Why Is My ATV So Difficult To Start - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris ATV News News articles about Polaris ATVs, as well as site updates, rules, etc. concerning the site

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Marketing Team

Why Is My ATV So Difficult To Start

Quote:
ATV AnswerMan looks into a problem Honda Rancher 400

When my Honda Rancher 400 sits for a day or more, gas drains back to the tank making it a five-minute crank to start. What can I do to fix this?

Joe Howard

Hi Joe,

Well there is one thing that is for certain, the gas is not draining back into the tank. The tank on your TRX400FM sits well above the carburetor (right between your legs under the handlebars) and cannot return once it leaves via the petcock. There are several things that can be causing the slow start, though, so letís look at a few options to try and figure out your issue. Since you did not list the year I have to guess itís at least a 1995 to 2007 variant of the Rancher, as these were the years a 400cc engine was built for the Rancher models.

One of the reasons a carbureted engine is a little tough to start sometimes is the compression of the engine is too low to draw ample fuel into the cylinder to burn. If the rings, piston or cylinder are not working properly, not enough suction or compression is produced to pull the fuel in. Do a compression test to determine if the engine is within spec according to Hondaís service manual.

Another problem you might encounter are the valves not being set in the correct tolerances or being worn past service limits, causing what are essentially timing issues. Shimming or adjusting the valves needs to be performed by a service tech or experienced mechanic, as you can cause more damage by not getting this service done correctly the first time.

These are all real issues that a trusty old ATV will encounter sooner or later and if you do not service the engine properly in the timely intervals required by the manufacturer,then you will see it sooner rather than later. Look at these items carefully and I think you will find that you need to give this TRX400F a few hugs and kisses to get back into the trail.
Read more about Why Is My ATV So Difficult To Start at ATV.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Forums > Polaris ATV News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode