Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Predator

Polaris Predator All discussions for the Polaris Predator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 02:48 PM

Member #35268
03 predator 500 wont start

whats up guys new to the forum here...... just recently acquired an 03 predator 500 not running from my buddy.... he said it was running and had a little top end tick from the valves but said it still ran good and he let it sit for a month or so and now it wont start...... I checked the valve clearances and the intake was too tight I could not even get a .002 feeler gauge under it so I got some shims and reshimmed the intake valves (the exhaust was still in spec) got it back together and it still wont start..... if I take the breather tube off the back of the carb and put my hand over the opening while turning the motor over I can feel it sucking and pushing on my hand as the motor turns this is telling me that the intake valves are staying open(correct me if im wrong).... all of the valve clearances were in spec when I put it all back together I don't understand what is going on now.... I am an auto mechanic so I know what I am doing I plan on bringing my compression tester home from work tomorrow to check compression but would like some more insight if anybody knows anything I am overlooking..... any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Member #35025
03 predator 500 wont start

I have a 03 as well and just spinning engine over with starter I can't feel any pressure pulsing back out. Only suction. I think you are one the rite track in thinking intake valves are open when they shouldn't be. Which could be timing or a damaged/sticking valve. I'm going to have to shim my valves before long how bad a job is it?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Member #35268
it wasn't that bad to do but I am an auto mechanic and work with motors everyday so I had a pretty good idea of what I was doing I got lucky and got the specs and timing set right the first time I think that's where a lot of time gets consumed in getting the clearances and timing set right.... im not sure whats going on with this thing hopefully I don't need to rebuild the head or anything but I guess compression check tomorrow will reveal more info but hoping it is something simple.... also when I hold my hand over the carb after a few seconds of cranking my hand is soaked with gas even with the tank off
Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Predator

Search tags for this page
03 polaris predator 500 problems with start

03 polaris predator 500 specs

03 polaris predator 500 valve job or shim?

03 polaris predator will only push start

04 predator not starting pushing gas out back of carb
can i run an 03 polaris predator 500 with the intake and exhaust valves 5 thousands below specs
how to shim a polaris predator 500
melted air breather polaris predator wont start
polaris predator 500 wont start just spins over
predator 500 clicking wont start
predator+500+valve specs
rebuild top end on predetor 500
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.