Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #11351
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by factionfx View Post
Thanks for all the kind words and advice guys. I think the setup would be fine if we weighed 300 lbs total. Good idea on the wheel spacers.

I would ultimately like to have a RZR S but I don't have available options for storing or towing that.

I'm debating buying a nice used 500 Touring. The possibility of either of us getting hurt is reduced with that extra 5-10 inches of wheelbase. And I do have about $500 in the seat and foot pegs.
The touring would give you 9" more wheel base. It is unbelieveable what a difference that makes. Like on the X2, not only is the wheel base stretched out, but the springs and shocks are located behind the a-arms on the rear instead of in front, which also helps in load carrying stability. Very difficult to get the front end off the ground, even when trying. My wife rode on the back of our X2 for nearly 2 years and only got off if something looked too scary to her. I don't know that she actually ever really needed to get off for the sake of safety.
It is good to hear that at least you have thought about the hazzards of two up riding on a single machine and have tried to reduce those. So many people never give it a thought, and often it turns out badly.
Totally agree, if your riding with a passenger a 2 up is the only way to go. Huge difference in stability and ride comfort.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #30641
just my opinion and experience... I have a "12" sportsman 500, I put a wes 2x seat on the back of it with the foot pegs from theatvsuperstore.com (great site) anyway, I put the second seat on to bring my son along, he's only 60lb and I'm 200lbs. I'm very cautious when he's on the back with me but never do I feel it's unsafe for him. however so, my point is there are time that my GF will get on and ride instead of driving her RZR (no doubt the RZR has some weak springs, we also put on the racertech 2" lift and will be puting on HD springs... doesn't handle two grown men riding it, guess that's why we bought it for the ladies) back to the subject, my GF and I are under around 350lbs, believe polaris state the payload capacity is 450lbs w/180lb rider. 180 on the rear rack and 90 on the front. the 500 has all the power you need but it's really not meant to push around 400 plus pounds all the time. if you are going to use a 500 as a 2up vehicle, then my suggestion is to add the HD springs but also put in a better clutch kit and keep it maintained more often then recommended I think you'll wear it out fast and the money you didn't spend for the 2x you'll be spending on fixing it, bushings, bearings, brakes, etc... As far as being stable the bike is a pretty stable vehicle and if you roll it or bring the front end over you are doing something you shouldn't be doing in the first place. As always drive safe specially when your cargo is priceless!

by they way, any one get the new fender flares from Thor? how are they, do you like them? they look awesome...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page

2 up seat for polaris sportsman

2000 sportsman second seat
2013 sportsman 500 2up
polaris 2 up safety forum
polaris 500 2 seater
polaris 500 sportsman designed for two riders
polaris sportsman 2 up

polaris sportsman 2 up seat

polaris sportsman 500 2 up seat

polaris sportsman 500 pics
polaris sportsman 500- 2 person
riding double on a polaris sportsman 500
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.