Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:34 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #21790
Unhappy Polaris "Lock & Ride" Windshields

Did any of you buy the Polaris "Lock and Ride" clamp on windshield for their X2 or Touring? If so, did you find it awkward to install with those clamps having to move all the wiring and cables out of the way? I wasn't impressed with their quick install design.
---
I installed it but I think it's easier to take on and off by just removing the two pivot bolts on the arms. Otherwise you end up messing with all the wiring and cables. I also have the winch control on the left handlebar which added another wire.
---
The overall quality is great but when they claim 15 second install they must have forgot the effort it takes to cut all the plastic cable ties, stretch out the wires and cables, fumble with the adjustable clamps, lock it on and then reposition the wires, cables and reinstall the new plastic cable ties and trim them.
---
I get frustrated real quick.
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 PM

Member #20894
Polaris Windshield

I installed one of the Polaris windshields on a 2011 Touring 850 recently.

You are right, it was awkward the first time I installed it and it took longer to install it than the brochures claimed it would. I was concerned about damaging the wires the first time.

After it had been on a week or two, I removed it as I was making some other changes and when I put it back on the quad, it was much easier. I guess I knew I was not going to hurt the wiring.

Overall, I am pleased with the quality of the windshield and the mounting system seems sturdy and I don't anticipate any problems.

I would recommend it if asked.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #18732
I have an 850 x2 and have the short shield. I removed all the zip ties and retied the after putting the shield on. This way it somewhat removes easier. Just something to try.

2011 850 X2:
Glacier III Plow
Polaris 2500 Winch
Polaris Rear View Mirrors
Polaris Hand Guards
Polaris Black Short Windshield
Symtech 4 Ch. Heated Grips
Promark ATV Tow Kit.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #14149
haha I put all the bumpers and brush gards and boxes on my dads 850 and I think the hardest thing to put on was the windshield it made me fell like a dumb ass

Polaris "Lock & Ride" Windshields-p6050195.jpg
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #16252
I have the low windshield on my X2, If I wanted to take it off, I would have to cut all the zip ties off of the handlebars. I agree its not really a 15 second install, especially with my heated grips, winch and power pivot control wiring.
Mine- 2011 Sportsman X2 550 With EPS!!-Mile Marker 2500lb Winch, Guru Brush Guard, 3000K HID's, PIAA Driving Lights, Autometer Phantom Oil Temperature, Coolant Temperature, and Voltmeter Gauges, Polaris Low Lock and Ride windshield, Acerbis Handguards, Symtec Heated Grips and Thumb warmer, 2+2 gallon Rotopax Fuel packs, Warn 60" Provantage Plow w/ Power Pivot

Hers- 2000 Magnum 325 2x4-Symtec Heated Grips and Thumb warmer, Oil Pressure gauge, working on a few other goodies

Click here to learn how to add EPS to an XP!!! ---> http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...eering-x2.html
Old 01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE1987 View Post
I have the low windshield on my X2, If I wanted to take it off, I would have to cut all the zip ties off of the handlebars. I agree its not really a 15 second install, especially with my heated grips, winch and power pivot control wiring.
---
Yeah, I agree. Now if I want to remove it, I just take it off with the two bolts on the arms, maybe a minute or so involved. I'm happy!!!
---
It just seems like they should have designed it with a fixed clamp on the bars and had the "lever clamps' nearer the windshield where they were easier to access. Just my 2 cents.
---
I have the 850 X2 with the Lock and Ride enclosed box on the front and I really like the way it installs and removes. It makes getting to the battery and coolant refill point a breeze. Just thought they dropped the ball with the windshield mounts.
---
Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19920
mounts are solid, but longer install than they say/ first ride with it yesterday/ it was real cold and snowing back in the hills/ I didn't get cold/ blocks that cold air very nicely. only in the way if turning very sharp.
Warn RT25 winch
Polaris fender bags
2008 Sportsman 400 HO - Wife's Ride (red)
Polaris front brush guard
2010 Arctic Cat 90 (my sons)
Old 01-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Member #21218
I have installed the foctory windshield on my X2,I leave the arms on the bars and use wing nuts on the bolts to on and off the windshield.At the very least the height of the shield is usually the same.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm60 View Post
I have installed the foctory windshield on my X2,I leave the arms on the bars and use wing nuts on the bolts to on and off the windshield.At the very least the height of the shield is usually the same.
Update ---> I went to the Home Depot and found 2 of the plastic knobs they use on push lawnmower handles to fold them when transporting. These knobs have SAE 5/16's threads. I also picked up 2 -- 5/16 x 1.25" bolts. I removed the metric bolts with the nylock nuts on the arms. I replaced the nylock metrics stuff with the plastic knobs and SAE bolts
--
Now I can install and remove the windshield at the arms without any tools. The knobs are very close to the headlight pod but dont hit it, you have to insert the 1.25 bolts and start the knob letting it pull the bolt through. It's easy enough and I don't need a wrench to take the windshield on and off.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19920
good idea/ future project
Warn RT25 winch
Polaris fender bags
2008 Sportsman 400 HO - Wife's Ride (red)
Polaris front brush guard
2010 Arctic Cat 90 (my sons)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page

how to install polaris lock and ride windshield

how to install windshield on polaris ranger
installing a polaris lock and ride windshield
lock and ride polaris windshield
lock and ride windshield

polaris atv windshield

polaris lock and ride windshield

polaris ranger 900 crew lock and ride windshield making a noise
polaris sportsman lock and ride windshield
polaris sportsman windshield
taking a lock n ride windshield out
? sportsman mid lock & ride windshield, green screen polaris dimensions
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.