Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler XP

Polaris Scrambler XP Discussions for the all new 2013 Polaris Scrambler XP 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Member #34188
Overheating issue on 2013 Scrambler 850 XP

I was out for a ride on the weekend and hit the first medium sized hill and the machine started cutting out. Looked down at the gauges and the temp light was flashing. Machine was cutting out and going in to safety or limp along mode. Once I let it cool down for a while it was fine and was okay in general until I hit tight trails at slower speeds where it wasn't being air cooled. The temperature outside was pretty hot around 27C or 80F. It was hotter than i would normally ride in, however the machine should be able to handle this as I wasn't even really pushing it. Heck the thing would get alot hotter when being worked hard or when playing in the mud where there is not much chance for air flow to keep things cool.

I checked out the overflow bottle and there was lots of coolant. Checked for kinks in the hose connected to the rad and it was okay. Rad wasn't caked with mud or anything. Checked and the fan is running. Only wierd thing I found was that the fan takes a few minutes to kick in when I restarted the machine immediately after the problem occured and it hadn't had a chance to cool down.

So this leads me to some questions that I thought someone on here might be able to help out with.

1.) what is too hot, if such a thing?
2.) does anyones fan continue running when the engine is off, yet the key is still in the on or aux position?
3.) when I restarted the engine shouldn't the fan kick in immediately if the engine is still extremely hot?
4.) is there a thermostat that i can easily take off and check to ensure it is spring is opening correctly, or would this be electronic and not mechanical?
5.) planing to take it to the dealer as it should be covered under warranty, does it have to be the place of purchase, or any polaris dealer?

Any help would be appreciated. Less than 200km and it is a bit early to be having issue.
2005 Polaris TrailBoss 330
1987 Kawasaki KDX 200 - Sold
1976 Suzuki TS 185 - Retired
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #29679
I have had this happen a couple of times with my 850 touring with less than 300km and I am also trying to narrow it down.

I too wonder if it was actually hot as stopping and throwing the gear shifter into N or P shut the temp light off.

My fan also will not continue to run with the key on but engine not running (my '09 800 would continue).

Shutting the key off and restarting immediately cleared mine which I also found strange if the engine was actually too hot.

Now the one day it happened I can understand it if it was for real because we were on sloppy trails all day and then some fast roads on way home. But with all the water that day I still thought it might be electrical because my eps light came on a couple of times.

This past weekend it happened after going through a couple of medium deep mudholes and rescuing a couple of smaller bikes. The light came on about 20 minutes later on tight slow trail. I checked the rad and the bottom 3rd had a little mud but the top 2 3rds were as clean as new. The following day I was rack deep several times and extremely muddy from pushing and winching out my buddies and had no lights come on or heat issues of any kind...In fact at times it was steaming off the moisture as they should.

Besides the folks in this forum I will certainly be giving to my dealer a couple of times while under warranty with my inquiries. I am also considering a coolant additive like purple ice or water wetter.

2013 850XP LE Touring w/EPS Sunset Red
- front and rear bumpers
- synthetic winch rope
- lock and ride rear cargo box
- semi rigid wrap around touring bag
- lock and ride gun mount/case
- rear rack extender
- 27' big wheel kit SIXR rims w/ Mudlite XTR's

2009 800 EFI Touring (Sold)
- front and rear bumpers
- synthetic winch rope
- hand and thumb warmers
- 27' big wheel kit SS rims w/ Mudlite XL's

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES (Sold)
- 26' Bear Claws
- front and rear cargo box
Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #35448
I was looking in the sportsman XP section and overheating fortunately does not seem to be too common. One post for a 2011 sounded similar to yours. It ended up being an issue where the fan would some on but was running slowly. They replaced the fan circuit breaker since they noticed pushing on it made the fan rotate faster.

2011 Sportsman 850 XP OVERHEATING

I know when the fan comes on mine you know it. Very loud and moving a ton of air. I dont play much in the mud but it was getting pretty hot bogging down in the sand but did fine. Key off when fan running due to it being hot then back on again fan will not run for a while.

Hope dealer can help, that is always a mixed bag.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #29830
I know you said your overflow bottle had coolant in it but you never mentioned if you checked if the rad had any coolant in it?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #14149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad77 View Post
I was out for a ride on the weekend and hit the first medium sized hill and the machine started cutting out. Looked down at the gauges and the temp light was flashing. Machine was cutting out and going in to safety or limp along mode. Once I let it cool down for a while it was fine and was okay in general until I hit tight trails at slower speeds where it wasn't being air cooled. The temperature outside was pretty hot around 27C or 80F. It was hotter than i would normally ride in, however the machine should be able to handle this as I wasn't even really pushing it. Heck the thing would get alot hotter when being worked hard or when playing in the mud where there is not much chance for air flow to keep things cool.

I checked out the overflow bottle and there was lots of coolant. Checked for kinks in the hose connected to the rad and it was okay. Rad wasn't caked with mud or anything. Checked and the fan is running. Only wierd thing I found was that the fan takes a few minutes to kick in when I restarted the machine immediately after the problem occured and it hadn't had a chance to cool down.

So this leads me to some questions that I thought someone on here might be able to help out with.

1.) what is too hot, if such a thing?
2.) does anyones fan continue running when the engine is off, yet the key is still in the on or aux position?
3.) when I restarted the engine shouldn't the fan kick in immediately if the engine is still extremely hot?
4.) is there a thermostat that i can easily take off and check to ensure it is spring is opening correctly, or would this be electronic and not mechanical?
5.) planing to take it to the dealer as it should be covered under warranty, does it have to be the place of purchase, or any polaris dealer?

Any help would be appreciated. Less than 200km and it is a bit early to be having issue.
engine Ice my dads 850 had lots of over heating problems, mine did not, mibe always has ran engine ice séance day 1
Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #30132
Be sure to examine your radiator fins CLOSELY! I had the same issue and was stumped because at a glance the radiator didn't seem clogged. Upon closer inspection the fins on one side had sand built up from riding though a few creeks here and there and the occasional small mud hole. I don't have silverbacks or outlaws and no kind of lift so I don't hit holes that you could sink in so don't assume I've sunk it a time or two. But over time a little bit of sand and dirt will accumulate over time and is very hard to wash out. I've found it best to pull the front clip and run a high volume of low pressure water (garden hose with spray nozzle) and not to use a pressure washer as it will bend the fins of the radiator, further reducing airflow across it. You may not have the same situation but its worth the few extra minutes it takes to pull the front clip and inspect it for any build up than to run a pressure washer wand it there and think its doing the job. Just my .02¢

2012 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 H.O. EPS Limited Edition Orange Madness

Polaris Extreme Front and Rear Brush Guards

Polaris Composite Rear Rack Extender

K&N Air Filter w/ K&N Prefilter

Looney Tuned Slip-on Exhaust Black Finish

EFX Moto MTC 28x10-14

Highlifter Axle Bar Kit
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #34239
Mine never overheated during my last ride but it definately ran hotter the more mud that built up in the cooling fins. We used a small sump pump and hose at the rivers and would wash out the radiator and mud just poured out of the fins. We would also carefully pressure wash the radiator after each days ride at the car wash and never had an issue. My friend with a Brute Force had just replaced his radiator with an aftermarket one that is a monster but still had cooling issues but still hadn't came up with a good guarding system for the radiator so we just had to clean his radiator more often. If you are riding mud it's just part of the game to keep those damn fins clean. However, I believe you have a mechanical or electrical issue to deal with as mine would run hotter but never overheated and we rode some serious mud.

2010 Sportsman 850 XP (Dark Green)
Koplin Overfenders
Polaris Front and Rear Bumpers
Polaris Winch
Bighorn 26" on 14's
Polaris Front and Rear Lock and Ride Cargo
Custom Bags on Cargo
Ricochet Ultimate Skid Plates
(Orange Anodized A-Arms)
Polaris Hand Guards
2- 1 Gallon Rotopax's in front storage

New addition: 2005 Honda VTX 1300R
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #15275
Make sure there is no air in the system. Purge system of all air and see where that takes you
Polaris hand guards
Polaris front brush guard
Moose rear brush guard
K&N filter with pre filter
Polaris front HD springs
viper max winch, rope(remote)
temp gauge with fan on override
reverse override
front and rear A arm guards
full skid plate
hot seat exhaust
EPI red clutch spring
Polaris lock and ride rear cargo box with backrest
Polaris lock and ride front mini tinted windshield
rad relocate
Bear Claw 26x9-12 front 1/4 spacer
bear Claw 26x12-12 rear 1/4 spacer
Engine Ice
SS212 Machined rims
HD EPI rear springs

#MudLife

Illinois Mud Riders

YouTube
Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #29679
Good tips from everyone...much appreciated.

A couple of questions?...when purging your system to get rid of air what would be the best way to go about that to be sure you don't unintentionally create an airlock?

And, I was looking for clips or something up front to gain better access to the rad or remove the screen and didn't notice anything obvious...are you guys removing the fan/shroud or the screen in front?

Thanks

2013 850XP LE Touring w/EPS Sunset Red
- front and rear bumpers
- synthetic winch rope
- lock and ride rear cargo box
- rear rack extender
- 27' big wheel kit SIXR rims w/ Mudlite XTR's

2009 800 EFI Touring (Sold)
- front and rear bumpers
- synthetic winch rope
- hand and thumb warmers
- 27' big wheel kit SS rims w/ Mudlite XL's

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES (Sold)
- 26' Bear Claws
- front and rear cargo box
Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #15275
This is what i would do..
take rad cap off and start machine..
let run and slowly add coolant, letting air bubbles work themselves out the top of rad.

give it a little bit of gas here and there. When coolant is at very top and rising from the qaud being warm replace cap.

fill overflow to MIN line.

let qaud run at operating temp. shut down let cool

open rad cap and add if needed in both rad and res.
This might have to be done a few times
Polaris hand guards
Polaris front brush guard
Moose rear brush guard
K&N filter with pre filter
Polaris front HD springs
viper max winch, rope(remote)
temp gauge with fan on override
reverse override
front and rear A arm guards
full skid plate
hot seat exhaust
EPI red clutch spring
Polaris lock and ride rear cargo box with backrest
Polaris lock and ride front mini tinted windshield
rad relocate
Bear Claw 26x9-12 front 1/4 spacer
bear Claw 26x12-12 rear 1/4 spacer
Engine Ice
SS212 Machined rims
HD EPI rear springs

#MudLife

Illinois Mud Riders

YouTube

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler XP

Tags
850 h.o., 850 xp, overheating, scrambler 850

Search tags for this page
2013 polaris scrambler

2013 polaris scrambler 850

2013 polaris scrambler 850 overheating
2013 polaris scrambler 850 problems
2013 polaris scrambler problems
2013 scrambler overheating
850 scrambler
polaris 850 xp overheating

polaris scrambler 850

polaris scrambler 850 problems

scrambler 850

scrambler 850 problems
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.