Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Polaris Scrambler Discussions for the Polaris Scrambler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19342
I still think this is a compression issue 98 psi isn't the much. It's enough to run but it will lack power. 1 Thing to try is pull the air filter out and give it a go this will make it easier for it to draw in the air/fuel mixture if it runs a lot better time for a rebuild. Same symptoms as my buddies had on his scrammy and he was in the low 90s when they checked it.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:02 AM

Member #20502
I had a 96 scrambler that I bought cheap because it had similar symptoms. When I got it home I immediately checked compression, it was 101. So I tore down the top end and found the problem. Both skirts on the piston were cracked and had pieces missing off of them and the rings were also a bit sloppy. The cylinder only needed a slight honing. I attribute this to excessive cylinder heat. So I started looking and sure enough I could see where the previous owner had replaced a coolant hose. Instead of buying the factory pre-bent one he rigged on a homemade one with plastic elbows that still leaked slowly. This told me that theres a good possibility that he ran the machine hot before.
Anyways, my machine still had enough compression to run but the damaged skirts accounted for the power loss. Its easy enough to strip down the top end just to check it. Maybe itll be fine and then you can at least rule it out.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #20152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr975j View Post
i definitely dont think my problem is electrical. like i said before, if i stop on a hill, or even an incline and try to move from a dead stop, i dont have a chance. the motor will spit and putter and i end up having to get off the quad and walk it up the hill. to me, it seems like a carb issue. my problem is that i really dont know much about carbs. i think im running rich; i keep fouling plugs.

if im moving and hit the throttle, its responsive and runs great. if im on flat ground it will spit and sputter its way up to speed then the power will come in. if im on a hill, the power never comes on and i have to walk up the hill. it sucks.

Sam
the problem you just described is one of the others that i was having and that is jetting related youre way over jetted
25in swamp foxes
12 vision buckshot wheels
purple polaris sport seat to match shocks
v force carbon fiber reeds
reed spacer kit
uni airfilter

COMING SOON
Purple polaris sport hood
aftermarket silencer from hpd-inc.com
cluctch kit also from them
Old 11-22-2011, 12:42 PM

Member #13454
Quote:
Originally Posted by poposcrammy View Post
Quote:
i definitely dont think my problem is electrical. like i said before, if i stop on a hill, or even an incline and try to move from a dead stop, i dont have a chance. the motor will spit and putter and i end up having to get off the quad and walk it up the hill. to me, it seems like a carb issue. my problem is that i really dont know much about carbs. i think im running rich; i keep fouling plugs.

if im moving and hit the throttle, its responsive and runs great. if im on flat ground it will spit and sputter its way up to speed then the power will come in. if im on a hill, the power never comes on and i have to walk up the hill. it sucks.

Sam
the problem you just described is one of the others that i was having and that is jetting related youre way over jetted
can i keep the jet the same and turn the air screw up?

Sam
Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #20152
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poposcrammy View Post
Quote:

Sam
can i keep the jet the same and turn the air screw up?

Sam
im not fur sure on that you have to run all the corrrect mods for your jetting or it screws up everything just pull the seat then the air box unscrew the top of the carb and there should be a dial a jet in ther pop the little clip off and move it down one neotch then see how it does if that doesnt help go back the other way if that still doesnt help i think its rebuild time......
25in swamp foxes
reed spacer kit
uni airfilter

COMING SOON
Old 11-24-2011, 03:43 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6519
If it only happens on a hill are you sure your floats are set correct. I would think a fat jet would be fat all the time not just here and there. 96psi is way low. You might also check to see if a crank seal or drain plug is loose.
HPD trail pipe
Bored out carb
V-force 2 reeds
HPD Torque spacer
Ritter trail light fly wheel
HPD black prim
HPD purple sec
Ritter block off
Girdle and case saver
5mm stroker
Old 11-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #7294
Sounds like clutching or belt issues, also with the water issue the seals some where on the cover are leaking or are warped.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:41 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #20152
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckorlando View Post
If it only happens on a hill are you sure your floats are set correct. I would think a fat jet would be fat all the time not just here and there. 96psi is way low. You might also check to see if a crank seal or drain plug is loose.
thats not really true cause mine would just be toodling along and give out then all of a sudden it would come alive again i almost flipped it over cause i went full throttle and all it did was bog then it out of nowhere took off hit a log and dragged the grab bar DOWN a hill
25in swamp foxes
reed spacer kit
uni airfilter

COMING SOON
Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6519
I aint sure what I say that was'nt true. A fat jet is always fat. It aint fat here and not there. I did'nt say it was'nt a jet. What you experianced was loading up. But it was still fat all the time. If not then a corection would leave you lean in any situation that you were previously perfect in
HPD trail pipe
Bored out carb
V-force 2 reeds
HPD Torque spacer
Ritter trail light fly wheel
HPD black prim
HPD purple sec
Ritter block off
Girdle and case saver
5mm stroker
Old 12-01-2011, 04:21 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #20152
ya ure rite that thing did load up like a mother it was pretty crazy but mine had a pipe and filter adn all that stuff and some people stole all that but didnt change jetting and i had a fat jet
25in swamp foxes
reed spacer kit
uni airfilter

COMING SOON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Search tags for this page
1997 polaris scrambler 400 burning white smoke
atv wont climb hill from dead stop

how to bypass polaris electronic throttle control

how to bypass polaris etc

how to disable rev limiter on polaris scrambler

my 02 polaris scrambler 400 has no power

my 1997 polaris scrambler 500 doesnt seem to have all power to the wheeks

my polaris 500 runs great on flat land but bogs down to a stop with high rpms on inclines

polaris atv 2cycle looses power at high rpm 350

polaris scrambler 400 has no snap
polaris srambler sounds like sucking air at low rpms

throttle plate scrambler400

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.