Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 05:13 AM

Member #20904
HELP Please: 500 will not start

Hello again to all. I have an 03 500 sportsman ho and it will not start. After a new ignition coil, stator & pickup coil, and new cdi box, I still cannot get my machine to deliver a spark to the plug. I have checked the fuses/breakers in the pouches under the hood and they check fine. I am at a loss please help if you know what else i haven't checked. After reading many other posts I have unhooked the kill circuit and the speedo assembly but it didn't help. If I can't get her going shortly I will have some premium parts for an 03 because it only has 48 hrs on it total and about 5 mins on the new top end.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6699
Since you know that you don't have spark I assume your starter is working which means that your kill switch circuit is not a problem. In times like this it is crucial that you have a good wiring diagram to trace down the problem. Have you checked the stator? Polaris uses the pull handle as a plug to keep out dirt. Sometimes water and mud can get in there during water crossings and cause grounding problems. Many times you can just clean the stator and re-install. Since I don't know your specific model that's about all I can offer, good luck and keep us posted so others can benefit from your diagnoses
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 AM

Member #20904
2003 500HO spark left town

I have a wiring diagram in the service manual I bought, but the stator and pick up coil are both new from Ricky Stator. I contacted him and he told me to check the red and black/red wires while turning the engine over and my meter should read 20 to 30 volts. Gonna go home and try this. I have been using the starter but I think I am going to try the pull rope this time. I did clean a lot of junk out of the inside where the stator is but I have no ride time since replacing it so I know there is nothing in there...yet. I will keep posting until I find it. haven't had one whup me yet and this one ain't either. Good luck to the others who are having similar problems. i read all your posts so when you find the problem let us know, I might learn something.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:23 AM

Member #20904
Coil Gap

Ok folks I have found my problem. Little did I know the pickup coil and flywheel need to be very close together. after a call to a friend and speaking with an old shcool mechanic I went home took the pickup coil loose (had to notch the holes and grind the bracket to make it work) and set the gap with a dollar bill. The thickness of a dollar folded in half is perfect because I tightened the you know what out of it and it works fine now. Cranks every time you hit the switch. I folded the dollar in half so after it was tight I could slide it between the coil and flywheel unfolded. My coil was too far away from the flywheel and not picking up the signal when the magnet on the flywheel passed. Many of you may know this already but after a couple of months of not knowing it and finding it out I sure was a happy sole.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6699
Awesome, I'm glad it worked out. Those are the kinds of problems that can make you pull your hair out if you don't know. But now you know and next time you service your stator/coil you will be able to properly setup the gap. This also goes for small engines (like briggs etc..)
Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM

Member #24582
im wondering if my bike has the same problem. i replaced the pickup and it ran awsome but a dog came out of my pull cord and smashed the casing and broke it. i fixed it and no spark. if i mess with the switch while i push the starter button it will fire and run great so i replaced the switch and same problem. i can turn switch on and off and get it to run but idk whats going on here. im about to pull my hair out lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page

how do i bypass the kill switch on a polaris predator

how do you test kill switch on polaris predator

how to test a 2000 polaris 500 pick up coil

my polaris predator 500 wont start i just changed the stator, ignition coil and cdi box

pickup coil for 06 polaris outlaw
polaris 500 ho ignition pickup test

polaris 500 pick up coil ignition box or stator

polaris outlaw 500 stator problems

polaris sportsman 500 will not start

polaris will not start

testing the stator on a predator 500

trouble starting polaris sportsman 500 after not riding it for 8 months

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.