Polaris ATV Forum banner

predator no start

29K views 81 replies 6 participants last post by  pink63impala 
#1 ·
have a 05 predator 500 working on. fella brought it to me cause it wasnt running. it had a tight exhaust valve. had valves adjusted, drained fuel and put fresh 93 in it. took carb off and cleaned it. changed battery. plug looked new. cant get it to fire up. tried pushing and pulling it with my other 4 wheeler, but it wont bust off. gonna try one more new plug but after that i dont know. has 150 psi on compression now. plug is firing,cant tell if its weak though.. any help apreciated.

#53 ·
pull your cam chain tensioner right out so you have room to move everything
i would actually pull the cam cap and remove the exhaust cam also to get more room
then rotate it back around to line up that mark and your intake came
slide exhaust cam back in and line it up.

#55 · (Edited)
when you do re assamble. be real careful to make sure and line up that oil pump gear below your timing chain. this guy i know (an idiot) has busted off 2 of those not paying attention.

also make sure the shifting mechanism below the clutch basket is working properly, AFTER, the clutch i all back in. that can also be a headache.

#56 ·
one of the guys helping you busted 2 of them and the other guy almost busted one of his...lol the guy that busted 2 i wont mention any names but his name sounds like geo but with an L instead of a G......lol

#58 ·
ok you need to put a small flat tipped screw driver in through the hole where you took the center bolt out. put it in the slot and turn it counter clockwise until the plunger is pulled in. then while still holding the screwdriver in place reinstall it with the other hand. it is a bit of a trick.

#60 ·
no it just needs to mesh with the other gear properly. one tooth off and when you go to tighten the clutch basket in the oil pump gear will bust.

#62 ·
the exhaust dots are a tad higher. like this

#65 ·
turn it one way or the other. maybe it is clockwise. sorry if i gave you the wrong direction.

#67 ·
awesome job! maybe jetting, maybe throttle cable adjustment. could also be an air leak. any other symptoms?

#69 ·
if your mechanic got it to fire at all with the timing that far off it may be far more screwed up that can be fixed easily.

#70 ·
dude don't leave us hanging we got to know. how is it running now?

#72 ·
well done people

nice to see you guys helping out like that,such a pity he never posted back.....not even a thank you,i got the same problem with my pred,pain in the ass ,gonna pull the clutch when i get the chance.been tryin to time it using the tdc mark cause im too lazy to strip it down.but cant get it quite right.
anyways i say thank you for the walk through,i know it will help me out.
all the best, muda

#73 ·
maybe his engine seized and he ran off a cliff then i would understand if he did not say thanks. ;) hopefully you get yours figured out. if not please ask question here and also on our new site Polaris Pro Riders and we will help you out if we can.

#74 ·
yes muda if you need any help either get ahold of leo or myself here or over on our site. we are always glad to help if we can.

#75 ·
ok put the put the t mark on the line next to the t mark with housing mark,the intake side cam will be one link back compaired to the exhaust side cam mark,use the colored links,one colored link on the bottom sproket mark the next colored link on the intake side cam mark, the exhaust side cam mark,cam mark should be strait up.you should remove the camchail tenshioner first of all.

#76 ·
^^^ those marks do you no good if you dont know that your on the crankshaft mark. thats what muda is saying he needs to take it down to see that everything is lined up correct.

#77 ·
different instructions in manuals?

hey guys,
bit confused here about the tdc mark(i know what it is and where it is)its just some people say line the "t"up with the sight line,not the line next to the"t".
my manual which is printed in 2008 for preds 2003-2007 says "line the vertical mark next to the "t" with the sight line"
now this is weird as i seen someone elses manual that shows a pic of the "t "mark lining up???
the pred im working on is a 2004 ,i also have a 2007 which i opened up to see which way this was timed and this is done with the line next to the "t"
so after putting the 2004 pred back together(the way the 2007 one is) it started(very slow to turn over with the starter)but sounded a bit rattly or tappy, defently not right.
does anyone know if the older preds are timed using the "t" mark??
or maybe i just need to re do the valve shims as this head is a replacement for the old one?bit strange that it seemed very hard to turn over?
hope i havent fecked the valves up but i dont think i have.and dont want to take the head off as i took me weeks to get a new head gasket sent here.
anyone got any ideas as to the timing?

#78 ·
IIRC when i built my motor i set it to the I next to the T mark. Now that being said how far did you tare the motor down? Did you take it outta the frame to do so? Sorry it took so long to reply ive been promoted at work and have been working 12's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.