Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Polaris Scrambler Discussions for the Polaris Scrambler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #30232
Can a motor swap be done ?

I have a 500 4x4 and was wondering if anyone has stuck a bigger motor in? Any ideas? I am good at welding but would like to know where to start. I would like to keep it a single cylinder like a 650 or? Any thoughts would help.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #14032
You are gonna have more money in motor, tranny, diffs, etc than doing a bore and rejet.

Matt

2011 Sportsman 800
Polaris Front Brush Guard, Polaris Rear Brush Guard, Polaris Rear Rack Extender, Polaris L&R Rear Cargo Box, Warn 2500lb winch, Winch Saver, Ricochet A-Arm Guards (www.TheATVSuperStore.com), 3-High Headlight Mod, 6000k HID kit, Rigid Ind. 2xDually w/ strobe box, UNI Air Filter, 26" GBC Dirt Commanders, 1" Billet Wheel Spacers (Front and Rear) HighLifter HD springs, Dalton Primary Spring O\BL, Realtree Seat custom cover, Polaris Handguards

Wife's

2011 Sportsman 550XP
Polaris Front Brush Guard, Polaris Rear Brush Guards, Polaris Rear Rack Extender, 26" GBC Grim Reapers, Viper Elite 3000lbs Winch w/ wireless, Polaris Handguards, 6000k HID Kit

Fuel It, Flog It, Feel It!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6519
500 to a 650 aint worth it. Now if your talking 650 2 stroke ahhhh now thats the ticket. ahahahahaha

Your looking at about 2k to Big bore and stroke a 500 I hear. So if you could find something to stomp that for 2k your in there.

Everything I own and several machines prior all have motor swaps. But none are quads. When I do a swap I just dive in and focus on key points. In my case with the buggies thats the sprocket lining up and the pipe or head clearing. So thats all that I'm focused on. Then the next key points. Like upper engine mount and carb clearance. Then I cut the pipe and made the expansion chamber fit. Then I made the rad fit. Then the fuel cell. Untill it's all done. It's steel and you can weld. Anything is possible.

Our whole ride group more or less run swapped machines. About 15 or more of us. The most common mistakes are getting in your own way. What if, what if, what if. The answer there is, well, make it work. Period. The second big mistake is over thinking it. Go ahead and try to figure in your head everything your gonna do before hand. I bet my lunch no less than 75% will not work how you thought. All it takes is one bar in the wrong place, and every step you planned 15 times ahead of that just changed. Get out of your own way. You have a goal to fit the engine. Thats step one. Make it fit. Everything else can be changed.

I will say motor swaps are like built engines. Mot dont do it cause there saving cash or making cash. They do it to say I did it. Look at my work. Or I'm faster than you
HPD trail pipe
Bored out carb
V-force 2 reeds
HPD Torque spacer
Ritter trail light fly wheel
HPD black prim
HPD purple sec
Ritter block off
Girdle and case saver
5mm stroker
Old 11-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29059
Check this thread out, as it's another active thread related to the same topic......How big of an engine can you stuff in a sportsman 500?

Some good stuff in here, lost of member knowledge and incite!!!

2012 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED)
Mods: Polaris 2500HD Winch - Glacier 3 60" Plow System - Front & Rear Rack Extensions - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - Low Profile Windshield - Warning Debadge - 3 Way Head Light (Relay) - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Kolpin KXP Rhino Double Gun Rack - Madd Dog Chainsaw Holder - Kolpin Rear Seat/Storage Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" ITP Mud Lite Tires - Front & Rear High Lifter HD Springs

2005 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - Polaris Hand Guards - WES Ind. Rear Seat/Storage Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

Son's: 2012 TaoTao 125D (BLUE/BLACK)
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #30232
thanks I will check that out. i am looking for a direct bolt up to the stock 4x4 and trans if possible.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #30232
Well I just read that link and pretty much they say its a nogo that being said I guess the only choice would be a 93mm piston(big bore kit), 43mm flat slid car, Thick head gasket, and ohhh yes a turbo I will only boost it 4-5 PSI depending on what it can take. I dont know yet what I really want to do im getting mixed emotions! I love a sport 4x4 but I love to climb rocks so low range in a 4x4 is a huge plus. i think utility's are ugly as heck. To big, To heavy!
I just asked about a motor swap to see if anyone did a motor change and to see if there was any motor that bolted up directly. Hell I stuck a v8 into a 1984 Pontiac Fiero.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9469
ski doo 700 motor will fit with mods in a 400 scrambler. I seen videos on youtube. Get the 400 scrambler engine cheap. and you can get hell of a lot more horsepower than that 500 i mean way more. Like almost 85 hp.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:02 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6519
400 2 banger with just a trail pipe has more HP than a camed piped and ported 500ho .

Thats why my machine is a 400 and my wife drives the 500. ahahahahaha
HPD trail pipe
Bored out carb
V-force 2 reeds
HPD Torque spacer
Ritter trail light fly wheel
HPD black prim
HPD purple sec
Ritter block off
Girdle and case saver
5mm stroker

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Search tags for this page
atv engine swap
can i swap years on sportsman 500 to change motors
motorcycle engine on polaris scrambler
polaris 500 engine swap
polaris atv engine swap
polaris engine swap
polaris motor swap
polaris ranger 500 motor swap

polaris scrambler engine swap

polaris scrambler motor swap

polaris sportsman engine swap

polaris sportsman motor swap

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.