Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Polaris Scrambler Discussions for the Polaris Scrambler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Member #8976
Fuel leaking out of bottom of Carb

New to the Forum! So recently I brought my scrambler 500 home to work on it over the winter. I noticed very strong gas fumes filling up my garage and house. I figured it was my gas cap since its missing the plastic piece over the gauge but taping that didnt help.

When I looked at my Carb i noticed the lower head was completely soaked in gas! It was leaking from that little silver nipple whenever I would shake the Quad. Check the pics out for more detail. There was nothing on the end of that little nipple so I added a tube and a screw to stop it from leaking and stinking up my house. Can someone please tell me what this is and why it is leaking? Is there supposed to be a tube connected to it?

Thanks!

Pics:

From the CVT side:

The thing thats leaking(Note the added tube)
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
First, welcome to the board.

Its either your floats are stuck inside the bowl, or you needle seat needs to be replaced.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post

Its either your floats are stuck inside the bowl, or you needle seat needs to be replaced.
OR as in my case, the screw for the drain was over tightened. I rebuilt the carb on mine, replaced the needle and seat and it still leaked... A 2.45 cent screw fixed the problem.!!

LOL

BTW< there is supposed to be a hose on it. It runs down the the swing arm where it drains to the ground.

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:43 PM

Member #8976
I figured it would involve something like that. How hard is it to rebuld one of these? My local RoyalDistributing sells the complete Rebuilt kit for $26.99 so I would consider doing it myself.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 PM

Member #8976
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
Quote:

OR as in my case, the screw for the drain was over tightened. I rebuilt the carb on mine, replaced the needle and seat and it still leaked... A 2.45 cent screw fixed the problem.!!

LOL

CW
Hmm lol. Did yours drip when you moved or shook the quad like mine? Where did you get the screw from?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
I got the screw from Babbitts Sports Center | Arctic Cat OEM Parts | Can-Am (Bombardier) OEM Parts | Honda OEM Parts | Kawasaki OEM Parts | Polaris OEM Parts | Sea-Doo OEM Parts | Ski-Doo OEM Parts | Suzuki OEM Parts | Yamaha OEM Parts

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:51 PM

Member #8976
Alright Thanks! For the time being do you think its safe to drive with it plugged?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
There is that possiblility too, but you dont see it too often, especially if you havent touched it since before it started leaking.

Check with the rebuild kits. Probably not a bad idea to do at this point anyway, but most complete rebuild kits will not include floats or the needle seat. the needle seat alone usually runs $20-$30 by itself.

familiar with carbs at all?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:05 PM

Member #8976
Quote:
There is that possiblility too, but you dont see it too often, especially if you havent touched it since before it started leaking.

Check with the rebuild kits. Probably not a bad idea to do at this point anyway, but most complete rebuild kits will not include floats or the needle seat. the needle seat alone usually runs $20-$30 by itself.

familiar with carbs at all?
The description says it "Includes all necessary Gaskets, O-Rings, Float Valve assembly or Float needles and Jets to Rebuild one O.E.M Carb"

Not sure if it would include that or not.

I will try the little screw for now, But yeah I do agree with you on it needing a rebuild anyways. It's 10 years old so it wouldnt be a bad idea.

I work at a place who work with powersport Carbs alot so I could get it done there.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 PM

Member #8976
So I pulled the Screw out and it looks like the tip of it is broken off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Scrambler

Search tags for this page
1999 polaris sportsman 500 fuel leak
2002 artic cat atv replace float needle still leaks
2002 sportsman 500 carb drain leaks
arctic cat 400 carb leaks fuel
arctic cat atv carburetor drain screw

atv carburetor leaking gas

polaris 500 carburetor leaking

polaris 500 sportsman carburetor leaks

polaris carb leaking out the bouttom
polaris sportsman 500 fuel leaking from carb
what does the house at the bottom of a carburetor do
you tube replacing nedle and seat on polaris 500
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.