Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 05:43 PM

Member #894
Exclamation 4x4(four wheel drive) goes in and out

My ATV: 1994 Sportsman 400L 4x4 W948040
I have noticed the shift linkage is loose on a lot of Polaris's. When in Low Gear, I am able to slightly move the shifter still back and forth as if there is play from the cup bearing where the handle sub assembly rests. When the Shifter moves just slightly back, while it is still in Low Gear, the AWD light goes out and I have noticed I do lose 4x4 mode in this case. I will ride keeping my foot on the lever depressing it forward to keep the AWD engaged.

My friend's Sportsman 500 4x4 has some play in the shifter as well, but his AWD will keep engaged.

I opened up the casing where the fluid is and replaced the fluid inside. I have not finished this up yet as I have to replace the screws which stripped upon removal.

So, anyone know what the real issue with this is? How would proper fluid in the hubs cause this issue with the shifter? I don't have a working spedo, but I haven't had that working in years. AND NO, that doesn't keep my AWD from Engaging as some speculate for the main issue.

Thanks,

Stephen
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:42 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #2126
If you cannot adjust the linkage and fix the problem then the play in the cup bearing you mention needs to be fixed by replacing it. But there is usually a lot of adjustment availabe in the linkage rods. You did not mention a problem in High or reverse so this furthers my belief it is a linkage adjustment problem. If it was the shift lever cup then the problem would be present in other gears also.
When you say you opened the casing and drained the fluid - what part or item did you open and drain? The front Hubs? Refill them with the proper fluid and seal them with the proper screw. They might have needed a fresh bath of oil but they are not your problem.
And finally YES your 1994 4X4 system doesnot have anything to do with your speedo and has no electrical connections to the speedo. New ones - do old ones don't.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:39 PM

Member #894
The actual Shifter assembly has fluid inside. If you take it apart you will see. I am wondering if the switch is bad. Reverse will work with ov switch engaged for AWD. Neither High, nor Low work though in AWD mode less the Shifter is pressed forward continuously. The problem isn't the linkage need adjustment though.

I put the Shifter assembly back together, but now it only shows the ATV is in neutral. It does shift into high and low, but the neutral light stays on while in those gears. GAH
Old 12-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2326
I had the same problem. The problem is the neutral switch inside the shifter Mine was worn and not switching when in gear. I just bypassed it all together to fix the problem, but your N light will not work but you will have 4x4 any time you need it.You see the power to the 4x4 switch goes through the neutral switch first so if in N your cannot power the 4x4. Why you would need 4x4 in N is stupid anyway..

02 Magnum 500 RMK

If it ain't broke, I can't afford it!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:07 PM

Member #894
Fixed

Actually the issue came from a worn out pivot cup. The white plastic cup inside the gear selector. When replaced everything worked fine. Odd how I couldn't really tell the difference, but I beleive the inside plastic just wore over time making the bowl too wide.

I bought a new switch too, should have started with the cheapest.
Anyone need a good switch, let me know. I'll give ya a good price.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 PM

Member #2907
are you talking about the awd push button switch??
Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 AM

Member #894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcWheeling View Post
are you talking about the awd push button switch??
No, The atv's issue is the Gear Selector. It is what puts you in High, Low, Reverse, Neutral. The Handle. Inside that is the Pivot Cup. There are 4 screws holding it together. Just take them out, watch out as the Spring is very powerful and it can shoot up at ya.

My ATV is running in 3 wheel drive right now though, I need to re-wire my front left hub...the 2 wires. They are so brittle.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 PM

Member #2907
hmmm my front right doent work i wonder if that my problem also i thought the cv was just out of it how can you tell the difference???
Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM

Member #894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcWheeling View Post
hmmm my front right doent work i wonder if that my problem also i thought the cv was just out of it how can you tell the difference???
Well I have already been re-wired before. If you check the wiring, you may find there to be a cut in one of the tiny wires. They are so brittle. I rode mine in the snow today, it did well for 3 wheel drive, but I can get out of control easily when it pulls hard one way.

I am thinking of also using either hose to cover them or SS braided line like we use for our race cars. I would like to replace the entire hub coil, but that will take some time and money.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 AM

Member #2907
i have the 6x6 so i have 5 wheels pulling and i's a blast in the snow

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Tags
4x4, awd, four wheel drive, linkage, shifter

Search tags for this page
1994 400 polaris atv wont go into gear#gsc.tab

1994 polaris 400l can only get 4x4 by pushing shift lever forward

1995 polaris demand drive work hotwire bypas
1999 sportsman goes in and out of 4x4
4 wheeldrive dont work on 330 polaris
how to keep my polaris sportsman 700 from being on demand 4x4

my polaris keeps shifting to all wheel drive

polaris 300 4x4 2 stroke wont shift out of all wheel drive
polaris automatic gorles how to shift into four wheel drive
polaris electric 4x4 fix wheel drive reverse
utube 4wheel drive wont kick in on my 4 wheeler

what causes my polaris sportsman 500 to shirt into four wheel drive by it self

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.