Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Polaris Scrambler Discussions for the Polaris Scrambler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #23605
Any installation tips on steering bearing or rear axle bearings?

Went out to a buddy's farm yesterday for a little shake down run and some trail maintenance. He and his brother are how I was introduced me to riding. That was back in 2000 or so. Somewhere around 08, he sold his Scrambler and went to a lifted golf cart for getting around the property. A couple weeks ago, he bought an 03 Scrambler off Craigslist. It's still at the dealer getting refreshed but yesterday me and my girl went out with our machines to get us down the trails we were working on.

I rolled mine off the trailer, fired it up and heard a grinding noise I hadn't heard when putting around my yard. I looked and the previously tightened chain, even with the HPD tensioner, was slack. Looked further and there was black grease oozing between the rear housing and chain. Damn!

I priced parts locally but in total I saved something like $40 ordering online. Not all of the parts were for steering or the rear axle. The fuel filter I just wanted to have on hand. The grommet keeps the strut from rubbing through the front fender. The single bearing is for the steering post. I may not have needed new lip seals but for the price, I felt better just ordering them along with everything else so I don't have to stop to get some with everything almost put back together.

Code:
2530009 Fuel filter     $ 2
3514352 Bearing         $16
7052028 Grommet         $ 3
5410889 O-Rings         $ 2
3610070 Lip Seals       $12
3554518 Bearings        $26
3554517 Races           $18
I have a copy of the FSM so I have torque specs and general info. I've referenced the Polaris parts fiche plenty of times for exploded views of how things go together. I've done wheel bearings a number of times on my 87 Chevy and the ATV rear axle stuff looks to be similar. I've had the rear swing arm off before to do bushings and replace the sprockets but I've never had the rear axle out. Any tips you might have for replacing either of these bushings, please share.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Member #20997
It's pretty straight forward. Only issue I can think of is the axler nuts dont like to come off. I've had to cut them off or more than once. If you have a torch you may be able to get it hot and it may break loose. I always pick up a extra axle nut when I replace axle bearings. Good Luck
Old 03-14-2012, 05:10 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #23605
My axle nuts look like brand new still. Haven't gotten to them yet though. The locking collar was giving me a fit so I stopped for the night. This morning I hosed it down with PB Blaster...and rinsed the mud out of the gap in the snap ring that I didn't notice yesterday. With the snap ring off, I'm probably good to go.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:41 PM

Member #22929
Another thing to remember is that the rear axle looks like both sides are the same legnth but they're not. If you put it in the wrong way, opposite of how you took it, out it will be sticking out more to the left I belive. Had that happen to me with my 01 scrambler, put it in wrong and it was off to the left enough to notice it right away after I put the tires back on.
custom rear bumper
2500lb warn winch
K&N air filter
Highlifter HD front springs
60" cycle country plow
Old 03-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #23605
That's a good one! I've still got some hardware on the right side of it so I'll make note of which end is which before I disassemble and clean everything.

Also @cpd the axle nuts came off like the thing was brand new. On each side of the hub, I drove 1 bolt out of the little keeper for access then used my giant channel locks to loosen then nut.

Last edited by Kevin108; 03-14-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:35 AM

Member #20997
I'm jealous!!! I have never had them come off like that unless I had already replaced them. I also should have told you I usually only taked the right side off and slide everything out the left. Looks like you got it covered though. Nice work
Old 03-16-2012, 03:42 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #23605
I've had the swingarm off once to do bushings but I've never had any of the axle stuff off.

My new stuff shipped out yesterday and I got the old stuff all cleaned up.

I think there's going to be a couple of o-rings I need but I can probably grab them at the hydraulics shop down the street.

Last edited by Kevin108; 03-16-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #20681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
I've had the swingarm off once to do bushings but I've never had any of the axle stuff off.

My new stuff shipped out yesterday and I got the old stuff all cleaned up.

I think there's going to be a couple of o-rings I need but I can probably grab them at the hydraulics shop down the street.
Please keep us up to date on this. I just ordered the parts to do the bearings in my 2006 Trailblazer.

How hard was it to get the old bearings out? And what did you use to get the old bearings out?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #23605
lol the bearings came out in the grease. It was a spectacular failure. I took a shop rag and began twisting it into the greasy housing. Not that this is a common tool, but what I ended up using was a steel post stuck in the ground. I forced it through the housing, pushing out the greasy rag with the rollers stuck all in the grease. I then used the lip of the post to tap the races out of the housing. It was weird but I didn't have a long enough punch so I made do.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #20681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
lol the bearings came out in the grease. It was a spectacular failure. I took a shop rag and began twisting it into the greasy housing. Not that this is a common tool, but what I ended up using was a steel post stuck in the ground. I forced it through the housing, pushing out the greasy rag with the rollers stuck all in the grease. I then used the lip of the post to tap the races out of the housing. It was weird but I didn't have a long enough punch so I made do.
That is funny, because I actually thought of doing the same thing. I was actually going to use a wood dowell rod or equivalent to get the old races out.

I am interested to see how the bearings install.

I am planning on putting in a HPD steering post bearing as well. (this would be in my 2000 325 model.

PS, if you happen to be installing the tie rod ends as well, i found them the cheapest on ebay. search "<part number> ALL FOUR"... these are the ones i got. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Good luck to you!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Search tags for this page
05 predator 500 axle orings different?

how to assemble a rear axle housing on a 2005 polaris scrambler

how to install all balls rear axle bearings on a polaris trail boss 325
polaris 250 trailblazer rear axle torque
polaris scrambler 500 rear axle bearings
polaris scrambler rear axle
polaris steering post bearing

polaris trailblazer 250 rear axle removal

rear bearings 2005 predator 500
remove axle trailboss 330#gsc.tab

trouble shooting rear axle bearings predator 500

video how to tear down to put rear houseing bearing in a2000 polaris trail blazer

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.