Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 06:02 AM

Member #2913
500 polaris wont start. need help please

ok this is my first post and my major concern. i have a 2004 polaris sportsman 500. and every now and then ill take it muddin. well lately this winter when it gets cold and then starter wont engage, but it will turn over, after we heat it up a while it will start. but i was wondering if anyone on here knew how to fix it. so i can crank it up and go plow some snow. thanks alot for ur help
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:56 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1422
Send a message via AIM to stayscool Send a message via Yahoo to stayscool
Do you keep a battery tender on the battery ??? The cold makes everything work harder than when it gets warmer. They are not much money and they keep the battery's fully charged my 08 and 04 500 sports sit in the shed most of the time and even after two weeks i can fire them up and go. the 04 now has a cozy spot in the garage so i can get rite to plowing.

Last edited by stayscool; 01-31-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:09 AM

Member #2913
no i dont have one on it. but i dont think its the batery. because i can still run my plow and lights and heated seats and stuff and the starter actualy makes a sound but it wont ingage. but i will look into that battery tender thing. thanks
Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
when you say heat it up, you mean like in a heated garage?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:09 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1422
Send a message via AIM to stayscool Send a message via Yahoo to stayscool
The Cold cranking amp draw is not the same when Cranking over a cold engine vs turning on your lights and other electrical items. I may be wrong it works for me good luck.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:39 PM

Member #2913
i sill try that battery tender thing. and when i mean heat it up i have a piece of heavy plastic over it with a primal heat lamp. and then i made some charcol and burnt them and then tried to warm it like that. but i finaly got it started today. i just need to kno how to fix this little problem
Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
lets start with the easy stuff. i have to agree with stayscool....your winch, headlights ect all run off of volts, but actually starting the machine takes amps. you battery can have full volts, and no amps and cause an identical problem to this. its very misleading...a battery charger can say your battery is fully charged, but it wont start the machine. all a battery charger shows it volts, not amps.

here is a link to a write up i did at this forum. it might be worth your time to read. the only way to find out for sure it to have a load test performed on the battery. basically a machine will draw a large amount of amps from the battery and see how well it supplies and recovers from the amp draw. its quick (15 seconds) and easy, and will either confirm or dismiss the battery has the culprit. Preventative Battery Maintence

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page
500 sportsman wont start
polais sportsman wont start

polaris 500 sportsman wont start

polaris 500 won't start

polaris 500 wont start

polaris atv wont start

polaris sportsman 500 wont start

polaris sportsman wont start

polaris won't start

sportsman 500 won't start
sportsman 500 wont start
why wont my polaris sportsman 500 start
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.