Polaris ATV Forum banner

Engine coolant preferences

27K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bluebowtie 
#1 ·
OK, went out riding today, temp in the low 90's and did just trails and a couple long hills but nothing too steep, but enough to push the engine pretty good. My ATV is a 2007 Sportsman 800 and I have 1200 miles on it and have never changed the coolant. After about 1/2 hour it started flashing hot. I rinsed the radiator out the previous evening and it looked pretty clean. Just changed the oil(mobile 1)

My questions are does the coolant go bad and what type of coolant works the best for you all? I haven't checked the thermostat yet.

Stetam

#2 ·
Any coolant will work. Much like the oils. Just use proper weights of oil. Motors can't tell the difference.

#3 ·
I hear polaris coolant has some special additive in it (equivalent to area 51 chit) so most people run polaris coolant other wise i have heard of people running engine ice. Although i believe you shouldnt run engine ice in the winter.

Sent while not working too hard

#5 ·
I use 50/50 pre-diluted Prestone made for all engine types. I've had to change my coolant twice in the last year to change the oil seal and the water pump seal. I've overheated for mud in the radiator but none I can attribute to the antifreeze.

Stew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.