Polaris ATV Forum banner

04 Polaris Sportsman 700- Battery cable melted battery??

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  clarksofky 
#1 ·
Ok, this is the second time in two months. First time it happened, I had just trailered my 700 and needed to restart it. Would not restart and when I checked the battery the positive cable had melted off the battery.

Replaced started solenoid,battery, and the positive cable. Everything was fine. Did a few small rides and no problems. Took it to Polaris for a TSB and asked them to check the electrical while it was there. They only saw that the fan switch needed replaced( it quit working on a ride and we had to override it). Paid to replace the switch.

Now, Hubby took the 700 on a ride this weekend and it melted the cable again!!This time he was using the winch when it happened.
Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking or have had this problem??? Hate to pay Polaris again when the did not see a problem just last week!!

#3 ·
Looks like it's been a while since you posted this question. I haven't logged in for a while.

I have an '04 700 and have found that Warn has a recall on the relay that controls the winch. Mine was installed at the dealer. Your problem was one of the symptoms, the worst outcome being a fire. I emailed them from their website and they sent me a new relay, no questions asked. The relay is found in the back under the left side of the rack.

--C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.