Polaris ATV Forum banner

Voltage issue

22K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  shaness 
#1 · (Edited)
Sportsman 570. OK so today we go out riding and when I first got on my machine, I looked at the display and it said low volts 10.8. I left it running and a buddy shut it off because we weren't heading out right away, but he never shut the key off and my heated grips and thumb were on high so I didn't think too much about it. Fired up fine, went for a ride and about an hour later I noticed I had low voltage again. It was reading 10.8-10.6 and slowly dropping. We turn around and headed for home and when I was heading across the field it was all the way down to 8.8. I expected it to start popping and running like crap but it rode back fine. I shut it down and tried to start it..... started fine. I turned my grips on, my high beams on my light bar on trying to get the low volt to turn on but it didn't. I turned it off and left all accessories on and eventually the low voltage came back on. ok. So I fired it up drove into the shop and got out the multi meter. It was at 12.4 at the battery not running and when I fired it up it was charging at 14.1 ? So I shut it off and turned the accessories back on to get the low voltage to light up again. It did at 10.8 v , so the dash was reading 10.6 and I tested the battery and it was reading 11.8. Now I scratch my head fire it up and take it out for a 10 min ride around the field. Runs fine, no low voltage with accessories off or on. Has anyone had an issue similar to this? Im thinking I possibly have a wire worn through and grounding on me but I have to get it cleaned and start searching tomorrow. I should mention when the low voltage came on when I was riding, I shut off all accessories to see if it would charge and the harder I ran it the faster the voltage dropped. thx

See less See more
#2 ·
Check your stator wires, the 3 yellow ones from engine to the regulator. My clip holding them broke off and they started to run on the motor, causing a short.

#4 ·
So I've checked everything. Stator/wires/battery/charging at 14.2v everything seems to be working fine now. I'm wondering if the regulator is about to crap out. Has anyone on here got a good deal on a regulator not from the dealer? EBay amazon etc? Are they decent quality? I mean the ones from polaris don't seem to be great anyway.

#5 ·
had a regulator problem on my scrambler when new, charged fine when cold but after about 40 minutes would stop charging everytime. I'd just buy a oem part personally.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. Ill have to put some more miles on it to pin down the problem. Im a little hesitant to spend the money on polaris parts when their parts are sourced out by japanese mfg anyway. Its a piss off, every other trip I make north with this thing I come in on a strap. I dont mind paying more if the quality is there.

#7 ·
If it turns out to be the regulator, I bought from RM Stator. Quality stuff, and not a bad price, at least up here in Canada.

#8 ·
I put this one on my 1000 when my factory one failed. Everything mounted and plugged in just fine and seems to work good. Only visible difference between this and the OEM one was the wire gauge (or possibly just the insulation thickness) on the 3 yellow leads coming form the stator connector. The wires on the aftermarket unit were thinner, which initially gave me a little heartburn, but after several rides and lots of accessory usage (winch for plowing, driver and passenger heated grips, headlights etc) I haven't seen a problem yet, so I'm happy with it.

#9 ·
I know you said you checked all your wires, but I had a similar problem last winter. Thought my wires were good until I checked where the stator wires are zip tied next to the oil filter housing. It's really back there and had to pretty much take the plastics off to find it. The oil filter housing melted thru the loom and then thru the wire causing my stator wire to short. Even if this isn't your issue it's worth a check, I know other 570 owners who have damage to the same spot and just hasn't worn thru enough yet to the copper of the wire. Here is the link to my post a while back with pictures. Hope this helps. http://www.polarisatvforums.com/#/topics/123938?page=1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.