Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 07:22 PM

Member #13072
Aparanty the ditch in front of my house is to steep out mine end for end this afternoon........
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #9235
With or without the winch?
GoldFinger left hand throttle
and other stuff...
Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19611
last week i drove by a very steep sandy hill on my way riding...if i had to guess its probably about 50-55 degree angle...i hesitated on the way there...

but on the way back i decided to give it a go...and i made it up to the top with no problem at all...problem was getting back down as there was no place to turn around at the top. (didnt think ahead lol) I had to turn around on the hill, and it felt quite dangerous trying to get back on the trail i came up...so i went straigh down, and had to drive through the ditch to get back on the trail at the bottom...was dicey, but no problem, just be careful when going on an angle on the steep hills
Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 PM

Member #25851
Go to youtube. There are guys climbing vertical hills. Its all about how long the hill is, how gradual the transition to the hill is, and how long of a runway it is. You can climb a completely vertical hill as long as there is a smooth transition from natural ground and you can hit it fast enough to allow momentum to carry you to the top. Its all about momentum on the really steep stuff.

Heck, one time i climbed up an embankment on my dirtbike that was steeper than 90 degrees (angled back towards me). The embankment was about 8 feet tall and had a smooth transition from natural ground. I would say it reached vertical (90 degrees) about 2 feet from the top and the top foot was angled back about 20 degrees (more than vertical). I usually attack hills standing, but for this one i hit it sitting down because it was short, had a smooth transition, and i needed to pull my front end back so that it didnt hit the top foot which was angled back at me. So i hit it in first gear and just opened it up right as my front tire got to the transition at the bottom of the hill. I pull back on the bars and my front tire came off of the hill just enough to miss striking the top foot of the hill. Then my back end hit the top part of the hill and almost tossed me over the bars. My butt actually came off the seat and at the top of the hill i landed on my feet standing right beside the bike still holding the handle bars. It was awesome!

If the transition from natural ground is very abrupt (an exaggerated example would be the side of a building), then you cant hit the hill with any speed and thus you cannot achieve a high enough speed for momentum to bring you to the top. Situations with abrupt transitions from natural ground to the hill severely limit how steep of a hill you can climb. However, 25 degrees is extremely conservative. You could stop on a 25 degree hill and start again no problem with at a neutral seated position. I would say about 60 degrees would be about the limit that you could creep up.

Last edited by DSCZ71; 05-25-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
A little off topic here , but how many of you remember the hill climbs at Widowmaker??? I rode it with my buddy Gary Waddell from Omaha. I was riding one of his older bikes, A 650 Triumph bored out to 900 running on alcohol! Comments just brought back some memories. As far as the quad goes I've done almost 60 degrees, but it's hairy!!!
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
Old 05-26-2012, 02:59 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
Premium Member

Member #4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCZ71 View Post
Go to youtube. There are guys climbing vertical hills. Its all about how long the hill is, how gradual the transition to the hill is, and how long of a runway it is. You can climb a completely vertical hill as long as there is a smooth transition from natural ground and you can hit it fast enough to allow momentum to carry you to the top. Its all about momentum on the really steep stuff.

Heck, one time i climbed up an embankment on my dirtbike that was steeper than 90 degrees (angled back towards me). The embankment was about 8 feet tall and had a smooth transition from natural ground. I would say it reached vertical (90 degrees) about 2 feet from the top and the top foot was angled back about 20 degrees (more than vertical). I usually attack hills standing, but for this one i hit it sitting down because it was short, had a smooth transition, and i needed to pull my front end back so that it didnt hit the top foot which was angled back at me. So i hit it in first gear and just opened it up right as my front tire got to the transition at the bottom of the hill. I pull back on the bars and my front tire came off of the hill just enough to miss striking the top foot of the hill. Then my back end hit the top part of the hill and almost tossed me over the bars. My butt actually came off the seat and at the top of the hill i landed on my feet standing right beside the bike still holding the handle bars. It was awesome!

If the transition from natural ground is very abrupt (an exaggerated example would be the side of a building), then you cant hit the hill with any speed and thus you cannot achieve a high enough speed for momentum to bring you to the top. Situations with abrupt transitions from natural ground to the hill severely limit how steep of a hill you can climb. However, 25 degrees is extremely conservative. You could stop on a 25 degree hill and start again no problem with at a neutral seated position. I would say about 60 degrees would be about the limit that you could creep up.
You should go back and do a video of that one.
Warn XT25 on KFI Mount, Polaris Rear Cargo Box "Lock 'n Ride", Lowrance Baja 540C GPS, Custom front rack (for ice-fishing) "Lock 'n Ride" mounted, Front Cargo Box, ATV-Guru Cobra Brush Guards (with full expanded metal) Front & Rear. Maxxis Bighorns. Lock n' RideTall Windshield. Grip & Thumb Warmers. Tatou 4s Track System. High Lifter HD springs all around. Super ATV EZ Steer (power steering).
More mods to come.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:08 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!
Premium Member

Member #4618
It's more about the rider's ability than it is any limitation of the bike. 26 deg. may seem steep to some and like a level trail to others.
Warn XT25 on KFI Mount, Polaris Rear Cargo Box "Lock 'n Ride", Lowrance Baja 540C GPS, Custom front rack (for ice-fishing) "Lock 'n Ride" mounted, Front Cargo Box, ATV-Guru Cobra Brush Guards (with full expanded metal) Front & Rear. Maxxis Bighorns. Lock n' RideTall Windshield. Grip & Thumb Warmers. Tatou 4s Track System. High Lifter HD springs all around. Super ATV EZ Steer (power steering).
More mods to come.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:45 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #21337
That is the key the way down is trick!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Member #25851
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCZ71 View Post

You should go back and do a video of that one.
I regret not figuring out some way to video that every time i think about it! Good thing i had a witness or my buddies probably wouldnt have believed me! Too bad i dont have a dirt bike anymore

Anyone in the shreveport, La area wanna let me borrow one?? Haha
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Member #30336
My 2 cents on an old post... a professional driving instructor once told me "it's about how you ___ feels in the seat" (that's with cars), with an ATV I think it's about how "you feel". Confidence and gradually pushing until you find a line you are comfortable with hills, speed, turns, and technical stuff. 26 degrees should be no problem, but 0 degrees can be a problem if you don't know the trail.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page

85 degree atv hill climb

atv 25 degree hill climb
atvs climbing huge hills
best atv for steep hills

how steep before u flip over polaris rzr

how steep can a polaris climb

how steep hill can honda pioneer climb

how to climb a hill on an atv

how well does a polaris ace climb

p0laris ace hillclimb video
polaris ace hill climb
polaris razor angle to great for climb
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.