Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENOBADBOY View Post
I've had dirt bikes that vibrated so bad they'd do this. So I just went out and bought longer tubes and ran them higher than the vents and back down. Hurt nothing and stopped the dribbles.
Don't know that I'd try this. If you raise the tubes, the bowl can't drain off excess and you run the risk of it overflowing the bowl and running directly into the intake manifold or back into the airbox.

If I had this problem, I bet I could solve it with a neoprene needle and seat, and lowering the float level a bit. - MarkC
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 PM

Member #30803
Polaris 500 gas leak from carb

My 04 500 HO leaks gas from the underside of carb. On the underside of the carb is a valved steal outlet. It appears a hose could be connected to it but the outlet does not have a flange on it to connect a small diameter hose. The outlet has a hex head screw connected. If I loosen the screw, the gas exits at a small stream; but if I tighten it, it will stop for a while then drip again. I have not been able to find a diagram from the shop manual that identifies the outlet. I am able to stop the drip by turning off the gas supply when not using the atv.

Does anyone have any ideas to resolve the problem. is it as siple as replacing the hex screw that seats above the outlet
Old 10-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4155
The outlet you describe sounds like the float bowl drain. These should have a nipple with a hose attached that drains to the ground under the machine. Usually there's a plastic "vacuum break" at the end of the hose that allows one-way (out) flow. This prevents water from getting into the carb if you should get in that deep.

The bowl drain serves two purposes. First, loosening the screw drains the bowl as you describe. This is commonly done for off season storage or before disassembly. Second, the bowl has a standpipe that's the maximum height the fuel level in the bowl should never exceed. If the fuel level ever exceeds this, it flows into the pipe and drains out through the same hole as the bowl drain. Normally, this level is never reached as the float will have raised with the fuel level and shut off the fuel at the needle valve. The most common reason fuel drips from the overflow is because the needle valve is leaking. Don't make the mistake of trying to plug the hole as fuel will continue to leak and eventually overflow into the carburetor bore and flood the engine. My suggestion would be to first replace the needle and seat and make sure to adjust the float level properly. - MarkC

Last edited by 1of7627; 10-08-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 AM

Member #30803
Thanks for your post MarkC. Your info was appreciated. I will have to do my homework however to perform the needle valve and seat issues. Would it be appropriate to run carb cleaner throught the carburator before trying to make the adjustments. Also, I did not look thouroughly for a hose to connect on the drain. Can I assume there is such a hose located nearby? Thanks again...
Old 10-16-2012, 05:49 AM

Member #30803
OOPs. I will replace the needle valve
Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4155
I doubt you'll find the hose as the other end hangs free. If the nipple on the bottom of the float bowl is gone, you're kind of stuck but you could replace just the bowl. I've had mixed results with cleaners through the years, especially now since ethanol fuels behave worse over long term storage. I use my machines seasonally and toward the end of the season begin adding a fuel treatment for storage (ie: Stabil. They have an ethanol version now too.) Before putting them away for good (winter), I shut off the fuel valves and drain the bowls. I'm pretty anal about fuel and batteries and don't generally have much trouble. Good luck. - MarkC
Old 10-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Member #31202
I had that happen on my o2 500.

I changed out the needle and seat and it still leaked.

When I finally put the carb on my bench and sat down with it, I noticed the pin hinge hole for the float was oblong. So when the float came up to full it dropped on the backside and opened the needle up just a bit which made it over fuel and drip out.

Hope it helps.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #407
i had a issue with my 500 and 300, come to find out the oring that is on the seat was bad, change this oring and all was well, as far as leaking while running hi r's? thats different, make sure your drain tube on carb isnt letting fuel lay on the seal on the motor side of your clutch cover, it will ruin it and let it leak.
good luck!

2004 Sportsman 500
2012 Rzr 800 (street legal)
Member of Dirt Packers ATV club, St Helens, MI
Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Member #31405
Where is the overflow? I have an '01 Magnum that leaks out the bottom of the carb even when it isn't running....it just drips. No clue why
Old 11-02-2012, 03:08 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #407
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsherman View Post
Where is the overflow? I have an '01 Magnum that leaks out the bottom of the carb even when it isn't running....it just drips. No clue why
probably float seat and or oring on seat assy

2004 Sportsman 500
2012 Rzr 800 (street legal)
Member of Dirt Packers ATV club, St Helens, MI

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
2001 sportsmen 500 only leaks gas out of over flow when u throttle it

2008 polaris 500 ho leaking gas

2009 polaris 500 gas leaking from little hole by exhaust
atv carb leaking out of overflow tube
atv leaking gas out overflow#gsc.tab

brand new polaris leaking fuel from overflow

gas leaking 05 sportsman
polaris 500 idle leaks gas in front

polaris 90 carberator always has fuel overflowing

polaris sportsman 500 leaks gas from overflow

polaris sportsman leaking at overflow
why gas leaks from drain tube on polaris scrambler 500
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.