Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Predator

Polaris Predator All discussions for the Polaris Predator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Member #8979
predator timing??

can anyone help me with timing in my 2003 predator? i got it top dead center but i need to set the cams and there are 2 dots on each cam and dont know what one goes where lol so if anyone can help i would really apreciate it thank you
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:20 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #7784
the dots on the cams should be at 9 o clock and 12 o clock with the brass link being on the top of both at 12 o clock hope it helps

i had the same problem but i couldnt get my clutch off to get to the gear on the bottom to set the timing
Old 12-01-2010, 04:15 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9697
Send a message via ICQ to 2much$inpred
let me know if that works because i dont think the brass links help at all. from what i understand those links only work like that with every 22 rotations
Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9697
ok i did some research today and as long as the timing chain is still on the right tooth on the bottom gear u are good to go with the cams set at 9 and 12
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #8052
got a manual for your machine if you still have any questions.

Service manuals
Old 12-06-2010, 04:44 PM

Member #9888
i have a 2005 500 that i will be seting the timing on and the guy i baught it from works on quadas and stuff and said to set both dots facing eachother toward the middle...im guessing hes wrong...lol
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9697
ok heres the low down on timing. it is the same if u have stock or hott cams.first, on the flywheel side of ur motor there are two platic screws. take them off. one will be showing a nut and one will be showing the outside ring of the flywheel. slap on a socket and wrench to the one with the bolt and turn it till u see etched-in lines on the flywheel. there will also be a "t" etched in there that u will see. u want the line next to the "t" to be lined up with the mark on the casing that is seen when u take off the plastic nut in the begining. the line is just to the left of the "t". this shows u that your motor is at top dead center which is needed to get the timing right. second decompression bolt. take that off to give ur chain play. third, now up top when u take the cams off be sure not to drop the chain down at all because then it will fall off the sprocket down below. the cams both have two dots on them. the dots should be at 9 and 12 oclock with the lobes facing outwards. now when the chain goes back on the gold or brass color links go on the top dot marks on top of each cam. now u should be set. some people say to move the exhaust one position to the right but i have only heard this and not tried it. ok if u happen to let the chain slip on the bottom u will have to take off the clutch cover to fix this and it has to be done otherwise everything else is off. once u take the clutch cover off there will be the clutch and two sprokets to the right. the one u need is the one on top which u will see the chain going to it. bad news is u have to take off the clutch to get to it. once it is off, take off the gear in front of it and once again u will see the brass link and a dot on the gear. line em up, put it back together and there ya go ur all set. dont drop that chain and its a snap. if ya do its still not that bad just takes time. any questions let me know.. good luck
Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9697
ok and the cams.... the one will have an extra piece on it for decompression... that one is the exhaust and goes towards the front of the motor..
Old 12-30-2010, 04:46 PM

Member #10197
ok got a timing issue or something else....just redone top end on an 03 predator 500.
when i time the engine exactly as engine says then try to rotate the engine it stops when exhaust opens.
brass links and dots are exactly were needed and the flywheel is in the tdc mark
checked and valves are not bent at all..so now i am at a stand still...well after taking the head off and checking valves i noticed that the exhaust valves seem to be opening to far..but i dont see how as the adjustment has never been messed with

Last edited by mcraig79; 12-30-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Predator

Tags
500, outlaw, predator

Search tags for this page
how to set the time back on a polaris predator 500

how to set timing on polaris predator 500

how to set timing on predator 500
how to time a polaris predator 500
polaris predator 500 timing
polaris predator 500 timing marks
polaris predator cam timing

polaris predator timing

polaris predator timing marks
predator 500 flywheel timing

predator 500 timing

timing polaris predator 500
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.