Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Member #2957
No power to 500 HO

2008 polaris 500 ho. There is no power when I turn the key. Initially, this happened and I traced it down to a broken wire (red, power lead coming off the ignition switch). I spliced that wire and everything was working fine. However, I decided to fix some broken headlight wiring before putting it all back together. Once I was was done with that, I now have no power when I turn the key. Checked fuses and the 20a MAIN fuse was blown. Replaced it with a good one and disconnected the headlight wiring I had just repaired (expecting a short there). Still no power. Rechecked the fuses and they are fine. There are three square relays (two 20a, one 50a) amidst this wiring. What do these do? Could it be one of them and how do I test them? Is there another inline fuse somewhere? With the key on, I do read 12v on the red power lead exiting the ignition switch, but read nothing at the fuse panel. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
First off, welcome to the forums!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Member #2957
Thanks Bruce!

I reseated all fuses and "off/on'd" the kill switch; then got power back. Thought I did that a couple times, but evidently didn't do a good enough job. I reconnected everything and started it up. It ran about ten seconds, then blew the MAIN 20 fuse again and that is where it sits as I am out of fuses.

I am not sure what caused the ignition wire to break, it did not appear to be rubbing against anything. There were two other wires that had exposed copper but were not broke. I taped those up, but wonder if there are more and that is my problem. Unfortunately, that may mean a new wiring harness (which I am told is $300). Is there an "easy" way to determine what is causing the short / overload? I wonder about the power outlet in the light housing and will disconnect that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Search tags for this page

12v short stop for polaris sportsman

2001 polaris 500 main fuse location

2001 polaris sportsman 400 fuse box location

2001 polaris sportsman 500 no power

2009 polaris 500 ho no power to switch

fuse box on 2001 polaris atv

in line fuses for polaris 500

polaris 500 predator in line fuze for ingnition

polaris sportsman 400 starter relay overload

polaris sportsman 500 circuit breaker

polaris sportsman 500 no power

shortstop 12v 20a

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.