Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 06:18 AM

Member #7777
Transmission leak/ Removal

So after riding my used 08 800 efi H.O for about 100 miles ,i decided to change all fluids and to my surprise when i remove the transmission drain not a drop of fluid comes out. As soon as i add some polaris transmission fluid it starts leaking pretty bad through the seals at the bottom of the gearcase.

I'm guessing the only way to fix this is to remove the transmission an re-seal it.Has anyone had this happened? Any tips or tutorials on how to remove the transmission?

I was really tempted to JB weld it ,but thinking that wouldn't do a great job for this type of leak.Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Boy that doesn't sound good!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:01 AM

Member #7777
I know, it sucks. The bike only has 600 miles, I'm thinking the previous owner hit the bottom of the case somehow or used some type of oil that damaged the seals I have a feeling that removing the transmission is not fun at all especially getting the rolls pin out. I'm still tempted to patch it from the bottom without removing the transmission and keep on riding.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #5254
Send a message via Skype™ to WilliamBos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indypo View Post
I know, it sucks. The bike only has 600 miles, I'm thinking the previous owner hit the bottom of the case somehow or used some type of oil that damaged the seals I have a feeling that removing the transmission is not fun at all especially getting the rolls pin out. I'm still tempted to patch it from the bottom without removing the transmission and keep on riding.
I would take the time to fix it properly. JB weld is a temporary patch.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk, as if anybody actually gave a sh!t if it was a desktop, laptop, crackberry, I-phone or freakin' morse code or for that matter smoke signals...

Will

2004 GMC 1500CC Z71.

2012 Sportsman 400HO
4,400+kms and counting

Free Service Manuals.
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...s-manuals.html
Old 05-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #7294
I would remove the trans and replace the seals or have someone do it for you.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #13240
yea get it done right man, save you from more problems later on.
5400km 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 Ho, Polaris Hand & Thumb warmers, RotoPax 4 Gallon Fuel Pack, Custom Made Rear Bumper, PowerMadd Hand Guards, Polaris Rear Work Lights, Ricochet Ultimate Armor, Polaris 3500lb Winch, Rear Rack Extender, Polaris Brush Guard, 3 Headlight Mod, Uni Air Filter, EPI 'patv1' primary clutch spring. All up on Interco Swamplites! Maintenance is the key to a never ending happiness

Check out and subscribe to my youtube channel! ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/mudsling...ew=0&flow=grid
Old 05-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1958
I'd clean it (degrease) very good to see exactly where it's leaking from. Your post said "seals" leaking but how would you JB a seal? If it's actually a seal, you can get everything off and out of the way and peel the old one out with a screwdriver or seal puller tool and put a new one in without removing the trans. I had a roll pin back out of the yoke on my 06 800 and rubbed a hole in the case. I thought it was a seal until I got it clean and got in there to replace the seal. The new roll pin I put in lasted about 25 miles and started backing out too. It had broken just like the old one. I replaced it with a grade 8 bolt and nylock nut and have had no problems now for more than 2000 miles.

Oh yeah, I fixed the case by degreasing well and course sanding and then a little ether to prep. Filled the rubbed notch with JB and covered with a small square of metal tape to hold the JB in place till it set up. Like I said above, that was more than 2000 miles ago and you can't even see the repair unless you know where to look.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM

Member #7777
Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
I'd clean it (degrease) very good to see exactly where it's leaking from. Your post said "seals" leaking but how would you JB a seal? If it's actually a seal, you can get everything off and out of the way and peel the old one out with a screwdriver or seal puller tool and put a new one in without removing the trans. I had a roll pin back out of the yoke on my 06 800 and rubbed a hole in the case. I thought it was a seal until I got it clean and got in there to replace the seal. The new roll pin I put in lasted about 25 miles and started backing out too. It had broken just like the old one. I replaced it with a grade 8 bolt and nylock nut and have had no problems now for more than 2000 miles.

Oh yeah, I fixed the case by degreasing well and course sanding and then a little ether to prep. Filled the rubbed notch with JB and covered with a small square of metal tape to hold the JB in place till it set up. Like I said above, that was more than 2000 miles ago and you can't even see the repair unless you know where to look.
Thanks for the advice.I did clean the transmission with some brake cleaner and seems like(looking at the service manual) the leak is coming between the front housing cover and the transmission case where there is suppose to be crankcase sealant. It seems like the only way to re-seal this is to get the transmission out,remove that front housing cover(hopefully there will be no surprises inside from running dry) and apply some crankcase sealant.

I already started to take the bike apart and only have the prop shafts left to remove. I'm having difficulties completely removing the front one from the transmission since the u joint keeps getting stuck under the motor when i try to pull it out and as for the rear one seems like i have to loosen the rear differential and pull it back.I will give it a try again this weekend.Thanks for all the replies.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1958
Yeah, on the rear you just loosen the diff. and move it back a couple inches for clearance. I think that on the front there may be enough extra spline length that you can move it forward on the front diff shaft once the roll pin is out but I'm not sure. If not you may have to loosen the front diff too.
Good luck
Old 05-20-2011, 04:51 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11982
believe you have to take shaft off of front diff first to remove it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
gear box oil leak on polaris 700
how do you remove a transmission from a polaris 702,002
how do you remove the transmission from a 2003 polaris scrambler 500 4x4
how remove the transmission from a 2003 polaris scrambler 500 4x4
how to remove transmission on 09 rzr 800s
polaris razor leaks transmission fluid

polaris rzr transmission removal

polaris sportsman transmission removal
pull the transmission out of a 2009 rzr 800 efi
rzr 800 trans removal

rzr 800 transmission removal

rzr transmission removal
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.