Polaris ATV Forum banner

4 wheel drive not working

96K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Ringo72084 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 polaris sportsman 700 that i just bought. The 4 wheel drive is not engaging when i try to put it in. Any ideas why it is not working would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Try changing the front diff. fluid!! In fact i would change all the fluids & oil, oil filter.

#8 ·
He is right. The speedo pod is the brain for the awd. A real good possability thats why no awd!!!

#9 ·
you may have to shell out the cash for a new speedo.

i recently got a 02 with a non working speedo as well with no awd. there is a really easy work around if you dont care about the speedo and just want the awd. But, though it will give you AWD, it bypasses some of the safety features put in place for the for it. mine had a wide range of issues to boot so i wasnt going to stress about it.

Im pretty sure this should work for your year model. If you look at the wiring harness that comes out of the AWD switch and runs along the handle there are 2 wires your looking for. One is brown, the other brown with white stripe. if you connect these together your awd will start working again without the speedo. i would test it out before doing any thing permanent. put it on jack stands with all wheels off the ground to test and make sure it will wirk before you start stripping wires.

#10 ·
Sorry to steal the thread but didnt want to start a new thread. My awd works half the time. My gauge cluster works but the speedo doesnt. Could this be what is causing it. I also am having a problem with loosing power to my headlights and cluster any ideas what this might be.

#11 ·
First thing to do is clean and check all you connections, after that if the speedo still is not working, chances are you need a new speedo.

#13 ·
I have found that my AWD is intermittant. One of the issues is that the starter switch (red button) does not make a good connection. There are a few things going on with the starter switch cluster. If the switch isn't just right, then the contact is not made, and a few things don't work. The cooling fan, head light, and AWD are all in the same group. If you have issues with one of these, you probably have issues with all three. Taking the starter switch apart isn't all that difficult, but there are a couple of small steel balls and springs that are diying to get free. When you take it apart, be ready for them to go.
Another think to keep in mind is that the AWD indicator (red light) will light up if the AWD coils are getting power.
I jacked up the ATV and put 12volt to the coils thru the connector and they worked perfect. you should start by jacking it up and testing your hubs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.