Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Polaris Sportsman Discussions for the Polaris Sportsman 90, 300, 355, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 700, 800, 850

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 AM

Member #30498
front diff removal woes

2005 polaris sportsman 800

ok, so here's the breakdown of what went down and where im at

the night before the last ride my buddy and i are packing everything up and he asks me if i ever checked my diff fluids, i said no. he said, you should, so i did, and whaddaya know, my front diff was full of chocolate milk. so we drained it, filled it with tanny fluid, ran it, drained it and did that till the fluid was clean, checked AWD, nothing. looked up what fluid to use, went and bought it, replaced the tranny fluid with the on demand fluid, drained, filled, etc etc, fluid came out clean, refilled, checked AWD, nothing... ok, so i have no front wheel drive, must have broken or siezed up something in the diff.... ok, gotta crack open the diff....

ok, so i removed the roll pin in the back of the diff to the prop shaft (thats a WHOLE nother story, trust me...) dropped the a arm out of the spindle, popped off the axle nut, now im yanking on the axle to get it out... oye vey...

ive wedged a fork inbetween the cup and the diff and ive yanked on it for about an hour now, all ive managed to do so far is dislocate the outer knuckle and tear the outer boot....

ive managed to get about an 1/8'' gap between the cup and the diff, i already pulled 2 axles out of another sportsman last week, it was difficult, but not THIS bad... wtf do i do, i dont want to break anything more than i already have and i have 3 weeks to get this thing apart, parts ordered and re assembled

yes, i do know that i can order john deere gator parts for this diff, and no i dont know how to do that, and yes, i would like to know
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #9763
spray them with pb blaster and let it soak. Then just yank on them and hope they pop out. If that isn't working then you can try to pry them out, but you need to apply pressure to one side, and then pop the other side. By carefull not to pry against the diff. though because you could break the case. If you still cant get it out, you can take the axle out of the innner cup, and weld a slide hammer to the inner cup.
29.5 S/W OUTLAWS ON ITP SS312
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV BILLET CAGE IN FRONT DIFF.
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
WELDED LOW GEAR IN TRANSMISSION
QUAD SHOP CUSTOMS CLUTCHING
TRIANGLE ATV STEALTH SNORKLE
TRIANGLE ATV REAR RACK PLATE WITH AMMO CANS
RIDE N'REST BACKREST W/FROSTY BEVERAGE HOLDER
K&N AIR FILTER
PURE POLARIS FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR RACK EXTENDERS
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #9763
As for the john deer parts, here you go.

John Deer Front Diff. parts fit Sportsman!
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
K&N AIR FILTER
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
I was trying to replace a drive axle a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get it out either. Nothing was working. I ended up pulling the axle on the other side and punching the axle out that I wanted out with a 12 lb sledge and a 4 foot steel bar. Thankfully I had replaced the other axle last year and it wasn't as stuck in as the one that I truly wanted out.

HERS:2007 Sportsman 700 EFI Black Metallic
Tamarack Cargo Seat, Fender Guards with footpegs from Thor, UNI air filter, Symtec heated grips
Warn 2500 with synthetic rope, ThermoTec exhaust wrap, Reverse Override, 3 Headlight Mod
26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

RIP Sarge (2004 Sportsman 700 EFI killed on trail 32, Rock House, Hatfield-McCoy)
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 PM

Member #30498
ok, i will try the other side then and see what happens, also, what about my outer knuckle? its completely dislocated inside the boot now and i tried everything to get it popped back into place.... did i seriously just break it?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #9763
You probably just pulled it apart. You will need to remove the boot to put it back together.
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
K&N AIR FILTER
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
Yeah, as Lostcause says. The races are probably rotated around so the opening isn't centered anymore. Of you can get the band off without ruining it, just pull the boot back a little and realign the races, pop the shaft back in, and reapply the clp.
I just picked up some pretty heavy duty Lisle CV Boot clamp pliers for earless type bands on amazon. I was impressed with how heavy they are and with how quick the order showed up.

Tamarack Cargo Seat, Fender Guards with footpegs from Thor, UNI air filter, Symtec heated grips
Warn 2500 with synthetic rope, ThermoTec exhaust wrap, Reverse Override, 3 Headlight Mod
26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

RIP Sarge (2004 Sportsman 700 EFI killed on trail 32, Rock House, Hatfield-McCoy)
Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 PM

Member #30498
alright now im seriously fucking pissed..... i just had the ''driver'' side axle sit all day with pb, still wont budge, so moved to the ''passenger'' side axle, this time, i managed to dislocate the INNER joint on that axle... WTF i have now possibly ruined TWO perfectly good axles! this is seriously fucked up. im so close to using my sawzall right now...

so... now wtf do i do???
Old 10-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
First off, don't write off the axles. They really aren't that hard to rebuild. Yesterday a posted an extensive write up on how to do that.
Of they are just dislocated, then they Just need popped back in. As lostcause and I have said you just need to undo the clamp to pull the boot back, put the shaft back in properly, and reseat the boot.
As far as getting the axles out:
What had worked for me is to wedge about 3 different things in between the inner joint cup and the differential. I use assorted pry bars, crow bars, and large screwdrivers. They need to be at all different angles to apply even pressure around the cup. Once those are firmly wedged in, beat the piss out of the axle cup. The pressure exerted by the pry bars, added to the jarring from the beating, should loosen it up. If that doesn't work, try a large pry bar in from one angle, then beat the in er joint cup from the opposite angle. The pry bar can somewhat act as a fulcrum as you pound the other direction.
I know people, even my buddy Lostcause, will warn not to pry on the differential this way. I can tell you mine is scared in a couple of places, but I haven't been able to crack it. And I've given it some pretty good beatings.
You are attempting to accomplish THE HARDEST thing I have ever done with my ATVs. The pulling in the axle from the differential is a real PIA.

26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

Last edited by KICKER431; 10-31-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #17395
You need a really big pry bar, like a couple feet long. That's what it took to get my rear axles out. And your cv axles aren't ruined you can fix them yourself like the other guys said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris Model Specific Discussions > Polaris Sportsman

Tags
axle, diff, differential, sportsman

Search tags for this page
05 sportsman 800 front diff assembly
anyone have problems removing front axle on polaris 800 ranger?
front differential removal 2007 polaris ranger
how long to remove front diff on sportsman 800?

how many hours to pull polaris atv front diff

how to change front housing bearings on a 2003 polaris sportsman 700

how to open front differential case on 2003 polaris sportsman 700

jd front differential fluid in polaris sportsman

polaris ranger front differential

polaris ranger straight axle remove

polaris sportsman front differential

removed front differential 2007 polaris sportsman 800

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.