Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 06:07 AM

Member #7777
Squeal/high pitch whine

So while riding through a rough trail with my 08 sportsman 800 for about 15 miles,with 1 mile left to go,the bike starts making this really high pitch gear whine sound. It didn't appear to be loosing power or anything and it would stop once i came to a stop.It didn't matter whether the bike was on 2x4 or 4x4.

Fortunately,I was able to drive back to my truck with no other issues.Once i get home after checking all fluids I test drive it ,the noise is no longer there constantly but there intermittently and when the noise is present if I let go of the gas and and quickly hit it again ,the noise goes away. It only does it in high gear and it won't do it while in park or neutral even if i give it some gas.

Now I can't seem to pinpoint where the noise is coming from ,not sure if it is a wheel bearing,transmission bearing problem or cv. When the wheel bearing or cv go,do you get a high pitch whine noise? Any ideas?Thanks.

Last edited by Indypo; 07-31-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11982
first thing I'd check is the belt
Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #13240
the clutches wine if your moving down a small incline with no throttle applied i believe
5400km 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 Ho, Polaris Hand & Thumb warmers, RotoPax 4 Gallon Fuel Pack, Custom Made Rear Bumper, PowerMadd Hand Guards, Polaris Rear Work Lights, Ricochet Ultimate Armor, Polaris 3500lb Winch, Rear Rack Extender, Polaris Brush Guard, 3 Headlight Mod, Uni Air Filter, EPI 'patv1' primary clutch spring. All up on Interco Swamplites! Maintenance is the key to a never ending happiness

Check out and subscribe to my youtube channel! ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/mudsling...ew=0&flow=grid
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #6734
CVs will not whine. Did you change the gearbox fluid and notice anything wrong? Any hard jolts to the driveline lately? Sometimes dust in the clutch will make a whimsy type of noise but not often.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #9763
The U-joint in the rear prop shaft can go bad and cause a squeeling noise. Check and see if it is solid. If a CV was bad it would pop or click but not whine. Let us know what you find.
29.5 S/W OUTLAWS ON ITP SS312
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV BILLET CAGE IN FRONT DIFF.
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
WELDED LOW GEAR IN TRANSMISSION
QUAD SHOP CUSTOMS CLUTCHING
TRIANGLE ATV STEALTH SNORKLE
TRIANGLE ATV REAR RACK PLATE WITH AMMO CANS
RIDE N'REST BACKREST W/FROSTY BEVERAGE HOLDER
K&N AIR FILTER
PURE POLARIS FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR RACK EXTENDERS
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Member #7777
Thanks for all the replies.It is not a belt problem,already put a new one and same noise.I had some time to put the atv on jack stands yesterday and could not replicate the noise but after a test drive here's the best way to describe the noise:

When our machines slow down or go downhill they tend to make a whining sound when the throttle is released correct?Well when i release the throttle and hear the whining sound and quickly apply throttle the whining still remains and even gets louder until i release the throttle ,reapply and the noise disappears.If i hear the whining sound when i release the throttle and let it quiet down before hitting the gas again , it makes no noise.I am starting to think it could be the one way bearing in the primary clutch causing the whining sound to linger and amplify.Any ideas?

Last edited by Indypo; 08-03-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #17047
Send a message via MSN to mstermechanic907
this sounds like its the one way sprag clutch,i had to replace this clutch for a customer and this fixed him up.let us know if you still need help as there are alot of smart people here on this forum.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1958
Yeah, sounds like the one way clutch to me.
Hey mastermechanic, my 06 800 has squealed some on descents when off throttle since I picked it up a couple years ago. I pretty much knew that's what was doing it and it stops when a little throttle is applied. Question is, do those clutches need periodic dis assembly, cleaning and lube or is that just the nature of the beast? Or....is it just the belt slipping a little and squealing when the EBS is holding back?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:06 AM

Member #7777
Took the belt housing cover off and i noticed when the atv runs in 'park' the secondary spins a lot but does not in gear.After removing the belt, I tried to rotate the one way bearing clockwise and it spins freely but locks counterclockwise.Shouldn't it be the other way around? I also noticed some play with the bearing,maybe it needs trusthwashers.Is this normal?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
2011 polaris ranger belt sound
2011 polaris ranger whine in low range
arctic cat 2000 500 4x4 squeaks when throttle
belt squeaking on a polaris ranger
polaris ranger 700 belt whine

polaris ranger belt noise

polaris ranger gear whine
polaris ranger problems loud high pitch noise
polaris ranger squeaks when driving
polaris sportsman whining noise in gear at idle
rzr belt squeal
why does my 2010 polaris rzr whine when driving
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.