Polaris ATV Forum banner

Battery Problems

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  blueline15 
#1 ·
My 2003 Sportsman 700's battery is giving me problems. Last night i charged my battery and it read 12.9 volts. 5 mins later it read 12.5. This morning I turned the key so that the speedo would turn on. The battery icon was flashing meaning it was either dead or i should check it. So i got the volt meter out and it read 9.5 volts. Any suggestions.

#3 ·
Just got the battery last year

#5 ·
I would but there was no warranty on it

#7 ·
I'm gonna have to think it froze because thats my only option

#9 ·
Its done then and a new battery costs over a 100 dollars

#10 ·
Yes they do. Sorry. Your battery sounds like it has sufated with that much of a drop and wont be back to serve you anymore. Powersports batteries are expensive because a little unit has to put out a lot of power compared to way oversized car batteries.

Read this thread I wrote, so this will not happen again to you. It will explain everthing you just went through.

>>http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...ance/2725-preventative-battery-maintence.html

You should be getting 4-6 years on average from a battery if you follow the steps in the link above.

#11 ·
thanks blueline i just wish i had known this at the start of winter

#12 ·
I highly recommend the battery tenders at harbor frieght. I bought 3 of the last year for under $25 all together. One each for my atv's and one for my lawn tractor. -0- issues with them, considering they were from HF.

#14 ·
I second Blueline's recommendation on the battery tender. They are worth their weight in gold (or at least the price of having to prematurely replace an expensive battery). I recommend the innovator's product (Deltran). I use it on my boat (3 batteries), and ATV. Stays connected year around. I also have a 6v version for my feeder/utility batteries. Best price I've found is on Amazon.com. It costs enough to make the free shipping option and no sales tax.

I have no direct experience with the product being sold by Harbor Freight. While this is not exactly satellite technology, you get what you pay for. Nevertheless, Jayhkr apparently has been very satisfied using HF's product.

#15 ·
UPDATE: How do i know that the battery is getting charged when riding? What is an easy test to find out if it is the alternator or stator?

#16 ·
Just get a multimeter and set it to read volts. While the machine is ideling, just stick the multimeter prongs on their respective battery terminal. At idle, the meter should be reading around 14.5 volts. If you rev it up, it will probably go a little over 15 volts until it idles back down.

That is a quick and dirty way to check

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.