Polaris ATV Forum banner

2017 850 SP Clutching

21K views 73 replies 18 participants last post by  furious465 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if Polaris changed anything in the clutching between 2016 and 2017? Those that have some seat time on a '17 - How is the stock clutching? Any different from the previous year models where it is a bit soft on take-off?

I am taking delivery of a new 2017 850 in a couple of weeks. I would rather have immediate power down low with improved hole shots, decreased lag. Wheelies put a smile on my face :big-grin Not interested in increased top end since most of my time will be spent between 0 to 45MPH. I want smooth engagement from bottom RPMs. I am pretty sure I want to install the QSC kit from day 1, but would love some suggestions from those in the know.

Thanks.

JR

#2 ·
You know the answer. You need a QSC clutch kit from day one.

#3 ·
You're probably right. I just didn't know if Polaris changed anything from 16 to 17. I tried calling QSC and RVS yesterday and neither answered. There is no information on the website about the QSC kit fitting a 17. If I knew for sure I would go ahead and get the kit coming.

#5 ·
That's the plan William, until I hear something different from somebody with first hand knowledge of the 17's. I am coming off a modded prairie 700 and the throttle response was immediate. Just really chomping at the bit for 2 more weeks until my dealer can find a blue 850.I am new to Polaris so I would appreciate it if anybody wIth first hand knowledge of the 17's could steer a new Polaris guy in the right direction. I also don't know what to do about the pinion cover and the a arm braces. Mine is the SP so it has the ADC and I would like to keep it, I think. Dont know yet. I removed the Prairie KEBC and tuned the clutching get to where I had no problem with the engine braking and was fine.

#8 ·
To each his own- I can tell you it does not suck. It has a purpose and works great. Here where I live its all Sand, from Dunes to the mountains. The EBS is too strong and makes it very sketchy sometimes. The ADC works wonders in this loose terra conditions. It has brought some security to my wife when she rides those downhill descents, and I myself use it occasionally as well.

So really, its very situational, and it does have its use. My 2 cents.:beerchug:

#9 ·
Thanks for that Jake... that is just the kind of thing I was looking for. I am also on my first polaris. How does the frame look where the a armsmall mount? DI'd you do the frame braces?

Hey Battle, do you ride a 17?

J, I plan to put the give the ADC a fair shake before disabling it.

I will probably just leave it bone stock for a while, at least until I get it broke in. , I will be sure to write up a review of a stock machine.

It is freaking hard to wait a couple more weeks before I take delivery.

#10 ·
Well it's on a switch that you turn on and off, so not sure why you would need to disable it. Just don't use it. :)

On my 2016, I just received my Cecco Frame bracers so I will be installing them next weekend.

I also will be writing a review of my new Gorilla "Silverback" 4' whip.

Your idea of leaving it stock is sound- break it in and see how she feels to you. After that, and warranty period, sky's the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Im not going to brace anything up I hope I don't have to Lol I guess we have to google a lot so we can learn. not too happy about the hitch that looks horrible. but anyways I was thinking of a slip on pipe with a reflash and clutch kit to match. that should be enough for power leave the wheels alone the sp wheels look good maybe 28 in tires after stock ones wear out. over all I like it very comfortable I have shocks set to second to the lowest also wheelies easier with soft set up

#12 ·
Thanks Jake. Have you picked somebody to do the flash?

jhalpinjr, On the ADC, I don't want to disable it, but I do want to protect the front diff from grenading. From what I read, the pinion cover is weak and can break. If you replace it with a strong aftermarket cover then I think you have to remove the ADC. I don't know if this applies to the 17 though. I plan on running the stock tires and don't plan on doing lots of mudding so I may be OK leaving it alone.

#13 · (Edited)
rvs performance stage 2 is aftermarket exhaust stock intake 91octane 8 rear wheel horsepower that seems a lot especially at the wheels. u send your ecu in for reflash for around 400 bucks there is other stages but from my experience is to leave the intake and filter alone. I hope some one can chime in with any input that would be great. might wait on reflash after warranty expires

#14 ·
It's not a wheelie machine but you can definitely wheelie it. It's hard to keep the front wheels on the ground with the throttle pinned on hard pack with stock tires and stock clutching. I have a 16 850sp. If you put highlifter springs you CANNOT keep the front end on the ground no matter what. It changed the machine 100 percent. I have heard do clutching but I won't be keeping mine long enough to justify changing the clutching.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Lol I took off the highlifter springs and don't even have the bike at my house any more. It's been at polaris dealer for a month. They called me 3 weeks ago saying it was ready but I haven't picked it up lol. Trading it in this week so didn't see a point to pick it up since I wasn't going to be riding anyway.

#20 ·
Loved them, let's you fit 30s stock with no lift. I'm trading my bike in and didn't want to give them to dealer, so I sold them on here. They do stiffen the ride but on setting 2 I couldn't get my 30s to rub with me and my wife on the bike.

#22 ·
I did a mod on my 700 where I put a crossover tube between the two intake boots right before the carbs. Ithe made it idle rough, sounded kinda like a Harley, but damn It had instantaneous power, no lag at all.I probably wont wait too long before I clutch the Polaris.

Hey Lifted, did you do anything with the ADC or pinion cover? If you don't mind me asking, what is it in the shop for?

#23 ·
Nope I left it stock. Had 30s for about 6 months. Problem with it this last time was the throttle position sensor was shorted out and sometime it would throw a check engine light. I had the voltage regulator replaced, battery replaced, the throttle sensor and the side plastic got melted and they replaced that. Take this for what it's worth which is my opinion. But I have 1500 miles probably 600 or so on my 30s and I never had the front diff break. I have used the tractor supply jd fluid in the front diff for probably 1000 miles and live in Florida hot climate. In my opinion I've mostly heard of the front diff breaking in colder weather. Not to say it doesn't happen or maybe I got lucky but it never happened to mine. I don't want to tell you if you live in a hot weather state you are safe but I believe that is why mine never shattered. I was pretty hard on it both in 2wd and 4wd.

#26 ·
I talked to the service manager at the my dealer and he said that Polaris upgraded the pinion cover on the 17's. I hope he's right. I should have mine by the end of the month and I will definitely post some pics and a review.

Damn Lifted. You are making me think I should get the 3 year extended warranty. Is that why you are selling it? At the shop too much?

#27 ·
Your service manager doesn't know what he's talking about. Only the highlifter models got the updated cover. Oh no bike was good, the only problem that worried me was the heat issues but it seems they fixed it with the updated cover. I'm trading mine for a ranger crew so the whole family can ride.

#31 ·
Not on your '17 850 - as stated. I have a '15 850 and installed the billet pinion cover - ADC is not affected on these machines. Only the machines with the longer pinion cover (which houses the ADC) will the ADC be deleted. My 2010 550 had this older ADC setup.

#32 ·
nope!

#33 · (Edited)
I think you are right about my service guy lifted.

Never tried ADC, don't even know if I'll use it much since I'm used to manual brakes with engine breaking but good to know that if I choose to replace the OEM with the updated pinion cover, it does not affect the ADC. Thanks for that Phil.

You never know, I might get lazy the next time I'm on a 40 degree decline and flip the ADC switch, take a shot, send a text and hit the bong while I'm waiting for my ride to get me safely down the hill.

Cecco or the Canadian guy for the '17 pinion cover? Sorry, advanced CRS, cant remember the guy's name, but I think he's in Canada. I heard Rick's fit better???

Oh yeah back to the original thing... Adam (QSC) is at Mud nationals this week and can't answer this.... The clutch assemblies are a different Polaris part number from 16 to 17. Anybody physically tried the 11 and up clutch kit in a 17? RVS's website shows '11-'17 to be same as previous years. QSC's website said 11-16, no mention of 17.

#39 · (Edited)
Here it is April 4th and my dealer still cant find a blue 850 SP. They are saying the 12th now. Kinda bummed that Polaris can't keep up with demand. The recall doesn't expedite things I'm sure.

So far, in anticipation I have ordered Cecco pinion cover, frame braces front and rear, QSC clutch kit from RVS, ODI grips, and getting ready to place an order for Ricochet A-arm guards.

I still plan on posting a review before I mod the clutch... well, a short, break in review... unless the stock clutch is superb.

I'm an old school guy and still can't quite wrap my head around breaking in an engine with synthetic oil.

Please feel free to comment on any and all of my ramblings.....

Signed..... need quad yesterday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.