Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Outlaw

Polaris Outlaw Discussions for the Polaris Outlaw 50,90,450, 525

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 PM

Member #18226
Outlaw discontiued

i have recently bought a used 2008 outla 525 irs and i loved. i bought a used on because i have heard many things about them and i did not want to spend my money on a brand new piece of junk. i have found that the outlaw is not junk and is better than most other sport quads. my question is why did polaris discontiue such a great sport quad
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #14149
i think it was because it ran a ktm motor and they ended up making them almost exactly the same as the ktm they even look just about the same and ktm still sold way more of there bikes then polaris did. pretty much the same thing that happened with there jet skis and there ski boats they had other companies build the thing they just Thur there log on it
Old 09-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800touring View Post
i think it was because it ran a ktm motor and they ended up making them almost exactly the same as the ktm they even look just about the same and ktm still sold way more of there bikes then polaris did. pretty much the same thing that happened with there jet skis and there ski boats they had other companies build the thing they just Thur there log on it
Respectfully disagree.

The only thing the same between the outlaw and the KTM quad was the motor. The KTM quad was 100% ktm. The suspension alone was built just for that quad by ohlins and had a market value of $2500 on the suspension alone. The frame was all KTM, the exhaust, airbox, suspension, steering geometry, was all much different then the outlaw. It's why it was a better quad. Also, the KTM quads were hard to come by because ktm only brought over a few hundred quads for the entire north America. Polaris did sell way more outlaws, one, because there were thousands of outlaws compared to only hundreds of KTM quads, also, the KTM carried a price tag of over $10K, hard to stomach for the average weekend rider. But much cheaper if you were to mod any other sport quad to be comparable in performance.

Polaris just got the engine in a crate, and built the frame around that, used their own suspension, exhaust, airbox, etc. It's why the outlaw and the KTM quad with the same motor had vastly different performance numbers. It was all the other things KTM did that made theirs faster.

I believe ktm stopped importing their quad after two years. I am not surprised Polaris has discontinued the outlaw. Sport quads are not selling. You can find 2007 or 2008 outlaws new for sale at dealers still. For the longest time, Polaris has been trying to just give away the leftover outlaws, and haven't been able too. The market really started to dry up in 2008. And for most people, utility quads have enough performance for speed and handling, plus the benefits of towing and hauling.

Also, not correct on Polaris's watercraft. They did build them, not somebody else and then they stuck their name on them. They just stopped production in 2004 because their profit margins where not high enough to continue them. They look at each section of their products individually for profit, and of one isn't selling, they axe it. Watercraft was the first cut, sport quads have become the second causality.

Last edited by blueline15; 09-01-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #14149
i thought they where almost the same used to have a 525 outlaw and cuz had 525 ktm and i liked mine better looked a lot nicer my choice and I would love to be able to buy a polaris ski boat that would be awesome my dad said he would buy one if he came a cross one if i kept good grades haha
Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
The only thing really the same is the motor and gearbox. Ktm still hand built their quads in their only facility in Austria, put them in crates, and shipped them to the US. Polaris only got the motor from ktm, and engineered their own quad around that.

This started because Polaris was going to buy majority if ktm. Although ktm has a small market share in the states, they are everywhere in their native Europe. Polaris saw ktm as a great way to use them to gain market shares in Europe, especially with their victory motorcycles. Ktm decided not to sell out to Polaris, and continued their engine partnership for a year longer.

As far as the machines go, each company built their own respectful machines. This includes different frames, suspension, airbox, exhaust, and electronics. The outlaw is a very good machine, and is more built for the general population, like you and me.

Ktm did something no one else was doing. They were basically selling the same machines they race. Literally, race ready quads. Any trick part you could do for racing, ktm already did it from the factory. The only manufacture who's quad you could take bone stock out of the box and straight to the race track and have a machine worthy to compete there.

And the Polaris watercraft aren't bad. Too bad they stopped building them, they did a fairly good job in them, given how reliable watercraft are in general.

If nothing else, keep you grades up kid for your future. It will pay off ten folds to do well in school.

I just graduated college, I earned a bachelors, graduated cum lade, 3.6GPA cumulative over 4 years, I graduated high school with a 3.8 cumulative GPA, multiple semesters at a 4.0, never lower then a 3.5, and was in national junior honor society, and at the age of 24 am having a hard time securing a quality job/career.

Grades are so sooo important. Work hard. Its important for you!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Member #7465
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800touring View Post
Respectfully disagree.

The only thing the same between the outlaw and the KTM quad was the motor. The KTM quad was 100% ktm. The suspension alone was built just for that quad by ohlins and had a market value of $2500 on the suspension alone. The frame was all KTM, the exhaust, airbox, suspension, steering geometry, was all much different then the outlaw. It's why it was a better quad. Also, the KTM quads were hard to come by because ktm only brought over a few hundred quads for the entire north America. Polaris did sell way more outlaws, one, because there were thousands of outlaws compared to only hundreds of KTM quads, also, the KTM carried a price tag of over $10K, hard to stomach for the average weekend rider. But much cheaper if you were to mod any other sport quad to be comparable in performance.

Polaris just got the engine in a crate, and built the frame around that, used their own suspension, exhaust, airbox, etc. It's why the outlaw and the KTM quad with the same motor had vastly different performance numbers. It was all the other things KTM did that made theirs faster.

I believe ktm stopped importing their quad after two years. I am not surprised Polaris has discontinued the outlaw. Sport quads are not selling. You can find 2007 or 2008 outlaws new for sale at dealers still. For the longest time, Polaris has been trying to just give away the leftover outlaws, and haven't been able too. The market really started to dry up in 2008. And for most people, utility quads have enough performance for speed and handling, plus the benefits of towing and hauling.

Also, not correct on Polaris's watercraft. They did build them, not somebody else and then they stuck their name on them. They just stopped production in 2004 because their profit margins where not high enough to continue them. They look at each section of their products individually for profit, and of one isn't selling, they axe it. Watercraft was the first cut, sport quads have become the second causality.
I agree on this 100% my father is a polaris dealer and still has a brand new zero hour Outlaw from 2006.. the group of people that this type of machine is attracting just dosent have the extra spending money for a machine like that.. it has moved to the RZRs and utilitys sport quads are just dying and its really sad.. makes me pretty angry lol
Old 09-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #5005
The KTM 525xc/sx and 450sx/xc is nothing short of a BEAST. The ohlins suspension is amazing....it comes with DWT wheels and so much more..I came close to buying a new 08 450xc but decided against it. in stock form those bikes are amazing..but expensive both to maintain and to repair..I have heard so many horror stories about the KTM motor..but in all truth i paid little attention to them because KTM makes one of the best dirt bike lines on the market today and if you ride 2 wheels and race XC you know KTM is the only thing you should be riding..this is why I doubt the motor is bad...but they only offer a 30 day warranty so I couldnt stomach it. If you can afford it and plan to race full time the KTM is 10x better than the polaris..its a work of art and in my opinion the best looking sport quad. Daryl rath who manages polaris race teams and builds outlaws for racing has told me that the outlaw 450mxr and 525s is great but polaris intake sucks...it cannot breathe..they are great quads and polaris is still supporting outlaw GNCC racers..
Pure polaris lock & ride tall windshield
Pure polaris lock & ride gun scabbard
Pure polaris steel rear rack extender
ITP terra cross tires
Maxxis RAZR 4 speeds
UNI air filter
oury grips
RATH racing pre runner style chromoly bumper (front)
Ricochet Skid Plate (chassis)
Hot seat performance hypershift clutch kit
SSI decal kit
Powermadd handguard factory rider.

For any of your performance needs I would go with only Hotseat performance. I dont work for them just love there GREAT service and their amazing products[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson850 View Post
I have heard so many horror stories about the KTM motor..
The horror stories are mostly always the lack of maintenance. The motor is so built proof reliable, when maintained properly. We are talking oil changes every 5-10 hours, quality oil like Motorex, quality filters, etc. Most people just do not understand that.

Most people ride them but never service them. That does create a lot of problems.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #14577
i would love to get a new motor for my 500 07 outlaw but cant find any . transmission locked and theres metal in the oil .. ouch
Old 05-19-2014, 02:02 PM

Member #44123
Rear End Failure lead to the Dismise of the IRS Outlaw

I believe the reason the IRS Outlaws were discontinued was because of the inevitable failure of the rear end. I have bought 2 IRS Outlaws and I have 2 friends that have bought them. For all of us, the rear end bearings failed after just one year. When I tried to sell mine, I was asked time and time again if all the horror stories about rear end failure were true. (They were)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Outlaw

Search tags for this page
did polaris stop making the outlaw
does ktm still make atvs
does polaris still make outlaw
does polaris still make the outlaw
last year of polaris outlaw
polaris 525 outlaw for sale
polaris outlaw 525 for sale
polaris outlaw build
polaris outlaw for sale
used polaris outlaw 525 for sale

what happened to the polaris outlaw

why did polaris stop making the outlaw

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.