Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #9763
Step away from it for a minute and breath. lol. I know it gets frustrating, but your axles should be fine. Just dislocated, easy to put back together. As for getting them out of the diff, you may need to get a buddy to help you to apply pressure on one side of the axle cup, while you pry on the other side. I do caution about prying against the diff., but I have done it before with no issues like kicker431 stated. I just didn't want to tell you it was ok to do so, have it break, and then say lostcause is an A hole. lol. Also just a little note, I say pry on the other side, but what I really mean is to 'pop' it. So, while your buddy is applying pressure to the side of the cup toward the rear of the machine, you take a pry bar between the cup and the diff on the front side, and 'pop' it. That 'pop', or quick, sudden pressure, is what will overcome the axle clip pressure. Hopefully that is written so you can understand it? For some reason I am having a hard time explaining it.
29.5 S/W OUTLAWS ON ITP SS312
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV BILLET CAGE IN FRONT DIFF.
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
WELDED LOW GEAR IN TRANSMISSION
QUAD SHOP CUSTOMS CLUTCHING
TRIANGLE ATV STEALTH SNORKLE
TRIANGLE ATV REAR RACK PLATE WITH AMMO CANS
RIDE N'REST BACKREST W/FROSTY BEVERAGE HOLDER
K&N AIR FILTER
PURE POLARIS FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR RACK EXTENDERS
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #28136
I don't know that you could do it, and still reuse the CV joint cup, but I used a 10 inch vise grip to attach a dent puller to the CV cup, and pulled mine out that way. It was not just "popping" the retaining ring out. There was some crud/rust in there that was holding it together. So even after getting the retaining ring out of its groove, I still had to keep using the slide weight on the dent puller to get the axle all the way out. Prior to this, I had tried putting different wonder bars and screw drivers under the cup and popping it with a hammer to get it free. Nothing seemed to work.

No fun task...ranks right up there with pulling an axle bearing out. Neither are fun...

Good luck to you,
Sean

2006 X2 500 (sold)
- Purchased in 2011 with 250sh hours and 2500sh miles
- 26" Trilobite HD tires on 12" SS108 rims
- Cabela's (Warn RT) 2500 winch
- Front rack extender
- Front brush guard

2008 Sportsman 300
- Purchased in 2012 with 25 hours on it
- UNI air filter
- Polaris 1500 winch

2011 X2 550
- Purchased in 2012 with 58 hours on it
- Polaris 2500 winch
- Front lock and ride storage box
- Bighorn 2s all around

2012 RZR 570
- Purchased Dec 2013
- Viper Elite 3500 winch.

Last edited by Boburk; 11-01-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #13197
I would take the front diff out with the axles still in. Then take the diff apart and bang the axles out and fix what needs fixing.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 PM

Member #30498
yeah i know im a little frustrated, with the given time constraints, i need to have this thing fixed in time for our thanksgiving ride at river run.... ugh.... hey lost cause, you mentioned that you ride in jacksonville also... i dont suppose you live anywhere near houston, do you?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #9763
No. I live 2 hours north of dallas. River Run is my favorite park. Unfortunately I don't know when i'll get to ride there again since I am in Afghanistan for a year.
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
K&N AIR FILTER
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM

Member #30498
interesting, i just got my Hon Disch. in the mail saturday haha, ok i see now you are from witchita falls, are you a 132A by any chance? i seriously almost extended just to try and become a chopper pilot... if i could do it over again, i would have done it in the beginning.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #9763
No, i'm a Navy Seabee. I was out at Sheppard teaching the electrical school. Pole climbing, power distribution, motors and controllers, interior wiring, etc. Maybe next time I head out to RR i'll try to look you up. I usually ride with some guys from Team Scuba.
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
K&N AIR FILTER
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 PM

Member #30498
thats cool, i actually was an engineer in the army, as a matter of fact, i did my mos training at gulfport, small world, huh.... anywho, here's the update.....

bought some pry bars and whaddaya know, i eventually got the axles out, gonna need to grind all the marrs on the side of the diff but oh well..., of course, the ''sockets'' as i am now calling them, for the axles were full of mud.... i digress

got the diff out, noticed something strange, as i was going to remove it, i turned the key on and put the awd on in order to find the right pigtail to disconnect, well, before i could disconnect the pigtail, the AWD light on the dash would not come on...... at this stage the radiator was out, the prop shaft was out, the axles were out and the diff was ''unmounted'' from the frame, is there some kind of ''install sensor'' that turns off AWD when the axles are out or the diff is moved?? i sure hope so, anyway, i kinda already knew which plug it was so i disconnected it no problemo....

cracked the case open and here is what i see, i havent removed anything because i dont want another ''axle joint episode'' so i am ready for advice and suggestions....
Attached Thumbnails
front diff removal woes-imag0174.jpg   front diff removal woes-imag0175.jpg   front diff removal woes-imag0176.jpg   front diff removal woes-imag0177.jpg  
Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 PM

Member #30498
ok, so being as impatient as i am, i went ahead and removed the cage, seemed like a harmless venture, let me tell you something, that sucker was dirty AF! i took it out, and soaked everything in the diff with carb cleaner EXCEPT the cage cause i know some plastics dont agree with carb cleaner, and then i cleaned everything and soaked everything this time with PB. the rollers actually have dirt that is caked on them pretty badly, im soaking them in PB also and then im going to scrub them back to new condition, nothing seems cracked/broken, the cage appears to be perfectl fine, im of the mindset that everything was just siezed from the mud being in there for so long.... i have heard rumors about magging/demagging something, wondering if anyone else knows something about that....
Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
Glad you persevered. Congratulations. That one stymies almost all of us for a while. When you do get around to putting them back in, remember a good coating of never seize.
Certainly looks like water got in somewhere. Looks like a wire brushing is in order. Inspect for cracks, change the seals, and put it back together.
I had lost track of your original problem. You were trying to get this out because you had no AWD after filling it with transmission fluid. These machines are very picky about fluid in the front diff. You may have been able to tank it up with Polaris Demand Drive fluid and been OK. But since you had water, not a bad idea to find where it was coming from.
Someone with a little mor experience here will hopefully chime in as well.
LostCause, stay safe brother, and thanks for serving. I got out of the Infantry in 2002.
RotoPax 2+2 gallon Fuel Packs, EPI HD Springs (all 4 corners) 26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

HERS:2007 Sportsman 700 EFI Black Metallic
Tamarack Cargo Seat, Fender Guards with footpegs from Thor, UNI air filter, Symtec heated grips
Warn 2500 with synthetic rope, ThermoTec exhaust wrap, Reverse Override, 3 Headlight Mod
26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Tags
axle, diff, differential, sportsman

Search tags for this page
front differential removal 2007 polaris ranger

how many hours to pull polaris atv front diff

how to open front differential case on 2003 polaris sportsman 700

how to split 2013 polaris sportsman 500 differential case
jd front differential fluid in polaris sportsman

polaris ranger front differential

polaris rzr front axle stuck

polaris sportsman front differential

remove front differential 2005 sportsman 700

removed front differential 2007 polaris sportsman 800

removing front differential from polaris rzr with winch
sportsman 800 front diff removal
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.