Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Polaris Scrambler Discussions for the Polaris Scrambler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19342
Compression should be around 140-160 on a new top end anything below 100 will start to cause it to not start as easy and will start to loose power. Also when you checked it did you hold the throttle wide open?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Member #19359
Thanks for the info on the compression. Had a friend tell me that part of my problem was that my machine was tired. Now I'll know just how tired it really is.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 AM

Member #19649
I am the guy in rtx's post about the Scrambler. It is a 99 Scrambler 400 and we took it up to Maine over the weekend. Ran fine all day until the end. Same issue as before, on flat ground it runs perfect. As soon as we hit a hill and slowed down it would get bogged down and I couldn't get any power to it. I had to roll back down the hill and get a running start to get up. One thing that was noticed was when it would lose power like that the quad would exhaust more smoke (than normal) with a bluish tint out of it. It was to a point where the guys riding behind me could see when my quad would start losing power because of the amount of colored smoke coming out of my exhaust. I didn't notice any problems going through water, only hills. On the last hill of the day we had to push it up to the top and as soon as I got up there it started running fine again. Really perplexed by this problem and hoping someone has an idea or solution to it.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19342
A buddie of mine had a scrammy 400 and his was doing pretty much the same thing, In order for him to make it back he ended up having to take off his air filter, which made it run a lot better because it doesn't have to work as hard to draw in the air/fuel mixture. His compression was like 93. Started to get real hard to start toward the end.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Member #17692
Could be either float hieght is out of tolerence, or as simple as the choke being stuck a bit inside the carb. Seen both happen to 400 2 strokes
before.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Member #19291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellatzo View Post
I am the guy in rtx's post about the Scrambler. It is a 99 Scrambler 400 and we took it up to Maine over the weekend. Ran fine all day until the end. Same issue as before, on flat ground it runs perfect. As soon as we hit a hill and slowed down it would get bogged down and I couldn't get any power to it. I had to roll back down the hill and get a running start to get up. One thing that was noticed was when it would lose power like that the quad would exhaust more smoke (than normal) with a bluish tint out of it. It was to a point where the guys riding behind me could see when my quad would start losing power because of the amount of colored smoke coming out of my exhaust. I didn't notice any problems going through water, only hills. On the last hill of the day we had to push it up to the top and as soon as I got up there it started running fine again. Really perplexed by this problem and hoping someone has an idea or solution to it.
the thing that is confusing to me that earlier in the day we climbed some hills in a sand pit. they were not giant hills but they were definately hills and there were no problems.
When this happens it is almost like a rev limiter kicks in. you push the throttle wide open and the engine speed does not increase you can hear the motor sputtering.
also, the first time i ever saw this happen to this quad it was happening on completely flat ground which leads me to believe it is not related to climbing a hill.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Member #19291
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomadge View Post
Could be either float hieght is out of tolerence, or as simple as the choke being stuck a bit inside the carb. Seen both happen to 400 2 strokes
before.
If this issue was float height or choke related why would it be so intermittent?
We rode about 35-40 miles and it only happened once during that entire time.
through huge mud holes up hills on streets u name it we saw most conditions you would encounter on a quad.

I am leaning towards a bad connection or wiring issue. But i realize we cant rule anything out till we find an actual problem
Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19342
I don't know how they mount the coil on this machine but I had a trailblazer 250 2 stroke that occasionally acted weird like the rev limiter was on. Turned out the the bolts holding the coil on where loose and would intermittently loose the connection.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:11 PM

Member #19291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamper View Post
I don't know how they mount the coil on this machine but I had a trailblazer 250 2 stroke that occasionally acted weird like the rev limiter was on. Turned out the the bolts holding the coil on where loose and would intermittently loose the connection.
The coil is under the front removable panel infront of/under the headlight and handle bars. I replaced the coil with a new coil and wire 3 weeks ago. i know the bolts are tight i tightened them myself. i also (last season)checked the cap resistance and it is within spec.
any other ideas? Anyone?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Member #19291
does anyone know if the etc system (electronic throttle control) would cause this issue?
I am not familiar with polaris ETC.
Does ETC kill the motor or will it allow the motor to remain running with low power.
like a govorner at say 1200 - 2000 rpm

i have 2 yamaha snowmobiles with tors (throttle over ride system)
this quad behaves very similar to the way my sleds act when the tors is engaged.
it stays running but it sounds and runs like something is limiting/governing the motor

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Search tags for this page
2009 polaris 400 scrambler backfires no power high rpm
400 scrambler flatening out wide open
99 polaris scrambler 400 has no power going in forward

how to disable rev limiter on polaris scrambler

my 02 polaris scrambler 400 has no power

no reverse polaris scrambler
polaris 400 sport popping sounnd then power loss

replace spark plugs 1996 polaris honda 400 sport

scrambler 400 hill climb?
scrambler 400 no low end

throttle plate scrambler400

where is the fuse box on 02 scrambler 400
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.