Purchasing a new 570... advice? - Page 3 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

If you are not familiar with the new Polaris's they are pre wired for the Polaris winch. If you can get a good deal on one you can bolt it on yourself in about 15 minutes. No need to do a bunch of wiring. I got a decent deal on mine when I bought the machine new so I went that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Well, I ended up finding a 2017 570 EPS in Camo for a little better deal than the local guy had on a 2016, so I went and picked it up on Friday night. I had it out Saturday for a while and again today. Here are my thoughts...

1. The camo is gorgeous, in my camo-loving opinion.
2. The power steering is pretty nice, yet it will take me a little getting used to. I'm used to that "feedback from the tires" and with Eps, you don't have that anymore....
3. We've had a week of rain, so the woods are a little muddy. Just a few inches of greasy, sloppy mud. The stock tires don't clean out very well in it, and while I didn't have to much of an issue going up hills, coming down it was sliding all over the place. I felt like the EPS was trying to hold the wheel spin down like it should, but that just caused me to slide about every quarter turn of the tire. If I rode the break and just SLOWLY creeped down the banks, it wasn't as bad. I feel a tire that cleans out better would improve this. I'll be researching tires, but I'm in no hurry.
4. Shifting was very hard the first day, but a little better today. I'm going to keep an eye on it and if it doesn't improve, I'll take it in and see if they can shim the clutch maybe. Seems to be a fairly common issue.

I had read a lot about the heat issues on the right leg. I sat idling for a good while today at one point and felt some warmth, but nothing I was overly concerned about. I've ridden other bikes and atv's that have done the same thing or been worse, so I don't see that as an issue, personally.

Overall comfort and power of the machine was good. I was still taking it easy and baby-ing it a little, at least for the break-in period...

I'm a proud and happy Polaris owner.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:33 PM

I own a 2015 570 sp touring. Would I buy another? Probably not. IMO the cons far outweigh the pros. I love the look and you can't beat that reliable Polaris suspension they're famous for and the tires are awesome for being stock but that's about the only thing reliable on mine. I bought it new and and put 3200 miles on it in one year but that wasn't without numerous trips to the dealer for different issues from timing chain replacement to a faulty voltage regulator and they can't quite figure out why it keeps stalling and dropping rpms. I'm afraid to take it out on longer rides due to it stalling and not starting again. I can't wear shorts riding on a hot summer day either for fear of third degree burns on my right leg. But hey, it's a tough looking bike though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:13 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Well I'm just tickled pink with my 2017. I'm not too worried about the problems that everyone bitches about. Had some insider knowledge that a lot of the problems with models up to 2016 have been fixed or improved upon. And no that guy wasn't affiliated with the dealer where I bought it. That doesn't mean that they won't have their own problems potentially, but hey it's part of it I suppose. Nothing I have ever owned didn't have issues, even if they are little ones.

2017 Sage green 570EPS
3500lb. Warn winch with synthetic cable
Front and rear rack extenders
Street legal kit
Grip and thumb warmers
Polaris Glacier Pro 60" plow and mounts
ATV TEK Trio hitch
Yuasa 1amp battery maintainer
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:56 AM
ATV Enthusiast

I'm hopefully making a deal on a 16' 570 eps in the next few days here. It does scare me a bit to see complaints, But I worked as a tech at several different car dealer for 12yrs and 1 thing I learned is every brand has its issues or a lemon, or a line of lemons that escape the factory. So, I could possibly pay the big bucks and step up to a Can am, or Honda and have issues with them also because they all have some kind of problems. Everyone puts Honda and Can am on a pedestal and bashes Polaris, one thing I learned about Honda is they have the weakest rated engines, lowest travel suspensions, lowest tow ratings and are very basic old school machines. They haven't changed them much in forever, so that equals there great reliability score with consumers. Honda is a good work horse or retirement cruiser. LOL! Can am I believe is a good machine, but it is at least $1000 more than a Polaris right off the bat. I've been watching videos on all the machines and Honda can't compare at all to can am or Polaris's capabilities, they finished last in every test! Can am generally was a favorite, but the one thing I noticed from watching the videos is how can ams 4x4 system is kinda dangerous. I noticed when people are riding them at low speeds through ruff or slick terrain the rear tires loose traction, along with 1 front tire loses traction so your "stuck'' now. So then 90% of the people in these videos hit the gas and lean over or shift their weight over the spinning tire to try to get unstuck, well now the rider is hanging off the seat in a weird position and all the sudden the can am system shifts the power to the other front tire which takes a minute, it grips, grabs and the machine launches uncontrollably out of the situation. Yea it works, but I don't like how it works because the rider generally has fun hanging onto the atv at that point. So I'm gonna take a chance and go with a sportsman. Everyone in the family swears by Honda, and can am, I'm gonna be different and hopefully its for the best!
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Forums are notorious for blowing things way out of proportion. A few people with the same issue can make it appear to be an epidemic of biblical proportions when they get on a forum. It doesn't matter, Polaris, Canam, Honda, Yamaha, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, they're all the same. Nobody would ever buy anything if they believed all they read on forums...

2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn XT25, Iron Baltic HDPE Skid Plates (Mine)
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn Vantage 3000, Warn Mid-Mount Plow (Wife's)

2011 XP 850 EPS (SOLD 3,600 miles), 28" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD2 Wheels, Warn XT25, Ricochet Ultimate protection, Elka Stage 1 shocks, QSC clutch kit
2009 Sportsman 500 EFI HO (SOLD 2,600 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch, Cycle Country plow (Wife's)
2007 Sportsman 800 X2 (SOLD 2,500 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
Well, there is a recall on the 2up 570's (touring, X2, and Big Boss), there are 9900 units being recalled. there are not anywhere near 9900 570 owners on here complaining about issues. off my head I'd "GUESS" that that number is closer to 50-100 at most that are having issues with them. so that's MAYBE 1% of 570's having issues where people are coming here to get answers/bitch about them. So give that a margin for people that don't feel the need to vent on the internet to complete strangers and I'll give you 5% MAX of 570s that are having issues. I'm sorry but anyone with a brain would be fine with those odds. If I told you I'd sell you a lottery ticket that only had 5% chance of loosing. would you buy it?

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

2007 Hawkeye 300 17HP of gutless glory
25" STI Black Diamond ATRs
Pure Polaris Deluxe front Brush guard
Pure Polaris hand guards
4" LED on the pod
8" LED light bar on the front bumper.
Tamarack Titan Luxury Lounger
Cabela's Chainsaw mount
Badlands 2500 lbs. winch w/remote and Kong winch saver.
Full Aluminum Skid plate and A-arm guards(custom built)
Pure Polaris Front rack extension
Quadworks Stage 1 power kit
  • K&N Highflow reusable filter
  • Quadworks highflow prefilter
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers

Towable/equipment
Custom built road drag grader

Future mods
Rear bumper/brush guard

Last edited by ThorsHammer; 01-05-2017 at 10:39 AM.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:18 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Well, there is a recall on the 2up 570's (touring, X2, and Big Boss), there are 9900 units being recalled. there are not anywhere near 9900 570 owners on here complaining about issues. off my head I'd "GUESS" that that number is closer to 50-100 at most that are having issues with them. so that's MAYBE 1% of 570's having issues where people are coming here to get answers/bitch about them. So give that a margin for people that don't feel the need to vent on the internet to complete strangers and I'll give you 5% MAX of 570s that are having issues. I'm sorry but anyone with a brain would be fine with those odds. If I told you I'd sell you a lottery ticket that only had 5% chance of loosing. would you buy it?

It's all fun and games till your part of the 5%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:34 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
Well, I ended up finding a 2017 570 EPS in Camo for a little better deal than the local guy had on a 2016, so I went and picked it up on Friday night. I had it out Saturday for a while and again today. Here are my thoughts...

1. The camo is gorgeous, in my camo-loving opinion.
2. The power steering is pretty nice, yet it will take me a little getting used to. I'm used to that "feedback from the tires" and with Eps, you don't have that anymore....
3. We've had a week of rain, so the woods are a little muddy. Just a few inches of greasy, sloppy mud. The stock tires don't clean out very well in it, and while I didn't have to much of an issue going up hills, coming down it was sliding all over the place. I felt like the EPS was trying to hold the wheel spin down like it should, but that just caused me to slide about every quarter turn of the tire. If I rode the break and just SLOWLY creeped down the banks, it wasn't as bad. I feel a tire that cleans out better would improve this. I'll be researching tires, but I'm in no hurry.
4. Shifting was very hard the first day, but a little better today. I'm going to keep an eye on it and if it doesn't improve, I'll take it in and see if they can shim the clutch maybe. Seems to be a fairly common issue.

I had read a lot about the heat issues on the right leg. I sat idling for a good while today at one point and felt some warmth, but nothing I was overly concerned about. I've ridden other bikes and atv's that have done the same thing or been worse, so I don't see that as an issue, personally.

Overall comfort and power of the machine was good. I was still taking it easy and baby-ing it a little, at least for the break-in period...

I'm a proud and happy Polaris owner.
Congrats on the new ATV! Is the shifting getting any smoother? Years ago I bought a new Sportsman 700 and 500 which had hard shifting while plowing snow. The dealer adjusted something in the clutching and it shifted extremely well afterwards.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thank you!

The shifting is a little better. I had contacted a local dealer (not where I bought it) about the hard shifting. He told me that they changed some things on the newer models and that shimming the clutch/transmission is no longer an option as there is nothing to shim anymore. (however, posts on this forum of guys having it done seem to be on the contrary). He did tell me one thing that I wasn't doing that does seem to help. He said make sure to set the parking break before putting it into "Park". He said that will keep some of the pressure off the gears. That does help a little, but I still think the clutch is a little off. My idle seems to be exactly where it should be, but if I'm sitting on level, smooth ground, and put it in gear, it will start pulling forward a little, and I'm under the impression that should not be happening. I plan to call some more Polaris service departments until I find one willing to put in the time to help me get it right. Aside from that worrying me to death, I love the machine and I'm still very happy with my purchase.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode