Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #21246
What should I buy?!

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked countless times on this forum. I'm new to ATV's and even Motorsports all together. I recently visited my brother in-law in Kentucky and I got the opportunity to spend a few days toying around on his 2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. Let's just say I had the time of my life... Now I'm in the market for a 2012 Big Bore. I have been to about 10 dealerships and took a look at all of the major brand ATV's out there. I obviously stared with a Polaris dealer, but I am not completely positive that the 2012 800 EFI is the best bang for my buck. A local dealer offered me a $500 discount off MSRP ($7500) with basically no interest. I also found a 2012 Brute Force 750 for $7000. Anyway, getting back to the brands. I'm looking for RELIABILITY and obviously performance. I have considered the Can Am Outlander 800 (Too much money), Arctic Cat 700, Yamaha Grizzly 700 (Not very impressed with their statistics), Kawasaki Brute Force 750 (Top of my list), and the Polaris 800 EFI (Also, top of my list). Please help me decide on which machine will best fit my needs. Oh, yeah, "MY NEEDS". I am honestly just going to be driving on Maine/New Hampshire trails. Little to no mudding and some mild rock climbing.

Please don't be bias and loyal to what you're riding. I really don't wanna make a $7000 mistake. Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #13773
I was in the same boat you are in. I was new to ATV's and power sports so I had to research on the net and talk to the guys I know the own or have own ATV'S...Can-am was my first choice but it really bothered me that they are a Canadian company and selling there products cheaper to the Americans then there own country man....
next choice was Polaris I like the fact I could buy a North American product and contribute to the economy instead of sending my money to a rice eating country.

For me I was lucky to have a few friends with different brands of ATV'S to test drive first...
Suzuki king quad<----nice ride but felt weak and cushy
Yamaha grizzly<-----felt very tippy and you have to constantly stop and drain water from the clutch when mudding....(big time pain in the ass)
and a Polaris 500<---small ATV but it was very aggressive.. artic cat was not an option, and can-am was WAY to expensive.And I never looked at Kawasaki...

No one had anything bad to say about Polaris so I was kinda set on the 550 before I went to the dealership to buy...I drove it for like 5 minutes and bought it...it just felt more stable then the other brands and looked the best hands down..I think the XP line is the nicest looking ATV on the market and the most aggressive one I have drove yet.

Almost 1000 hard km and no serious problems.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #21246
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizmo View Post
I was in the same boat you are in. I was new to ATV's and power sports so I had to research on the net and talk to the guys I know the own or have own ATV'S...Can-am was my first choice but it really bothered me that they are a Canadian company and selling there products cheaper to the Americans then there own country man....
next choice was Polaris I like the fact I could buy a North American product and contribute to the economy instead of sending my money to a rice eating country.

For me I was lucky to have a few friends with different brands of ATV'S to test drive first...
Suzuki king quad<----nice ride but felt weak and cushy
Yamaha grizzly<-----felt very tippy and you have to constantly stop and drain water from the clutch when mudding....(big time pain in the ass)
and a Polaris 500<---small ATV but it was very aggressive.. artic cat was not an option, and can-am was WAY to expensive.And I never looked at Kawasaki...

No one had anything bad to say about Polaris so I was kinda set on the 550 before I went to the dealership to buy...I drove it for like 5 minutes and bought it...it just felt more stable then the other brands and looked the best hands down..I think the XP line is the nicest looking ATV on the market and the most aggressive one I have drove yet.

Almost 1000 hard km and no serious problems.
Good to know, thanks man! Appreciate the info...
Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #13773
If you like big bore ATV'S....look hard at the 850 XP.....
Old 12-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Can you ride a demo of these machines? Some dealers might have a demo that you would be able to take and actually ride. Not only did I put a few years of work in the industry, I've ridden almost everything from every manufacture.

So it sounds like your looking at the Pol 800 and the Brute Force 750? These are my thoughts.

Pol 800 is a pretty solid reliable machine. Nothing mechanical has changed on this machine since 2005, only cosmetic changes.This also means that the technology is 7 years old not. It still has the MacPherson strut front suspension, which isnt flawed, but it is a really outdated suspension system for offroad machines. Also, the 800 is know to be a gas guzzler. Other then that, it really is a solid platform, has pretty good power, and will go just about anywhere. This motor is a parallel twin set-up.

The Kawi 750 Brute Force is also a twin, but the motor configuration is a V-twin. I would say that the Brute Force has more acceleration off of the get go. It really moves, and will wheelie much easier then the Pol 800 will. People either like that hard hitting power, or the hate it, thats a personal choice you must make. I can't speak too much on fuel consumption, although I'm pretty confident its on part with what the Pol 800's is. Im also not sure what the gas tank sizes are, but that would give you and idea which machine has the better range. However, the downfall in my opinion of the brute 750 is that there is a lot of flex in the frame and the machine is kinda "soft". Meaning, over rocks or rough terrain, the machine starts bucking you around, and it gets hard to control where you are going. Its pretty good on hard pack, but it isn't smooth over tough terrain. That was my biggest complaint, you are kinda at the mercy of the machine the way it handles the rough stuff. The Pol 800 does a better job of remaining firm and smooth through the rougher stuff.

Let talk 4x4 systems real fast, and you can decide which on you like best. The Pol 800 is a selectable, automatic 4x4 (true and locked in) system. It's one switch, and you either select it on or off. When its on, it activates the front wheels after the rear wheels slip 1/5 of one wheel revolution. Its stays unlocked as much as it can so the steering takes less effort, but kicks in and out as it senses it needs the traction. What this means for the rider is that you never notice the machine going in and out of 4x4 mode, except for it just gets you through the slick and rough stuff. The Kawi is the more traditional limited slip diff. When you put in 4x4 mode on the kawi, you'll actually have 3wd. This is to give you extra traction, but keep steering effort down. If you need all 4 wheels in, it takes one extra step on the handlebar to lock in the front wheels, now you'll have true 4x4 like the polaris, but it'll feel like driving a tank where there is plenty of traction if you dont take it back out of its locked in 4x4 mode. Thats the differences on the 4x4 systems. Some like the control the Kawi gives you, however, just about everybody I have talked to, including myself feels that the Pol automatic 4x4 works so well that there is no problem having the machine put itself into and out of 4x4 mode.

Im going to throw one more wrench in this mix. If your looking at the Pol 800, at least look at the 550XP too. Its going to actually feel like it has similar power to the Pol 800. It will be lacking that take off speed, but midrange acceleration and top speed will be on par with the 800, and its still no slouch in the acceleration department even though its only a single. The gas mileage will be better, and has the same automatic, selectable 4x4 system as the Pol 800, the seat is much narrower so its easier to grip with your legs for aggressive areas, and and it has double a-arm front suspension so its chassis and suspension is so much better and more refined then either the Pol 800 or the Brute Force 750, in my opinion. And the 850XP is a whole 'nother beast
Old 12-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19703
well i had the chance to ride many of my friends atvs here and there, and honestly.... ill just go around telling you what i felt about each brand:
-suzuki, well.... its OK.... looks good, reliable, good 4x4 and so on. my friend has one and it barely drinks and gas at all. but the downside is... i never really felt any power present. plus spec wise... it looks erm... weak.... suspension wise...

- honda: ahhh my friends favorites and that are absolutly biased on it.... well... the plus is its fun to ride, and the ones you can "shift" add more fun to it, for mud its bad, but for rock crawling, and trails its good and fun, but i guess its an inconvience as im sure its going to get tiering....switching there and back for something like plowing. the ugly? well its REALLY rough imho, underspeced, and overpriced for something that has old technologie.

- Yamaha: well.... same as suzuki but abit better, honestly, i think it has to be the best japanese atv. more comfortable, good power wise and so on. the bad? well on my friends yamahas they dont have hitches and so on, and imho looks uncomfortable to sit on. i guess its more trail than work.

- kawasaki: well..... what can i say? its fast, looks good, reliable, comparable to the yamaha. it has the best specs out of all the japs. atvs but all that comes at a price, i mean here a good kawa is almost as 2 500's polarises. the ride is good, and so on... no inconvients here really except the price.... i guess if you want something in this style than go for it. its actually good for work and play.

now on to the american atvs.

- can am... well... not for work at all, but mostly for play. style, quality and handling is amazing... down sides are the visco lock that will be horrible in rock crawling.

- arctic cat: well it has style.... i DONT find it reliable but some people do, but the 700 doesnt surprise..... only the 1000 does but its still underpowered compared to other atvs. and i find them tall, so im always afraid to flip it over when playing. but for work its acceptable.

-polaris. now i own 2 which should already hint to something... its AMAZING for work and play. amazing 4x4 and good quality. it has the looks, it has the power. all its really missing is you
lock and ride is a good touch up. but imho it has to be the best built atv, and the toughest, the hardest working, and for sure has the smoothest ride.

now quality wise...... every brand is comparable if its a known brand atv.

looking at what you can get the 800 has to be the best bang for your buck really.

if i had the choice to get what your choices are... id go
-800 polaris in first. its the best overall. (9.1/10 imho)
-750 brute in second, its good but has some down sides.(8.7/10 , because its overprices imho)
-yamaha (any engine i guess) or a can am (600 for the same price range i guess.) both get a 7.5/10 because of lacks of versatility.
-suzuki its really close to yamaha.... and im pretty sure its less expensive, so if you are considering the yam. then look at the zuki too 7.49/10
-honda... old technologie, nough said. 5-6.1/10 depending on model.
-arctic cat... well id highly NOT recomend it unless you want something reliable but thats only for work because for play... its missing the fun factor of the atv... ranks about 5/10

if i compare things to a car , it might help you understand what i mean.
(honda, yam, suzuki) are the equivalent of a honda civic but 4x4. i guess they are fun but.... your going to look like every other guy. not infront but not in the back... who knows. maybe youll get stuck allong the way and just leave it there.

kawasaki well... cant really find a car for it .. but the best would be something like a honda ridgeline... its a good mix between an suv and a truck but i mean common... its NEITHER..... looks good , but looks are expensive these days...

can am erm... i guess something like a subaru or nissan gtr... you may be the fastest, you may be the new cool kid. but throw something in technical and i mean common, whos seen a gtr in mud? even with AWD it wont go very far..

polaris it has to be a pickup, its offroad compatible, it can work and still be fun. maybe your the heavyest here but atleast you are cruising im comfort.

arctic cat..... i guess it would be a tractor......... sure MAYBE you have the power, weight and some other weird advantage over the rest, sure its going to look like a nice tractor but i mean comon.. how embarassing is it to ride a tractor down a trail....

hope i helped... pm me if you want more details....... or any other info
-tool grips
-VIP air windshield
-safety flag (polaris)
-Glacier II plow system
-polaris front spring adjusters
-front hitch
-1700KM

2010 850 XP EPS
- 2500# polaris winch
- front and rear deluxe brush guards
- VIP air windshield
- Lock & Ride Wes seat from TheAtvSuperStore
-498KM
Old 12-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #13773
arctic cat is = a tractor...LMAO!..

That's funny shit.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #21246
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
Can you ride a demo of these machines? Some dealers might have a demo that you would be able to take and actually ride. Not only did I put a few years of work in the industry, I've ridden almost everything from every manufacture.

So it sounds like your looking at the Pol 800 and the Brute Force 750? These are my thoughts.

Pol 800 is a pretty solid reliable machine. Nothing mechanical has changed on this machine since 2005, only cosmetic changes.This also means that the technology is 7 years old not. It still has the MacPherson strut front suspension, which isnt flawed, but it is a really outdated suspension system for offroad machines. Also, the 800 is know to be a gas guzzler. Other then that, it really is a solid platform, has pretty good power, and will go just about anywhere. This motor is a parallel twin set-up.

The Kawi 750 Brute Force is also a twin, but the motor configuration is a V-twin. I would say that the Brute Force has more acceleration off of the get go. It really moves, and will wheelie much easier then the Pol 800 will. People either like that hard hitting power, or the hate it, thats a personal choice you must make. I can't speak too much on fuel consumption, although I'm pretty confident its on part with what the Pol 800's is. Im also not sure what the gas tank sizes are, but that would give you and idea which machine has the better range. However, the downfall in my opinion of the brute 750 is that there is a lot of flex in the frame and the machine is kinda "soft". Meaning, over rocks or rough terrain, the machine starts bucking you around, and it gets hard to control where you are going. Its pretty good on hard pack, but it isn't smooth over tough terrain. That was my biggest complaint, you are kinda at the mercy of the machine the way it handles the rough stuff. The Pol 800 does a better job of remaining firm and smooth through the rougher stuff.

Let talk 4x4 systems real fast, and you can decide which on you like best. The Pol 800 is a selectable, automatic 4x4 (true and locked in) system. It's one switch, and you either select it on or off. When its on, it activates the front wheels after the rear wheels slip 1/5 of one wheel revolution. Its stays unlocked as much as it can so the steering takes less effort, but kicks in and out as it senses it needs the traction. What this means for the rider is that you never notice the machine going in and out of 4x4 mode, except for it just gets you through the slick and rough stuff. The Kawi is the more traditional limited slip diff. When you put in 4x4 mode on the kawi, you'll actually have 3wd. This is to give you extra traction, but keep steering effort down. If you need all 4 wheels in, it takes one extra step on the handlebar to lock in the front wheels, now you'll have true 4x4 like the polaris, but it'll feel like driving a tank where there is plenty of traction if you dont take it back out of its locked in 4x4 mode. Thats the differences on the 4x4 systems. Some like the control the Kawi gives you, however, just about everybody I have talked to, including myself feels that the Pol automatic 4x4 works so well that there is no problem having the machine put itself into and out of 4x4 mode.

Im going to throw one more wrench in this mix. If your looking at the Pol 800, at least look at the 550XP too. Its going to actually feel like it has similar power to the Pol 800. It will be lacking that take off speed, but midrange acceleration and top speed will be on par with the 800, and its still no slouch in the acceleration department even though its only a single. The gas mileage will be better, and has the same automatic, selectable 4x4 system as the Pol 800, the seat is much narrower so its easier to grip with your legs for aggressive areas, and and it has double a-arm front suspension so its chassis and suspension is so much better and more refined then either the Pol 800 or the Brute Force 750, in my opinion. And the 850XP is a whole 'nother beast
I've heard that the Polaris motor is 'loud and run on high RPM's'; this concerns me as I am hoping to keep this thing for as long as I can... Is this a known trait or just a rumor? Also, is the 850 quieter than the 800 if this trait is accurate?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan514 View Post
Quote:

I've heard that the Polaris motor is 'loud and run on high RPM's'; this concerns me as I am hoping to keep this thing for as long as I can... Is this a known trait or just a rumor? Also, is the 850 quieter than the 800 if this trait is accurate?
Not any louder or different then any of the other machines I've ridden. They all have their unique traits and sounds. However they are all pretty much the same.

Let me guess, somebody who told you this was trying to persuade you to a different machine?

There's nothing to be concerned with here. Maintain it properly, and it'll outlast you. I've seen sportsmans with 10,000 plus miles on them and they still run strong as ever with no major repairs in their life, no smoking, no funny noises. Just owners who did proper maintenance.

And it takes a really really long time or a lot of daily riding to get to 10,000 miles on an offroad machine. One of the 10,000 mile sportsmans I've seen were farm machines. They are used 24 hours a day, 7 days by their work crews that rotates 8 hour shifts. The machines never stop. That machine was bumping up on 15,000 miles and I cant even tell you how many run hours it had.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #21246
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan514 View Post
Quote:

Not any louder or different then any of the other machines I've ridden. They all have their unique traits and sounds. However they are all pretty much the same.

Let me guess, somebody who told you this was trying to persuade you to a different machine?

There's nothing to be concerned with here. Maintain it properly, and it'll outlast you. I've seen sportsmans with 10,000 plus miles on them and they still run strong as ever with no major repairs in their life, no smoking, no funny noises. Just owners who did proper maintenance.

And it takes a really really long time or a lot of daily riding to get to 10,000 miles on an offroad machine. One of the 10,000 mile sportsmans I've seen were farm machines. They are used 24 hours a day, 7 days by their work crews that rotates 8 hour shifts. The machines never stop. That machine was bumping up on 15,000 miles and I cant even tell you how many run hours it had.
Sweet, I'm sold, bro. I'm not sure what a 'super moderator' is, but I'm sure it means you know what you're talking about when it comes to ATV's. I'm gonna trust you and just make the move. TY

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
buying demo model atv
how much of a discount should i get buying a new polaris ranger
shoul i buy - 2013 polaris ranger 800 or artic cat 700 hdx?

should i buy a polaris sportsman

should i buy a polaris sportsman?
should i buy a yamaha or polaris atv
should i buy polaris 800 efi ranger or polaris 500 efi ranger
sportman 800 better than 2012 brute force
what atv should i buy?

what polaris should i buy

what should i buy polaris or suzuki
which polaris ranger shoud i buy
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.