Polaris ATV Forum banner

Frame stiffeners needed for 2017 xp1000?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Reignition 
#1 ·
I am getting a new XP 1000. I have a 2014 xp850. I have seen a couple
post mention frame stiffeners for the xp1000. Are the xp1000 frames weaker than the 850 I would have guessed they were pretty much the same. I don't do a lot of jumping or real hard riding the hardest thing I do to the frame is going over fallen tree's and bottom out while going over. Just like to get some info and opinions. Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Assuming a similar frame design between the 850 and the 1000, I would definitely install whatever was available to strengthen the frame. I never did anything like jumping my 850, only technical trail riding. Rear end damn near fell out of it. The a-arm mounts ripped right off the frame. After welding them back on with additional gussets and adding Rick's frame braces, life is good once again.

Mark

#4 ·
Even tho the frames have had changes thru the years to make them stronger with the most recent the integrated snow plow mounts and rear lap joint behind the transmission mount from 2015 and up - they never addressed the areas where my frame braces are needed for the front and rear lower a arms mounts.

So yes I would get the front & rear frame braces installed - its not always about how hard you ride but mistakes happen, stumps in high grass, unknown ditch on a dusty trail or even a mistake with a friend running into you.

#5 ·
In my case, I think not keeping on top of the a-arm mounting bolt torque was the biggest contributing factor. Once those inner a-arm bolts loosen, things start to move around and after some time, things go sideways in a hurry.

Mark

#6 ·
Thanks for the info and thoughts I will be getting a arm brackets. I have noticed on all the Polaris I owned the paint comes off at the welds were a arms
brackets are. And what rick said makes a lot of sense its not just how you ride but what can happen when you ride. thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.