Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 05:41 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #12321
Supplies for all day trail riding?

This is my first go at the off road side of life. I've been on paved roads with 2 wheels for years and know how to prepare for a road trip, but not a clue with the pavement disappears! Living in MI and having a cabin in Lake County around 100's of miles of trails, I've got a few vacation days planned. So what is on everybody's list for items that are an absolute must? What is your clothing choice to make it fun and comfortable regardless of what you may or may not get into?
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #4997
I wish I had that scenery to explore. My kit includes a 12 pack of choice beer and a buddy with a tow rope! lol. My only real concern would be a flat which I am addressing now. Other than that we really don't get too far from home/camp.
3500lb Polaris Winch
Rear Rack Extender w/Moose cargo box (modified)

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #9495
Send a message via AIM to glngib Send a message via Yahoo to glngib
I have and have used the small Slime air compressor and the plug kit for fixing a flat. Miniture jumper cables could be handy. Some carry an extra spark plug. Some basic tools. Snack and beverages, tow rope and or winch. Cheap $1 poncho. Toilet paper might be nice. Depending on how far you go, some extra fuel. Bug spray in the summer. Work gloves. Small first aid kit.

2014 Polaris Ranger 570
2011 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO
Polaris front storage compartment (like the 500's)
Polaris 2500 winch
Polaris deluxe brush guard front and rear
Mad Dog 3-way hitch (hitch pin hole interfers with trailer tongue)
Polaris Glacier III snow plow with a rubber wear blade
Polaris rear rack extender
Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #12044
Absolute must:
Tire repair kit - about $40
Tow rope
Lug wrench
Water/drinks/snacks (water can come in VERY handy cleaning out a caked up radiator). Go for a squirt 'sports' bottle as its easier to direct flow and clean the fins.
Cell phone for emergency calls

I always dress in layers, at least three over the late winter/early spring months. Its easier to shed a light jacket and stow it in the cargo box than to underdress and have your body freezing. When the wind hits you at speed (40+mph) it cuts right through you, so always have extra gear along. Since I had been on a sport quad until this year, it was always a challenge fitting all that stuff with no racks. This year is a lot different as I have PLENTY of space to store stuff.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
I'm glad to see someone mentioning two of the most important!! First Aid and Hocky Tickets!!! (Toilet paper) lol

Those new CO2 tire fillers and some plugs. Basic tools, spark plugs, oil filter, nuts and bolts. I also carry a vulcanizing patch kit and tire spoons. Waterless hand cleaner, bug repelant, snake kit and rags.

For cloths a pocket poncho, extra socks and a sweat shirt.

Water and trail mix for food.

Along with tools I carry a good sized (6") fixed blade knife in a case, in one of the boxes. Duct tape, small spool of wire, zip ties are also essentials.

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Last edited by cwlongshot; 03-03-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4155
Some states/locales have requirements for off-road travel. For example, in Idaho a shovel and bucket (or helmet that can be used as a bucket) are required. (Maybe an axe too. I'm not sure, I just live there.) - MarkC
Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #12219
I have the basic tools, 12v compressor, an assortment of nuts and bolts, spare fuses, spark plug, electrical wire, heat shrink, tire plugs, booster cables, bungee cords, folding camp shovel, 12" bow saw, 1st Aid Kit (complete with NATO issue field dressing), electrical tape, lock wire, flashlight, and a one gallon gerry can of gas.

With respect to the gas, I have seldom needed the gas personally, but I have helped out some friends who ride 7 & 800s a couple of times.

A fellow I met on the trail once, had a clever use for his gerry can . . . it was full of mixed caesars. No kidding. His wife was with him along with a couple on another machine. They were enjoying a nice lunch on the trail with caesars.

jeff
Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #1102
Ok I give what are caesars?
Sportsman 90 (for my Granddaughter)
1998 Sportsman 500 4x4
Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Polaris Atvs View Post
Ok I give what are caesars?
+1 Lol. Salad dressing was the first thing to come to mind for me.
3500lb Polaris Winch
Rear Rack Extender w/Moose cargo box (modified)

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #10159
You haven't given us much information like your age, age & condition of your quad, rack capacity of your quad, riding alone or not, your mechanical ability, etc. Since you ride road bikes, you already know how to dress to keep warm, just add the mud and dust factors into that for off road. If you are riding with other quads (always a good idea), you can keep the emergency equipment simple. A tow rope, cell phone, tire plug kit with some way to inflate, toilet paper, gps with extra batteries, perhaps extra gas, first aid kit, food & water. If you are alone, then more repair and emergency equipment would be wise as noted above. It could be a long walk out with so many miles of trails. Getting lost and running out of gas is definately something you want to avoid. Otherwise, have a great time!
1997 Explorer 500 (Traded)
1998 Sport 400. (Sold)
1994 Trailblazer. (Sold)
198? Suzuki Quadsport 230. (Sold)
197? Yamaha YZ225 Three-Wheeler (Traded)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
atv checklist
atv gear list
atv ride checklist

atv riding checklist

atv trail gear

atv trail riding accessories

atv trail riding checklist

atv trail riding equipment

atv trail riding essentials

atv trail riding gear

atv trail riding list

atv trail supplies

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.