Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #9342
Plow setup

What do I need for an entire plow setup for my 2010 400 ?
I have seen several and have heard a lot about the Glacier system.
What is the difference between the 3 systems ?
Not planning on pushing a lot of snow , just have a small drive.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
You need four basic things.

A winch to raise and lower the plow
The plow mount
The plow push frame
The plow.

I dont know a lot about the difference of the three. GII and GIII are quick release plow systems. Its been said the GII has weak points, but I havent heard or seen anything personally about this, and dont know much about the newer GIII system
Old 12-24-2010, 01:31 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #10162
G1 = mid mount ( the mounting plate goes under the quad ) less then an inch of ground clearance is lost. Good mount and it takes a beating,so it can be left on year round.
G2 = Front mount , No loss of ground clearance. Easist to hook up. Weak push tubes,but can weld supports onthem. Can leave the mount on year round.
G3 = mid mount ,Havent used it but have seen it.The mount Looks weak,would not think about leaving it on year round
They all take the same G Blades
I'v heard the G2's on the XP's have a problem with keeping the blade down due to the 12 ground clearance,and the bottom of the push tubes scrape whatever your plowing,,,not good.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 AM
Supporting Vendor
Premium Member

Member #1219
We sell lots of plow systems and I would suggest staying away from the China built popo systems. We get lots of customers who convert from them because of issues with bending and cracking welds. I would suggest going with something not too expensive but a better quality since you are only doing a drive way or 2. If you plan on getting a winch be sure to get a system with that has the brake. If not the plow will not stay up in the air for longer periods of time. You also have the option of a manual lift. These are nice because they are much faster to lift and lower the blade. Cost is less because no winch is needed. I will PM you over some info.

Thor

Owner of Thor's TheATVSuperStore.com. Where we test what we sell and only sell the best!

2012 Sportsman 850XP Orange Madness. TheATVSuperStore.com lock and ride rear box, 60" American Eagle Plow w/ETS, Collett headsets, heated grips/thumb, shield, ATV Mirrors, 3 in 1 ATV hitch, RotoPax fuel pack built in front box, Orange Ricochet A Arm Guards, 26" STI Black Diamond XTR tires on HD3 Wheels, TheATVSuperStore Helmet & HID lights all from www.TheATVSuperStore.com
Old 12-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1986
I agree with Thor. If one would take the time to go look at some plow systems and see the difference in the gauge (and quality) of steel in the plow, and mount, and tube, plus the size of the springs, the quality of the hardware and welds... when compared to a Warn, Eagle, Moose, or other systems... I think they would make a better decision, and it wouldn't be to buy that cheap Chinese Polaris junk.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:48 AM

Member #9645
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
We sell lots of plow systems and I would suggest staying away from the China built popo systems. We get lots of customers who convert from them because of issues with bending and cracking welds. I would suggest going with something not too expensive but a better quality since you are only doing a drive way or 2. If you plan on getting a winch be sure to get a system with that has the brake. If not the plow will not stay up in the air for longer periods of time. You also have the option of a manual lift. These are nice because they are much faster to lift and lower the blade. Cost is less because no winch is needed. I will PM you over some info.

Thor
I've got a 2011 Sp. 500 HO, could you PM me some info on plow packages? Thanks
Old 12-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7044
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Branch View Post
I agree with Thor. If one would take the time to go look at some plow systems and see the difference in the gauge (and quality) of steel in the plow, and mount, and tube, plus the size of the springs, the quality of the hardware and welds... when compared to a Warn, Eagle, Moose, or other systems... I think they would make a better decision, and it wouldn't be to buy that cheap Chinese Polaris junk.
On the other hand if you go with a heavier duty plow (heavier in weight),
you "may" have more of the Front end squat that we hear about when the plow is raised,
then an upgrade for front springs comes next.

Lately I've read the debates on the Polaris G series plows being cheaply
made. I have the G2 on my `07 800, so far I pushed some snow,
gravel for a driveway and some dirt. Haven't had a problem as of yet.
I can't help but wonder if it's actual a true weakness with the G plows or maybe user error of some sort.
Meaning use the plow within a safe measure and what it's built to do.

I do realize there are plows made for different jobs, but if your going
like hell and ramming into things with stuff getting bent, broken winch cable & rope. I'd question the use & user.
So if you go to a more heavy duty plow where now nothings getting
bent (regarding the plow, push tube & mount) what's taking the jolt now?
I would think that ramming jolt is being transferred through out the ATV
some where else now. Then come Spring & Summer you may find a problem
and wonder, now how did this happen?

Just a thought.

1998 Scrambler 400 4x4 2 stroke (SOLD)
Old 12-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1986
Well, I've been plowing with an ATV (3 and 4 wheelers) for going on... somewhere around 30 years, so I know how to plow, and don't ram into stuff. The only plow mount, springs and plow blade that I had problems with was the G II, and I've had 5 (or 6 - can't remember them all) different other systems on my quads. I plow the same driveway with my Eagle plow system with no problems. Of course, anyone with eyes and half a brain can see the difference between the two systems.

Just a thought.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7044
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Branch View Post
Of course, anyone with eyes and half a brain can see the difference between the two systems.

Just a thought.
North Branch,

Please forgive me as I didn't intend to come off as a Smart A$$ or disrespectful in any way with quoting you in my original post.

1998 Scrambler 400 4x4 2 stroke (SOLD)
Old 12-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #3405
I have a G2 with a 60" blade on my 06 500 and have had no problems with it breaking welds or bending. I have pushed dirt and stone.
I too and a little leary of the G3 mount getting beat up when riding instead of plowing snow. I am going to hold out and use the 500 to plow this year, and maybe this summer sell the plow and get one for the XP.

Old enough to know better but, still too young to care!
http://s859.photobucket.com/home/cableguy657/allalbums

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
atv plow set up

atv plow setup

best atv plow setup
cost of plow setup for polaris sportsman
four wheeler plow setup
how do i hook up a warn 374035 plow blade 48 inch cable
how to hook a snow plow on palaris sportsman 700
how to hook up atv plow
polaris plows setups
snow plow for polaris 4 wheeler
snow plow hookup on polaris sportsman
snow plows for a polaris sportsman quick hook up
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.