Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Polaris Scrambler Discussions for the Polaris Scrambler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 02:09 PM

Member #16624
How much oil compared to gas on a 2-stroke?

How much oil burns normally compared to gas on a 2-stroke scrambler?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Member #17055
The oil should normally mix at around 32:1, no less than 40:1. For every gallon of gas you use, there should be about 4 ounces of oil used as well. Since the 400's fuel tank is 4 gallons, you should go through about half a quart of oil for every tank of gas you use. Since the Oil tank capacity is 2 quarts, one full tank of oil should last about 4 full tanks of gas. If you are using less than this, the first thing you should do is replace the in-line oil filter, then check that the injector pump is working properly. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 AM

Member #17240
2 stroke trailblazer

how do i check to see if the oil pump is working? should i mix a little oil in the gas until i make sure the pump is working. i just bought the quad, it is my first 2 stroke. thx.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #13816
Does it smoke some like a 2stoke when you start it up?
2006 Polaris Phoenix 200
2008 Honda Trx700xx
Old 08-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Member #17055
This is the procedure my service manual suggests:

Oil Pump Troubleshooting

To verify oil delivery to engine, proceed as follows:
1. Premix fuel in tank at a 40:1 fuel/oil ratio.

2. With the oil reservoir full, remove the oil delivery line from the intake manifold.

3. Test the oil delivery check valve with a low pressure pump and gauge.

4. Start engine and lift oil pump lever to full open position.

5. Oil should pulse from the delivery line every few seconds. If it does not, suspect one of the following:
A. Oil line or filter plugged
B. Oil tank vent line restricted
C. Oil lines leaking of blocked
D. Faulty oil pump or drive mechanism
As far as smoking when you start it up, I've owned two Polaris 2-strokes, a 250 and a 400, and with the right oil in them neither ever smoked like a typical 2-stroke. If the topend is good and tight it shouldn't make much more smoke than a 4 stroke so there is no such easy way to tell if it is getting a good oil supply, other than to measure it or test for it. Also keep in mind if you premix a tank and find out that your oil injector is working properly, you'll probably want to change your sparkplug soon after because you're going to be running very rich on oil if it is injecting and premixed at the same time. I would suggest a half gallon or less premix in an empty fuel tank just to use for testing purposes, then dilute with a full tank of premium straight gas if you find out the injector works as it should. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 PM

Member #17240
thx for help, new question, how to tighten chain?

no it did not smoke at all. or maybe just very little. thx for the great info. i mixed 1 gallon of gas at 50 to 1 until i can figure out if its working. i dont know about the low pressure pump. but i do think i have an understanding now. i checked the inline filter on the line that goes from the oil tank to the oil pump. it had new oil in it and i could blow through it easily. i am ordering a new one anyway. tommorow morning i will take the hose lose from the pump to the carb. today when i looked at the pump i was confused about how it worked, but now that i read your info i think i know how to check it. thx, i will let u know tomm. on how my progess is. my son said while riding in the driveway today it was makeing a popping type sound that he thought was coming from the chain. the chain seems a little lose but the teeth on the gear look good. How do i tighten the chain?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Member #17055
The low pressure pump (Google "Mity Vac" for an example of a low pressure pump) is just for testing the check valve, you apply a certain amount of pressure (I think 6PSI or less) to make sure that the oil check valve is opening and closing as it should. The check valve is mounted in the intake manifold, it is the port through which the oil is put into the cylinder after it comes out of the pump.

As far as adjusting the chain, just loosen the two bolts that hold the axle carrier in place at the end of the swingarm, then turn the axle using the large hex shaped part of the carrier. The carrier is cam shaped. so rotating it within the swingarm mount will tighten or slacken the chain. Be careful not to run your chain too tight, you can risk shearing a drive gear, or worse, cracking the case after it is hit by a broken chain. Once the chain is properly adjusted, tighten the bolts to hold the axle carrier to the swingarm, the torque spec for the nut on these two bolts is 30 ft/lbs. If you have an optional trailer hitch installed, the torque spec is 40 ft/lbs.

If you ever ride hard or have the quad off the ground on small jumps, you may want to consider an aftermarket chain tensioner to avoid running your chain too loose, but also avoid breaking the chain with it too tight. Scroll to the very bottom of the page linked below to see what I mean by "chain tensioner."

https://www.hpd-inc.com/400model.htm

Also, if the chain is making noise, check to make sure all of the links move freely, if they do not move easily and freely, remove the chain, thoroughly clean it, then soak it overnight in oil. If they still do not move freely, replace the chain or risk damaging your case.

As always, Good luck!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Member #17240
wow thanks for the good info. this gives me the chance to work on this quad some more. i will go now and try to tighten the chain, i love this quad for so little money, i have found another 250 for 900 dollars and a 400 for 800 dollars. i think i will buy one for everyone in the family, since i am learning how to work on them through the help of the forums. thx again.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Member #17055
I have been pretty impressed with the quality of my Polaris ATV's so far. Those sound like good prices if they are in decent shape. You may want to take a compression tester with you to look at them. My service manual states the compression threshold on Polaris 2 strokes is 115PSI, if it's lower than that then the engine is worn and will need a rebuild soon. You can get a reasonably accurate compression tester from Harbor Freight for 13 dollars, they are well worth it if you own or want to buy 2 strokes.

I also suggest spending the $40 to get a Polaris service manual for your ATV from the dealership, or check This Thread to see if there is a free manual for your ATV available online. The manuals have excellent information, helpful step by step instructions, and good pictures which make it much easier to understand. Even if there is not an online manual for your specific year/model, many years/models are similar or exactly the same so you should be able to find something helpful in that thread.

As always, good luck.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:41 AM

Member #17240
thx for advise.

i am taking the advice and buying a compression tester, today. i will let u know the compression results after i look at the quads. cant wait to check mine because i think it is good. i thought i would never own a 2 stroke. to bad i waited until 32 years old before i got my first one. at least my son can learn that 2 strokes are not all bad. next thing i would like to do is a rebuild on a 2 stroke with my son. that would be a good experience for both of us.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Search tags for this page
2 cycle oil 99 polaris
2001 polaris trailblazer fuel mix ratio
how much oil gas on dinli 90 cc atv
how to convert polaris 90 to mix gas
polaris 2 stroke gas mixture
polaris 2 stroke oil mixture

polaris 2 stroke oil ratio

polaris 500 engine oil mix? 2 stroke
polaris xplorer 400 gas mixture#gsc.tab
ratio for oil and gas mixture for 90cc atv
what is the oil ratio for a polaris two stroke
whats the gas to oil ratio for 50cc polaris prediter
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.