Utility trailer question - Page 3 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris Sportsman 570 Discussions for the all new 2014+ Polaris Sportsman 570

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I think I'd pass on that "Swisher receiver hitched one wheel wonder"...... and just get a good garden/utility cart (Polar, impact Implements or similar: Impact Implements ATV Trailer/Sled : Cabela's ) if I needed to haul a load. Or get a cheap harbor freight utility trailer (road worthy with leaf springs: 1090 lb. Capacity 40-1/2 in x 48 in Utility Trailer) and a deck and sides and be better off in the long run!!

Matthew "MustBeNice"

2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED) Sept. 2015 ATV Of The Month
Mods: Polaris 2500HD Winch - Synthetic Rope - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Glacier3 60" Plow - Polaris Rack Extenders - Polaris Bumpers - LowPro Shield - Polaris Hand Guards - Warning Debadge - 3Way Head Light (Relay) - Cabelas Mirrors - Wes Ind. Std Seat/Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" ITP MudLite Tires - HighLifter HD Springs - MotoAlliance Sirius 6" Pro LED Light Bar

2005 SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Mid Shield - Wes Ind. Seat/Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Mirrors - Polaris Bumpers - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

2014 RZR 570 EFI EPS LE TRAIL (WHITE LIGHTENING)
Mods: HarborFreight Badland 3500 Winch - MotoAlliance Winch Mount - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Sport Roof - 1/2 Windshield - Warning Debadge - Rear View Mirror - Seat Adjuster - 26" Maxxis Tires - MotoAlliance Sirius 10" Pro LED Light Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I'm lost on why you have to use the steep trail when you've got a serviceable driveway to get to the same spot? this is drive way work, is it not? and for that matter if you're moving that much concrete, I don't see how the truck is overkill?

And as stated, if the trailer is lifting the back, it needs to be set up differently.

But hey, it's your money. spend it where you will.

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

2007 Hawkeye 300 17HP of gutless glory
25" STI Black Diamond ATRs
Pure Polaris Deluxe front Brush guard
Pure Polaris hand guards
4" LED on the pod
8" LED light bar on the front bumper.
Tamarack Titan Luxury Lounger
Cabela's Chainsaw mount
Badlands 2500 lbs. winch w/remote and Kong winch saver.
Full Aluminum Skid plate and A-arm guards(custom built)
Pure Polaris Front rack extension
Quadworks Stage 1 power kit
  • K&N Highflow reusable filter
  • Quadworks highflow prefilter
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers

Towable/equipment
Custom built road drag grader

Future mods
Rear bumper/brush guard
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:48 PM

I posted the pic of my garden trailer... you'll note I used a 2 foot extension that is on top of the tongue. What isn't pictured is my drop ball mount in the quad receiver. Perhaps you need to level your trailer out a bit more... I have had that trailer heaping full of dirt - a lot of weight... no problems.

2016 Sportsman 570 Indy Red
Superwinch LT3000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

These are older screen shots but you can get an idea of what I'm dealing with.

The solar shed is above the home site and is a narrow very steep foot or ATV trail. I guess I'm having a bit of trouble conveying the scope of the access issues. The driveway is not the issue (other than maintenance) it is the site above the home that presents a challenge. We have a 3500 gallon water tank, solar shed, 2 strings of solar panels, a green house, rain water collection system and a future fish pond.

You can barely see the ATV trail in the photo but assure you it is there.

Adjusting the load or leveling will not even begin to address the issue.

Last edited by Kep1a; 02-16-2017 at 01:04 AM.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

any way you can draw in where the trail is? is it possible to change the route of the trail to make it not as steep? you're definitely out in BFE, that's for sure.

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

Pure Polaris hand guards
4" LED on the pod
Cabela's Chainsaw mount
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers

Towable/equipment

Future mods
Rear bumper/brush guard
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Other issues aside, that trailer just does not look robust with that one universal wheel. As the others, I have not seen anything like that in the past so I know almost nothing about it other than what your picture shows. My first instinct is that you may be inviting an off center issue where the torque of that trailer can create an unsafe situation. Think about how much the utility trailer affects you, and that has two wheels and pulls your back end up, imagine if it applied a twisting force in addition to or instead of.. Sorry that the solutions being discussed are not fitting your needs, and I don't have better to offer except to approach this one with a lot of caution. Best of luck on this one!

2015 Sportsman 570 SP
Titanium Matte Metallic
Superwinch 3,000lbs winch
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Not that it matters but yes I drew it in blue. You see once you get steep enough the trailer becomes a leaver on the hitch. My thought was that if I keep the load between the single wheel and the ATV I mitigate the cantilever effect created by the dual wheel trailer with the load split fore and aft of the axle. For the record the solar shed and water tank are 96' above the home site. The home site is 400' above the driveway entrance.

What really sucks is I have an ATV that does just fine. I wanted to add some farm and bucket implements but the Magnum 425 with a 200 watt charger and solid rear axle could not be adapted for that use/abuse. The sportsman 570 seemed like the perfect upgrade until I saw the rack limitations.

Last edited by Kep1a; 02-16-2017 at 08:07 PM.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

take the right equipment and a couple of days and put a road in otherwise it will bite you how long you live there.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

where does the steep part really take effect? at the hard left, or the Right turn as you're going up?

Is it possible to extend the trail. say instead of making the right and going essentially straight up the hill, continue straight and then loop around to the back of the upper buildings? It's hard to see the true topography of the hill from the photo, so that may not be possible based on grade, and other terrain obstacles.

Just trying to come up with alternative options. because I don't think that that cart is really going to help you. you're right, in the fact that it will not lift up on the rear. but it will definitely push down on it with enough force to severly lighten the front end causing steering and traction issues.

If that doesn't work, you could always set up a cable lift to take materials up to the upper landing. lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Road_LI (2).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1,015.9 KB
ID:	70985  

Pure Polaris hand guards
4" LED on the pod
Cabela's Chainsaw mount
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers

Towable/equipment

Future mods
Rear bumper/brush guard
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

The problem is the county won't allow us to put in a permanent vehicle access road so we can't permit a road and I'm not paying a fine for putting one in! Short story is that the reality is that the new UN agenda 21 regulations about slope and cross slope prevent it. Hell If the 20 acre parcel I have owned since 1991 and the driveway had not been grandfathered in before the new slope laws I could not have even got a permit to build our retirement home!

Yes the steep part is the right turn. The existing trail is the best access and it is the least risk to exposure to roll over and such. It is far steeper with any other approach. I did use a block and tackle attached to a skid to transport the 12 345# each batteries to the top but that was a real PITA and took two days. I may have to just keep the Magnum for uses such as this. I just never expected this is all.

All this because Polaris saw fit to make their ATV less utilitarian and durable IMHO LOL.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman 570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode