Polaris ATV Forum banner

Predator 500 Wont Start Now!!

11K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  mickeydoozer 
#1 ·
ok so i am new here and i just bought a 03 predator 500 of a buddy for 200 bucks. shes a real fixer upper, ran when i seen it and i even got to drive around a bit but wouldnt idle. so today i got on it to drive into my garage to change the oil and take out the old gas and seafoam it and it wouldnt start at all. i cranked it with the choke on and off a few times, and nothing still. anyways i ended up pushing it into my garage, changing the oil and filter, draining the old gas, adding a gallon and half or so of fresh 87, and maybe an ounce of sea foam. but still it will not start. it will start for maybe 3 seconds and then it dies. sometimes it sounds like something is hitting metal on metal under the seat and thats only when it tries to start and dies while I'm still on the gas slightly. i can have her on a trickle charger within the next day or so. waiting for it in mail.

my questions are:

1. What can i do to help start her up and keep her going?

2. What could that metal to metal sound be? I'm thinking its the starter.

3. How the eff do you change the plugs? step by step please. tryed today and couldn't get the front faring off.

4. Can someone show me a picture of what my carburetor should look like with the air intake pipe off? i think mine looks a bit funny with a sheild thing that seems to block the intake. never had to deal with a carburetor before.

5. My front brake handle is so soft. Can squeeze to the bars with no action at the front brakes. How do i add brake fluid and what kind can i use?

thanks in advance. sorry for so many questions but im eager to get out and ride.:)

See less See more
#2 ·
first off i would get this carb taken off and cleaned very well

if the carb is dirty it will run great pending if this is a dirty carb situation

the metal sound can possibly be the decomp lever on the cam, it could be the valves need adJUSTED so on and so on it can be many things

too change the plug u need too remove the hood it is pushed on and has tabs holding it on be careful they break easily, then after removing the tank bolts and the side bolts there are two holding the front on under the hood, then u can remove the tank and get too the plug

fluid just add some too the master cylinder on the brake lever and see if that helps other wise u need too check your pads and get the brakes bled

carb photo if u need pm me and ill get it too ya

#4 ·
ok thank for the quick response. the pred is completly stock. not even a slip on or aftermarket intake. to clean the carb do i just soak everything apart in carb cleaner? or can i take it apart and clean each individual piece by hand with carb cleaner and skip soaking?

for the front fairing is there 1 or two bolts right infront of the forks? i seen 2 going up and down and one in center going front to back of machine. but couldnt tell what ones hold the fairing on.

again thanks a ton.

#5 ·
if the carb hasnt been cleaned in a long time i would say soak it but if it has been recently then carb clean it real good an blow out with air

and the front fenders should have six bolts two near the front end visible by the shocks two under the hood and two up near the steering stem

#6 ·
alright. i can do that.
now when i was starting it, it would only almost start if i had the throttle slightly pressed. but ive been on youtube and i see everyone just putting choke on and pressing the ignition and boom the pred is purring. could this be consequence of a dirty carb?

#7 ·
yes it could it could also be if the thumb throttle cable is not tentioned right it could also be the vavles need too be adjusted there are alot of things it could be finding the right one is the iffy pita but we can help start with the carb cleaning first though and maybe toss the spark plug in

#12 ·
yea but your machine looks awesome. id love mine to look the same but with blue and black. anyways i got the carb cleaned pretty good and i got her to fire. seafoamed it a bit and changed my spark plug. spark plug came out looking totally fouled and burnt. but now it still wont idle. i took the cap off the thumb throttle and i noticed that the quad will not idle at all if the two little metal connecters are touching. is this normal? i put a little piece of paper in there and poof it idles. a little high but none the less it idles. and boy these things fly. rough ride tho i need ball joints and ball bearings and bushings.

my questions are:

1. if the two connections touch and the quad dies is that normal?
a. if it is normal how do i get the conections off each other?
b. if not normal what should i do?
2. how do i adjust the idle?
3. if my antifreeze was pissin out the cap what should i do?

#14 · (Edited)
Antifreeze.problem.means u need too burp ur system lift the quad off the ground front end higher then rear pull the cap on the radiator an turn the wheels by hand an fILL the rafiator till full, u have an air bubble iN the system somewhere

#16 ·
Thanks for the info. Your a life and money saver. I'll be burping the Coolent and doing the throttle cable tomorrow morning. Where exactly is the throttle cable adjustment? And is neutral kinda tricky to find? Mine sometimes goes into neutral easy but sometimes I gotta try to find it. If u know what I mean.

#18 ·
ok awesome i got the preddy running and idling. my front suspenison seems loose. like i can wiggle my front left wheel by hand. i can hear that the wheel bearings are pretty shot. but I'm not sure if it needs bushings too. or if i just need to go over every nut and bolt... not to sure. oh and you were right about needing more practice lol. this is my first atv with a clutch.

#19 ·
lol ya get those wheel bearings changed also note that if they have never been changed and you cant get them off yourself, that u take the knuckle off the quad and take it too a shop i broke my axle shafts when i changed mine, then try too shake it if it still shakes then keep looking for problems and best bet too go over the whole quad and tighten bolts that need it ps have fun an be safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.