Polaris ATV Forum banner

Full predator rebuild

16K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  joshr08 
#1 ·
Hi guys I have an 04 predator and it started burning oil and ended up getting run too low on oil. I found this out because I sent it to a private machanic and he checked with a scope camera in the bottom end and says the crank is ruined and not work rebuilding and that I should just find a new motor. Well I cannot find one anywhere. Has this ever happened to anyone and they just rebuilt the bottom end and things have been fine?

#6 · (Edited)
your young and have a Pred 500... Dam i wish i had one when i was a kid!!!

And if you keep looking you should find one in Canada. i seen them b4. (mine may be up there in the spring)

also there will be broker and Customs fees on the motor *if you buy from USA *(say you pay $1500.00 for a motor, you will pay ups $180.00 MORE in Taxes

Then after all that. hard to say how long it will last. i say bring it to your local polaris dealer and see how much they will charge you to redo your old motor.

#8 ·
get a service manual and build it yourself. its not that hard if you take your time.

#9 ·
One of my buddies knows his way around motor pretty good so hes going to give me a hand! how long does it take to switch a crank for someone who knows what their doing? lol

ps motors already out of bike!

#10 ·
check your valve clearances before you pull it apart. and write them down that way you can adjust them before you put cams back in. make sure you know how to set the timing on this motor or it will be junk before its running. 1 tooth will = bent valves. i would guess if you have all the parts there and ready to go you should be able to do it in about 8-10 hours tare down and back up and ready to go in the bike.

#11 ·
Well I found an 04 motor only an hour away from where I live! The guy says the flywheel key broke and he bought an 05 motor and then repaired the 04. He says he priced out a crank at $710 american and crankcase at $710 american. He wants me to make him an offer what do you guys think would be a resonable price to start at?? I was thinking around $1000...Thanks!

#12 ·
if you cant hear it run 300 bucks if the flywheel key broke it may have bent valves

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.