Polaris ATV Forum banner

05 sportsman 700 charging problems

11K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  xispaki 
#1 ·
I am looking for any information that someone may have as to why my 05 sportsman 700 is not charging. Have brand new battery. Tesyed charging system with a multimeter while running and goes from 12.37 volts and when revived to 3500 rpms it doesn't move, stays the same. When I turn on lights and use brake lever for rear lights the voltage goes down to 12.08 v then back up to 12.28 v with everything off. Any suggestions? Voltage regulator or stator?

#2 ·
I had similar issue, it was my stator. I thought it was several other things until i opened the side of quad and looked at Stator that had 2 areas melted. Got rebuilt at RMstator, Polaris would charge an arm and a leg. May be other things but for me, I had the same symptoms.

#3 ·
You can actually test the stator to and tell if it is good or bad. i had somewhat similar issue and also ended up replacing my stator. word of caution though... the first stator i bought came from RMSator and although it was cheap, it was also junk. i didnt read all the bad reviews on it until after the fact. in the end, i spent about $360 on new polaris stator. this one came with all connectors already in place and ended up being plug and play-- no splicing.... my suggestion, test the sator, make sure you grounds are good, then buy oem or at least avoid rm stator...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.