Polaris ATV Forum banner

2004 700, 4WD engages by itself

11K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lost cause 
#1 ·
Howdy, tonight while playing around in wet soil and grass, my front wheels kept locking in without the switch being activated. Spinning slow,all was well, but at higher speed power slides the front wheels would engage.

any ideas?

Thanks, Troy

#3 ·
Or the plate is staying magnitized. Been there. Some dealers say that it is normal, well its not, and some say its do to doing dounuts or jumping or doing wheelies. As long as its in 2 wheel it should never kick in 4 wheel, and another one is to much fluid in the front diff. I talked to a guy from Hilliard that makes the diffs and he said none of these thing will cause problems

#4 ·
drain your fluid in the front diff and put the proper polaris oil in there. Anything other than the polaris fluid, dirty fluid, or to little/too much fluid all will cause these issues. If that doesn't work then you need to look at your armature plate to see if it is warped. They are only like $30 from superatv. Lastly, you have a cracked or broken sprague cage. There is a post on here about john deer parts that work for these diffs., or you can go superatv for that as well. They make an aluminum one to replace the plastic one and you will never break it again.

#5 ·
you have a cracked or broken sprague cage. There is a post on here about john deer parts that work for these diffs., or you can go superatv for that as well. They make an aluminum one to replace the plastic one and you will never break it again.

Thats what i am talking about.

do you have a link for the Aluminum one?

Mine has broke 15 times. Thank god i got the 5 year plan. You should see the stack of repair orders and the amount of money warrenty has paid out. now that my 5 year plan is up i just ride it broke.

LOL...This is funny.. the one time i took it in to get fixed. so they fix it and give me a hard time cause this is like the 5th time it broke. So we have some words and i drive it out to my trailer as they come out and watch me load it up. I turn hard left to go on the trailer and it breaks right there in there parking lot. so they take it back in, My wife and I go to get dinner and they call me to come back and get it. They put another new dif in it in like 2hr. After that , they never said another word when i took it in to get fixed.

#6 ·
I was about to post the link for you but i just noticed that you have a 2004 700 and the aluminum cage from superatv fits 06 and up. Maybe you can give them a call and ask if they started making one or if the 06 will fit. If not, it looks like your stuck with the plastic one. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.