Polaris ATV Forum banner

2007 Sportsman 800 starter problems

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  GAT222 
#1 ·
every time i go to start it the starter engages for a second then it disengages and stops, but if i turn the key off and then turn it back on it will start fine, this happens every time i go to start it, please help me i need this thing fixed, let me know what you think.

#2 ·
Same, but different problem.

I have a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 800 with similar problems. Recently my machine won't always start and then even when it does the winch won't work and then at times only the "out" will work on the winch, not the "in". What's odd is that the battery seams fine and the lights are strong yet often I'll have a flashing fuel gauge or a starter will want to crank but stops abruptly and then clicks.

#3 ·
you may have a dead cell in the battery. It has enough amps to run the lights but not enough to run the winch and starter. It will still meter out at 12 volts but will have no amperage.

#4 ·
starter issue

Very good point about the battery, the Polaris batteries first are crazy expensive but second if they dont have enough amps they will jack around with your starter and other accessories, BUT so too will the ignition switch 50.00 bucks by the way. The switch contacts can get worn and by switching it off and turning it again will make intermmittent contact.

#5 ·
Problem solved, problems found.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I replaced the battery and as for now the starting problem is solved (I will get the old battery tested and let you all know the results). Now here are the new issues found (with my recent used purchase of a 2007 Sportsman 800): 1. I have a fuel gauge that flashes and displays different levels of fuel periodically. 2. The winch works most frequently in the "out" position but rarely in the "in" position. 3. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, my 4 wheel drive doesn't engage, the display shows it does but the wheels in front do not spin in the mud when I tested it.

FYI, when I replaced the battery I found and cleaned, what looked to be several grounding points on the left side of the frame. Additionally, I took this machine to Polaris of High Point NC to have them thoroughly inspect the vehicle before I bought it and while I did pay a hearty bill (to the guys that were nice and helpful), these are but a few of the things they missed. I will follow up with them Thursday but as for today the piggy bank is broken and we are in the middle of trying to start a small chicken farm, so all your help is very much appreciated. Thank you all and God bless. - Steve

#7 ·
flashing fuel light

Could be as simple as connection to sending unit to fuel tank or corroded connections, if not may be the sending unit itself. I know you can check these with ohm meter but not sure of what reading should be...
The winch, well I have had several buddies with winch issues on polaris until they got rid of the polaris winches and bought "Warn". Took one apart one time wouldn't believe the mud and crap that is up inside these things.

The 4 wheel drive is an issue I am not familiar with but I know these machines have sensors for everything.

Gat

#8 ·
fuel flashing

Found on another atv forum.

Re: stupid blinking gas gauge again

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check to see if it only flashes when all the boxes are not solid showing what level of fuel you have on the gauge. If your level changes often i am almost 100% sure that is your problem. The sending unit is in the tank, it is part of the fuel pump assembly. Check to see if the connections are tight on the top, maybe take them off, clean the connections and put some dielectric grease in them, see if that helps. If it still does it then you are probably looking at replacing the fuel pump assembly as it is all 1 assembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.