Polaris ATV Forum banner

4x4 no work????

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  grider 
#1 ·
MY 4wd stopped working this morning. its really cold this morning, but no excuse. The machine just wont turn the front wheels. Think the ECU is messed as the reverse rev limiter is also not working. I can rev it right out in reverse. I was spinning the wheels in reverse faster and faster while holding the reverse override button all of a sudden it engaged the front wheels for a second and threw me backward. think just the right front engaged, but not sure. Really aggravating...

I am new to this fourm, but am not new to riding or working on quads. anyone have this issue before? maybe a good time to buy an upgraded ECU?

#2 ·
what year make and model? also if i can get the vin from you i can check to see if there are any warrantey work that needs to be done that hasnt. a few models had a recal for the ECU, you might need it.

the rev limiter only works when you are not holding the override button down. override takes away the rev limiter.

#3 ·
vin info

that would be sweet! thanks so much.

2005 scrambler 500 HO,

4XABG50A252770620

The rev limiter did not work when the yellow button was released.

also 4x4 did not work in forward either. Very concerning.

Polaris service dude, told me to check for 12 volts at the two wires that go to the hubs.

i will check it out this weekend.

#4 ·
bet you this is probably the cause of your problem
you need a new ECU, and it hasnt been listed on the dealer site that is has been done.
call your dealer, tell them your machine and that u have yet to have recall ATV-08-01B done. more then likely they will have to order the ECU using your VIN#. should take about a week to get in, and only takes about 30 mins to swap it out, pretty easy to do. this should all be done for free, no out of pocket expense to you.

Bulletins Completed Bulletin Description Bulletin Type Bulletin Status
No Bulletins have been completed on this unit.

Other Bulletins Bulletin Description Bulletin Type Bulletin Status
ATV-08-01B ECM REPLACEMENT SAFETY Bulletin needs to be applied

#6 ·
they should. safety recalls are a completely seperate deal then your warranty. it doesnt matter if a recall comes out 10 years after you warranty expired, it should all be covered by polaris 100%.

from my personal experience, i did about 20-25 ECU recalls for the various models for 04-05's. all machines were well out of warranty and all were covered by polaris. i have even done a couple scrambler ECU's. there are easy, plug and play install, two torque screws is all. the org. ECU was made in china, the new ECU that polaris was sending last summer was made in the USA. doubt that has changed. let me know if this fixes your problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.