Polaris ATV Forum banner

14 yr old nephew kills Magnum

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MustBeNice 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, and new to owning ATV's. I have a 2003 Magnum, purchased it used. Anyway, 14 yr old nephew wanted to learn how to ride this weekend. I rode with him until I was confident he would safely operate it. Later, he asked if he could take it for a spin. About 15 minutes after he left, I got a call on the 2 way asking for help because something was wrong.

Apparently, at some point, he put it into reverse to back up and change direction, then ran full throttle in low gear until it died. I found some remnants of a shredded belt with the part number HP2003 on it.

I'm aware that I need to replace the belt obviously, but what other things may have been damaged?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Probably nothing else damaged.....Check the obvious stuff. belt Housing and so on, but make sure you get all the pieces of the old belt out of the primary clutch, clutch cooling duct work and so on.

#3 ·
I'd agree with Stave..... likely nothing else wrong. Other then the operation @ WOT in low range for an extended period.... was obviously a little hard on the belt! So a little additional teaching may be required?

What to do next:

- Clean/blow out clutches with compressed air, making sure all belt dust and fragments are out!
- Clean the Clutch Sheaves with a scotch-brite pad and blow out again.
- Finally replace the belt with a new Polaris OEM.... and back to WOT operation until she pops again! :D :fing02:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.