Polaris ATV Forum banner

Power steering add on for Sportsman

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  08TouringLE 
#1 ·
ATR had a add on system, but pulled it because of computer problems. I talked with one of the guys at ATR in Tyler, TX several weeks ago and he said they are actively looking for a solution with the computer problems. He said the motor part of the system was adapted from a small automobile and worked fine. I can not find anyone else selling add on power steering for a Sportsman.

Being a "mud rider" doing the slow roll rarely getting over 20mph I have considered adapting my own system and forgetting about the computer control part. Anyone ever attempt to build there own or know of any company selling power steering add on kits?

#2 ·
I too have been interested in aftermarket power steering for my 800 Sportsman. The gentleman at ATR said their units were at least 2 mo.s out. I did recently talk to a parts person at a big Polaris dealership and he said that they had installed a power steering unit on a sportsman h o but they were less than satisfied with the results, especially considering what the cost was. I do not know if this unit was ATR's or another manufacturer.

#4 ·
DaButcher, I certainly will. ATR is going to contact me when their unit is on line. I asked them if their piece was going to come with some good detailed installation instructions and they said yes. They said to figure at least 8 hrs. for the installation so it is definitely not a "plug n play kit."

#5 ·
I have read there instructions. Pretty involved, but there is not much I haven't had apart or rebuilt on my 800 including the engine and transmission. Pretty much unhook the tie rods and take out the existing steering shaft. Run power and ground wires, add a light on the pod that comes on for a few seconds when key is turned on to verify the steering system is good. At least on the older system there were additional wires to be use for "blink code' diagnostics. The 'new' computer system may be a little different, but I wouldn't think by much.

#6 ·
I had also contacted ATR about their unit, but, unfortunately, it wouldn't fit the Model T. I emailed again asking if they had any plans to develop a unit for the Model T, but haven't received a reply. In the mean time, I read this post, so for now, I guess I'll just sit and wait...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.