter, Heated Grips, 12V Electrical Accessory Panel, Etrex GPS Handlebar Mount and hardwire, Passenger Seat with Cargo, Horn, Snorkeled Vent Tubes, Mossy Oak Graphic Vinyl Wrap, 2500 Runva Winch, ShockPro's Camo Shock Covers
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Nice job with this Rich!
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19629
will have to bookmark this! great write up.

ITP 25" XL Mudlites
STI HD2 Matte Black Alloy Wheels
48" Polaris Plow
Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #23588
Awesome...needs to be a sticky at the top
Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Good useful writeup!

I have been using the 36-48" X 3/4" alum angle iron method for about 25 years on my jeeps and ATVs. Simply attach the angle to each of the front tires, centered and even. Now measure between the ends... adjust as needed>

Versions of the same, GOOD JOB!

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #5212
Awesome post!

Stew

SOLD 2010 Sportsman 300: Polaris 2500 lb. Winch, Kolpin Rear Seat (for the dog), UNI Foam Filter
SOLD 2006 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI: 27" Mud-Lite XTR, Superwinch Terra 35 w/Synthetic Rope, Polaris HD Front Springs, OEM Front Bumper Guard, WES Rear Seat, Kimpex Fender Guards w/Footpegs, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter, Symtec Heated Grips
Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Supporting Vendor
Premium Member

Member #1219
Thanks for taking the time to show us!

Owner of Thor's TheATVSuperStore.com. Where we test what we sell and only sell the best!

2012 Sportsman 850XP Orange Madness. TheATVSuperStore.com lock and ride rear box, 60" American Eagle Plow w/ETS, Collett headsets, heated grips/thumb, shield, ATV Mirrors, 3 in 1 ATV hitch, RotoPax fuel pack built in front box, Orange Ricochet A Arm Guards, 26" STI Black Diamond XTR tires on HD3 Wheels, TheATVSuperStore Helmet & HID lights all from www.TheATVSuperStore.com
Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Member #25050

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #5254
Send a message via Skype™ to WilliamBos
Thanks for posting these pics. :-)

Will

2004 GMC 1500CC Z71.

2012 Sportsman 400HO
4,400+kms and counting

Free Service Manuals.
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...s-manuals.html
Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 AM

Member #26465
I thought I would make a quick "How-to" on setting wheel alignment since I was flipping my tie rod ends and I was going to have to re-align the wheels anyways.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > Polaris ATV How-Tos

Search tags for this page

adjust toe in on polaris 500ho quad

adjust wheel alingment 2013 polaris ranger 800

alignment off on 2011 polaris sportsman 850

atv alignment

how do you alline the front wheels of a polaris sportsman

how to adjust alignment on polaris rzr 800

how to align front tires on atv

polaris ranger alignment

polaris rzr800 2010 wheel alignment

polaris sportsman toe adjustment

polaris sportsman wheel alignment

rzr 800 alignment

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.