Polaris ATV Forum banner

different color springs for clutch?????

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Russ C 
#1 · (Edited)
My kids surprised me with a epi clutch kit for valentines, its the utility kit. It came with 4 springs and a helix but no instructions on what each color spring does. So before I install the wrong springs I was wondering if anyone knows what each spring will do. I have a 2004 700 sportsman carb. I have if apart but I didn't install any springs there is black one a dark blue one for the primary and a red one and white one. What's the best combo for 26's trail riding?

#2 ·
It's my understanding that the stiffer the spring in the primary clutch the higher the rpms have to be to engage it, meaning if you have a tough spring it would be good for hauling/mud because the engine is already closer to power band range when the clutch engages giving it more power. obviously the reverse for easier engagement. I'm not sure what exactly the colors mean or which color is stiffer than the other but im sure EPI would have something online to help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.