Polaris ATV Forum banner

Idle Problems 2007 Sportsman X2 500EFI

18K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  slyder01 
#1 ·
This is not an uncommon problem as I have seen many posts but for some reason none of the responses seem to help my issue. My 2007 X2 500 EFI will not idle correctly. I have tried adjusting the cable as most suggest with no luck. I adjust it so there is about a 1/16 inch gap between the kill switch contacts, again no luck. I have changed the spark plug as that was also suggested, no luck. Depending on the adjustment I make to the cable the "Check Engine" light will come on. I can have the key on but it is not running and the "Check Engine" light is on. I adjust the cable and the light will go off. However, it still idles poorly. I'm at a loss and was hoping to get some other suggestions before I shell out the $100, $200 or even $300 at the dealership to get it fixed. I have seen some posts about the RZR in which people indicate that the "TPS" may be at fault but I'm not even sure if my has at "TPS" and if it does is it something I should attempt to correct on my own?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
I friend of mine has an 08 700 x2 and he has issues as well. What he does is removes the air cleaner and reaches into the back of the carb with a clean rad and cleans the butterfly. That what the dealer showed him and it does work, but then again that's a twin and i dont believe the 500's are twins. Give it a try,, maybe it will work

#5 ·
i assume you mean throttle body, and not carb, as and EFI machine wont have a carb on it?

you dealer would not have cleaned the throttle body on a service if it was running correctly. thats not something that gets done. i assume the last time it was in for service it ran fine? Cant really blame the dealer for not fixing something that wasnt broken yet.

if your getting dirt on the throttle body, you have something wrong with the air filter. and you are also at running a high risk of taking out the rings.

yes, you do have a TPS (throttle position sensor) every single EFI machine has a TPS. yes, you TPS could be bad, and could be the problem. could also be the timing is off, could also be the ECM needs reflashed to a new fuel map, could also be the crank position sensor.

all of this really cant be diagnosed by you. the sad news about owning an EFI machine. it sounds like you need to get your machine to the dealer so they can hook it up to the computer and find out what is causing it to idle so rough.

it is throwing any check engine codes?

#6 ·
yes, throttle body, and my friends machine was brand new,only 100 miles when his would idle real high or wouldnt idle so he took it in and that is what they did and told him the machine was sensitive. But i still think there is something wrong, cause it still does it from time to time and cleaning doesnt help anymore. We've had trouble with this dealr before with warranty work, seems he just doesnt want to do it

#8 ·
that sucks. i can see how a dirty butterfly valve would cause issues. might not allow it to to move as it should. just wanted to make sure we were on the same page :beerchug:

sorry to hear about your crappy dealer. that makes it really difficult. so its still doing it?

#7 ·
Well the last time I took it in (September), which was for a oil change, they asked if anything else was wrong. I did tell them that the idle seemed to be off a bit. It was the same when I got it back but I didn't say anything as it wasn't that bad. We went to MOAB and on the third day it got really bad. That's when I started trying to find a fix. As far a codes go. The Check Engine light comes on and then goes off. So I don't believe I'm getting any sort of true code. I guess it'll be best if I take it in. The things you're describing are above my pay grade. Of course, I'm still open to suggestions if someone has them. Thanks.

#9 ·
do you know how to go into diagnostic mode. if not i think i remember how to explain it. you should do that when the check engine light comes on, it should give you a code. if you take it to the dealer, they can pull the history of the codes thrown to get a better idea what might be going on.

you def. have something out of wack, and thats why you get the check engine light

#10 ·
yes, from time to time, crappy dealer isn't the name,,,lol. I had purchased 4 quads from this dealer since 2004 and now I got my new xp 3 weeks ago from another dealer. I gave them a chance which they were 850 dollars higher from another dealer who never even seen me before. I stopped in 2 weeks after my purchase to renew my club card, a riding club i belong, well didnt the roof come off the place!! The owner starts yelling about me buying a machine somewhere else... Can you believe that! Let's just say after that incident, which alot was said on his behalf and i didnt say much, I'm never steppin foot in their doors again! Shit, I spent damn near 25K in that store

#12 ·
and i agree, i mean he even complained about people buying off the internet, and i told him i never did, i bought all my parts from them as well. which at times i could have saved a few bucks

#14 ·
know what you mean, everything i heard was "F" this and "F" that! He even called the owner of the other dealership where i purchased mine, which was a lady, a whore! This guy even gets quads from them if he doesnt have one in stock and they do. Man if only i would tell her what he said.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.